ER Tech Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

Is being an ER Tech for the summer worth it with the pandemic and only 2-3 months to commit? I'd be getting about 200 hours of experience, but is it worth it at putting your family in jeopardy over?

(I do have an EMT cert and was hoping to use it this summer, but now second thoughts)

Assuming this pandemic lasts, this is the only way to get my foot in the door for clinical exposure. I may hold onto the position through the fall semester if volunteering doesn't open up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any other clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you planning to apply? You should put your cert to use as just having it won't help, but if it can be delayed until things calm down that might be the safer option.

Reactions: 1 user
When are you planning to apply? You should put your cert to use as just having it won't help, but if it can be delayed until things calm down that might be the safer option.

I really want to apply in the 2021 cycle. It looks like this is the best option for clinical exposure right now. I guess I need to learn patience. I'm kind of hard on myself for taking a potential second gap year, but I'll try my luck with DO schools since Septemeber applications are not too late.

Where are you based out of ? Where I am it's 2-6 years on a rig before a chance at ER tech, but that's not true everywhere.

Honestly I'd do anything to be an ER Tech, but they don't use EMT-Bs in my area. I'd personally say it's worth it. Ideally you'd have a place you could self quarantine so you don't put your family at risk. Maybe there's even a way you could quarantine yourself in-home. However, you might run into issues as they probably do not want to train someone that's only going to work for 2-3 months. If you're open to volunteering, reach out to some of the rural EMS systems in your area, as they're likely to not have been hit as hard. Mine are still taking volunteers in my area. Also, check if your area has a Medical Reserve Corps. You could potentially volunteer with them as surge capacity (if necessary) or as a swab tester (valid clinical experience).

If I do commit longer than 3 months (like 10 months) what are the chances I can land a one shift per week kind of role once school begins again? Dependent on the facility? Should I ask their HR?

I prefer ER Tech vs EMT because they get to be in the hospital setting around the clinical team. I see it as an optimal environment.

I dont think you will be able to go straight into an ER tech position. Most people start as an EMT then apply to be an ER tech. Why would they hire someone that does not have any experience in emergency medicine over someone that has been an EMT for a year or two. Like @lockedinphdjail said this may not be true in your area so just start looking at job listings and see what they required.

As for scheduling, I believe the ER tech job will be harder to land a part-time/1 shift a week gig compared to an EMT position.

I'll look into opportunities to volunteer as an EMT maybe. What are the hours like for volunteer EMTs? What about regular EMTs?

I'll look into opportunities to volunteer as an EMT maybe. What are the hours like for volunteer EMTs? What about regular EMTs?
volunteer EMT positions are usually super chill because they are volunteers. Most of the time they cover events like concert, sporting events etc. unfortunately this may be more difficult this summer, but they might have alternatives.

So I am an EMT working as an ER Tech. My hospital hires people without experience but not very often. you may have to look at smaller hospitals. usually trauma centers will use experienced EMTs or only Medics. Look at tertiary hospitals or hospitals in low income areas. the drive may suck but the experiences that you can get in a small ER compared to a large one are amazing. In my small hospital I assisted with central lines, lumbar punctures, and many things I don't get to see as much as my larger hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
If I do commit longer than 3 months (like 10 months) what are the chances I can land a one shift per week kind of role once school begins again? Dependent on the facility? Should I ask their HR?

I prefer ER Tech vs EMT because they get to be in the hospital setting around the clinical team. I see it as an optimal environment.
If you want a hospital environment, you could also look at being a "patient care technician". Other keywords include "CNA", and it's usually listed under nursing support staff. EMT's can slide over into it pretty easily, as it's a fairly low skill job doing the very basic aspects of clinical care (feeding tubes, blood samples, helping the patient to the bathroom...). The hospitals in my area put you through a week long training camp and then you can do it. However, you'd probably be in Med/Surg, which is the recovery area after people are out of surgery or ICU. Not the most glamorous, but you could probably make connections in the hospital. They're pretty chill about part time, sometimes you can straight up get hired as a part time worker doing a shift per week (usually described in job listing.) Only issue is that hospitals have stopped hiring so much after the pandemic hit.

Rural EMS is amazing. I got of a shift 7AM-7PM on the weekend. Average about 3-4 calls in a 12 hours period, meaning I could work on other things in my downtime. My scope is a lot bigger because rural EMS doesn't have the luxury of the hospital being so close. I can get trained to set IV and I/O. (still new so I haven't approached them about it yet, but it's in the COG).As was mentioned about, look rural, your scope of practice expands the further you get away from places where everyone is more qualified than you and does it full time. Downside is a lower call volume, but if you show up for a good length of time you still get to see a lot.