ER spots unfilled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any of you find out what percentage of spots went unfilled this year?

Members don't see this ad.

shortbread9 said:
Can any of you find out what percentage of spots went unfilled this year?

the final match stats come out tommorow at noon, but before scramble there were 33 spots left, I would guess most of them are filled...I think there are a total of like 1300-1400 EM spots.

so 2.5% or so unfilled pre match..

Members don't see this ad :)
Any truth to the fact that your program will be able to know exactly where you ranked them? Or do they just find out where everyone matched that they ranked?

corpsmanUP said:
Any truth to the fact that your program will be able to know exactly where you ranked them? Or do they just find out where everyone matched that they ranked?

Dude, yup, and you better hope they don't look this year because your particular program director is notorious for it at Iowa. If the program finds out you ranked it THIRD, you're... well, I don't want to speculate, but 'screwed' comes to mind!

I'd mea culpa and tell them now and hope it's not too late... they might still let you be chief resident (or at least do the schedule) if you play your cards right... G'luck!

bulgethetwine said:
Dude, yup, and you better hope they don't look this year because your particular program director is notorious for it at Iowa. If the program finds out you ranked it THIRD, you're... well, I don't want to speculate, but 'screwed' comes to mind!

I'd mea culpa and tell them now and hope it's not too late... they might still let you be chief resident (or at least do the schedule) if you play your cards right... G'luck!

Quit messing with him. Corpsman, Turtle MD has it correctly in his post. Programs do NOT know where you ranked them but they DO find out where everyone they ranked matched.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Quit messing with him. Corpsman, Turtle MD has it correctly in his post. Programs do NOT know where you ranked them but they DO find out where everyone they ranked matched.

- H

Awww, just a lil fun with the new 'terns! :)

Nobody would care, anyway, where you ranked them. Programs are just happy they filled.

Time to enjoy things a little, Corpsman. The race is over, and you were one of the victors. Take a day or two off your blogspot, enjoy the tourney and your family, and stop stressin'.

FoughtFyr said:

- H

Why would program directors care anway? All that should matter is that good, competent people matched.

GeneralVeers said:
Why would program directors care anway? All that should matter is that good, competent people matched.

Yeah. What he said.

GeneralVeers said:
Just playing the devils advocate but wouldnt they want to feel loved as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
bulgethetwine said:
Awww, just a lil fun with the new 'terns! :)

Nobody would care, anyway, where you ranked them. Programs are just happy they filled.

Time to enjoy things a little, Corpsman. The race is over, and you were one of the victors. Take a day or two off your blogspot, enjoy the tourney and your family, and stop stressin'.

Well thanks, had I not read this on my Blackberry I was wholeheartedly ready to end my life and jump off this ledge. Now I'll just enjoy the view and postulate how I might one day be as eloquent. :laugh: I'm thinking you better loosen the "Twine"; I think its wrapped around your neck!

corpsmanUP said:
Well thanks, had I not read this on my Blackberry I was wholeheartedly ready to end my life and jump off this ledge. Now I'll just enjoy the view and postulate how I might one day be as eloquent. :laugh: I'm thinking you better loosen the "Twine"; I think its wrapped around your neck!

Well, eloquence IS a worthy goal; another is command of the English language ("it's wrapped around [my] neck"). To say nothing of your interesting turn of phrase two posts ago in which your question presupposed the answer.

Welcome to the NBA, gunner.

bulgethetwine said:
Well, eloquence IS a worthy goal; another is command of the English language ("it's wrapped around [my] neck"). To say nothing of your interesting turn of phrase two posts ago in which your question presupposed the answer.

Welcome to the NBA, gunner.

That's right man, call me gunner Daddy! Door gunner that is...just remember that you never hear the one that gets ya.. :sleep: ;)

With no more King/Drew this year it's going to be much harder for the scramble people. Good luck to those unfortunate souls.

Yeah but didnt' a few new programs open up? I guess they probably will fill with normal match since they are in nice cities. But yeah times coming soon only 2 more months!

With no more King/Drew this year it's going to be much harder for the scramble people. Good luck to those unfortunate souls.

You probably made the collective sphincter tone of applicants this year increase 3-fold. :eek:

There have been a few programs that increased their class size over last year...USF for example went from 6 to 10, and there have been a couple of new programs. Applications are way up though (according to many PD's), so it's going to be tougher than in the past to match into EM regardless.

