ER/Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that the best way to get certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine (not even sure if there is such a thing?) is to do an ER residency and then a Peds fellowship. Anyone have any thoughts on this plan or on one of the handful of Peds/EM residencies that are out there (I saw 13)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to do Peds EM... 3 yrs then 2 yrs fellowship..as opposed to 3 years then 3 years....that is b/c I want to be able to work in EM whether I do peds or not..if you would rather do peds and not adult pts, then do it the other way

i'm wanting to do peds/er too and was also wondering on this topic.

there are two ways to be pediatric emergency medicine certified.

one is to do a three year peds residency followed by a three years peds em fellowship. you can only see pediatrics in the er (i.e. you can not see adult patients).

the second is to complete an em residency, then do a 2 year peds em fellowship. you would be able to be board certified in both emergency medicine and pediatric emergency medicine. in other words, you could see both adults and peds in the er.

finally, if you complete an emergency medicine residency, then you are qualified to see both adults and pediatrics in the er. most likely you won't be working primarly in a children's hospital er (as those are staffed mainly by pediatric emergency medicine trained physicians). i'm not sure if that's clear but basically if you do a em residency (3 or 4 years) than you can see whatever walks through the door. if you practice in a community er, you will probably be seeing a good portion of peds as well. of course, i think that doing a fellowship in peds er makes you much better at peds. if you look at the curriculum at most er programs, there's only 3 mos dedicated to peds er... and then whatever you happen to see in the "adult" er's.

Yeah, I think the best thing to do would be to match ER, and then do a Peds fellowship after that. The only potential problem would be moving again (for me, at least).

Originally posted by Idiopathic
WHY DONT YOU QUIT FOLLOWING ME!!! ;)

Yep. Considering many things right now.
Noticed that too. She seems to be a little on the creepy side of things sometimes.

I think its odd that if you do the EM --> Peds fellowship route you only need two years of extra training but if you do Peds --> Peds EM you need three years to be board certified.

The AAP decided flat-rate that peds fellowships were all 3 years. The EM peds fellowships that are two years, it looks like, if there are peds EM fellowships at the same place (follow me?), will be pressured to go to 3, for equity.

Gotcha...

It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult for the AAP to exert pressure on the EM based PEDS EM fellowships...all they have to do is refuse to allow board eligibilty for two year programs. Of course it's probably more complicated than that.