ER/ICU pharmacist, do i have a shot at DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STL biotech

Reaction score
I've been working in the ER and ICU for 4 years. Thinking about taking a year to throw everything at the MCAT.

My grad school GPA is just a 3.1. Only 1 or 2 Cs but very few As. I have the time and energy for MCAT and shadowing/volunteering but is there even a shot at getting into a osteopath program with a GPA like that in a grad/doctorate degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will admit first thing I thought when seeing thread title was that someone was shot at a DO school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you spend the year taking additional upper division science classes while studying for the MCAT?

I could, I have 3 days off per week plus 6 weeks vacation. Are online courses reasonable?

Yes. I think there's a handful of DO schools that won't take online credits though.

I've been working in the ER and ICU for 4 years. Thinking about taking a year to throw everything at the MCAT.

My grad school GPA is just a 3.1. Only 1 or 2 Cs but very few As. I have the time and energy for MCAT and shadowing/volunteering but is there even a shot at getting into a osteopath program with a GPA like that in a grad/doctorate degree?

I am guessing your grad school gpa is your pharm school gpa..... it also depends on your undergrad gpa

I am guessing your grad school gpa is your pharm school gpa..... it also depends on your undergrad gpa
I did an accelerated program, High school-PharmD over 6 years no bachelor in the middle. Just got the transcript sent it just says GPA 3.18.

I did an accelerated program, High school-PharmD over 6 years no bachelor in the middle. Just got the transcript sent it just says GPA 3.18.

Did you not take university courses as pre req's? Undergrad GPA is based on that

GPA is meh for DO schools. Lethal at mine and several others. I'm worried that you will struggle

Thanks, I appreciate the honesty.

Needed a 3.0 to keep scholarship so I just aimed for a B In everything all through school, regretting it big time now

Thanks, I appreciate the honesty.

Needed a 3.0 to keep scholarship so I just aimed for a B In everything all through school, regretting it big time now
I think you would be okay, I disagree that you would struggle. If you can make it through pharmacy school, you could make it through medical school with the effort. ER/ICU pharmacy is difficult, I talk with the pharmacists daily at work and they are some of the sharpest people I've met. Shadow, do well on the MCAT and some volunteering and you're good.

Reactions: 1 users