ER residency after Pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windycitygirl

kiddie doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my 2nd year of pediatrics, but after rotating in the ER, I have realized that I would love to do ER. While I have no intention of leaving my residency (love the kids too much, and I would like to be board-certified Peds), afterwards I would like to possibly pursue ER residency (both Peds EM fellowship and ER are both 3 years, it just seems more practical and more marketable to pursue the EM residency vs. the fellowship.) I have spoked to several of our Peds ER attendings (both ER-trained and Peds-trained) who are suggesting pursuing ER residency after my Peds training.

What are the limitations (besides Medicare funding) and does anyone know of programs who take people who have completed a different residency? And what is the market like at this time for people who have completed a Peds ER fellowship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're certainly more marketable doing EM after Peds. If you want to do academic Peds EM, you might be limited not being PEM trained, but obviously you'll be able to handle adults as well as kids, and probably get better procedure skills if you do an EM residency.

The job market is wide-open for EM grads, and certainly would be more so for Peds and EM trained. PEM grads I think still have a lot of options, but you'll be way more marketable as both EM and Peds.

It will certainly be harder to get a residency after completing one, but EM gets transfers from lots of different fields so it's nothing new.

Our program traditionally takes 2-3 people per year who have finished a previous residency. Our program director finds that they bring a wealth of information and diversity to the program and therefore usually ranks them fairly well if they seem to be a fit. PM me if you have any questions. And by the way we have three Peds BC residents right now in the program in EM-1 and EM-2 years.

totalbodypain said:
Our program traditionally takes 2-3 people per year who have finished a previous residency. Our program director finds that they bring a wealth of information and diversity to the program and therefore usually ranks them fairly well if they seem to be a fit. PM me if you have any questions. And by the way we have three Peds BC residents right now in the program in EM-1 and EM-2 years.

Windy City Girl- Come to Grand Rapids! They're dying to have more Peds-EM trained doctors. There are 3 on staff now and want more. In 2010, the DeVos Children's Hospital (still in the same physical building as Spectrum) is will have it's own free-standing 8 story building with a separate Peds ED. Right now we see 135,000 patients per year with roughly 30% peds. If you speak Spanish, you're in luck too...big Hispanic population in GR, if not 24 hour translators.

Check out the program www.grmerc.net if you were to start an EM residency in 2007 you'd be done to start at the new hospital (assuming you want to stay in the area). Our hospital is a tertiary care hospital with 40 pediatric subspecialty groups.

Hope this helps. IM me if you have any other questions.