ER residency as an FMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaysun2234

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on the experiences of the members of this forum, what are the chances for a FMG with Step 1/2 scores of 240? I realize that there are several programs that regularly take FMG's such as Wayne State, but It also appears that regardless of one's scores and grades, there are programs that will not look at you at all. I am looking for a respectable 1-3 program, and wondered what other locations I should look at. Thank you for any help you can render,.......................J :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Well, I think there is no way of predicting if any program in particular is going to take you or not. The thing is, there are various types of FMGs.. FMGs who are citizens or GC holders and thus have no visa issues, FMGs with visa issues, FMGs from the carribean etc etc... So it does make a difference where ur from... Also, most programs are too polite... all they'll say is: "We accept all applications received through ERAS" to the question: "Do you accept applications from foreign medical graduates?"

Because of the competition, it does'nt make too much of a difference if you have a good score... your 240 is competing against a 210 of an american senior... and it'll be treated just like that... (atleast thats what i think!...) Ive applied as well with a 242 (I'm an FMG offcourse). I would suggest that you apply to loads of places... and aim for the relatively new programs rather than the old established ones... they'll be difficult to get into even for american seniors...

Just my 2 cents.. hope it helps you in getting some idea..
Best of luck!
samdaman

I applied to 80 programs, got interviews in 5- am in a 1-3 year program now. If I had to do it overe again, I'd apply to all the programs. In a few years, the money won't matter.
Alternatively, just apply to programs that have taken FMGs in the past. Good luck, and never give up! PS And don't get too hung up on the scores, I scored 209/215 and still got in, beating an FMG with a near perfect score.

80 programs!!! WOW... thats a lot of money... I've applied to 51 and i'm still sulking over the money...
Scores really dont mean all that much... but then they ARE used by most programs as a screening tool... I think!