You probably made the collective sphincter tone of applicants this year increase 3-fold. :eek:

I couldn't afford to purchase that bejeweled bracelet for my gal this Christmas. I want to thank y'all for giving me my very own diamond-maker right here in my carharts. Thanks!!!

There have been a few programs that increased their class size over last year...USF for example went from 6 to 10, and there have been a couple of new programs. Applications are way up though (according to many PD's), so it's going to be tougher than in the past to match into EM regardless.

The PD at Corpus Christi told me they had 60 applicants for EACH of their 8 intern spots. These are spots not even in the ERAS match. I would definitely not count on new programs having open spots.

This is really making me rethink cancelling any of my last 4 interviews.

The PD at Corpus Christi told me they had 60 applicants for EACH of their 8 intern spots. These are spots not even in the ERAS match. I would definitely not count on new programs having open spots.

Wow, that makes things even more competitive than I thought.

It seemed like most places had 90-100 applications per spot this year as well, based on what a few PD's mentioned on the interview trail.

Now my sphincter tone will be increased until March 16.

It seemed like most places had 90-100 applications per spot this year as well, based on what a few PD's mentioned on the interview trail.

EM has been very competitive the last few years, and it's probably going to get even harder as more and more people seek a profession that's interesting, has good salary/low hours, and good lifestyle.

The thing PDs can do to help is during the scramble/match, try to take people actually INTERESTED in EM, rather than surgery rejects with high board scores. Our PD picked all of these applicants last year who were on their 2nd, or even 3rd residency. He loved their high board scores, but our intern class was not very eager to do EM. It was frustrating trying to teach a bunch of interns who have no interest in doing procedures and are basically putting in their time to finish a residency. I'd much rather teach interns with lower board scores who have an actual interest in their residency program.

Now I just one to ask.. 90-100 applications per spot? Sounds false. The avg program is like 11-12 people I think... and since we all know most people apply to 20 -30 spots or so and there is a little less than 1 spot per person applying in EM 90-100 seems to be inaccurate.

I too remember the stress but most of you will be ok. It is the people in the bottom 1/4 of med school and FMGs who need to worry. If you are a decent candidate you will match.. it might not be at your #1 but you will match.. and 80% or so get a spot in their top 3 though last yr it seems like most SDNers matched at #1.

IIRC BKN had some regression thing which showed that the higher your step 1 the more likely you were to get your number one or something like that?

The issue is not how many applications per slot, rather it's how many applicants per slot. While the pool is enlarging, I think much of the increase has been the number of applications going up as folks get more nervous based on reports like this thread.

Just to reiterate: last year there were .9 US allopathic MS4s applying for each EM allopathic slot. Add in the graduate MDs, DOs, and IMGs and the ratio was 1.3 per slot. Competitive, but not terrible.

The issue is not how many applications per slot, rather it's how many applicants per slot. While the pool is enlarging, I think much of the increase has been the number of applications going up as folks get more nervous based on reports like this thread.

Just to reiterate: last year there were .9 US allopathic MS4s applying for each EM allopathic slot. Add in the graduate MDs, DOs, and IMGs and the ratio was 1.3 per slot. Competitive, but not terrible.

also some people apply to EM as a backup and others as a reach so I think the numbers arent that bad.

I too remember the stress but most of you will be ok. It is the people in the bottom 1/4 of med school
Our school goes in thirds, which makes me in the middle third (but bottom half, I guess), so that helps
and FMGs who need to worry.
Whew!
If you are a decent candidate you will match..
Well, I thought I dressed nice.
it might not be at your #1 but you will match..
That's why there will be about 11 others behind that #1
and 80% or so get a spot in their top 3
Maybe if I ranked numbers 1, 2, and 3 as the same program
though last yr it seems like most SDNers matched at #1.
Yeah, but you all were gunners

IIRC BKN had some regression thing which showed that the higher your step 1 the more likely you were to get your number one or something like that?
Dammit, I want a Step II regression, because that will help better.

LOL... in all seriousness things work out.. good luck and i clearly am not/was not a gunner as Dr Will can attest.

Can you provide a source for the 1.3? Do you happen to have the % of US Grads who ranked an EM spot first who actually matched into one?