ER Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm volunteering in the ER currently (at my top choice school) and have the opportunity to work as a PRN ER Tech. It doesn't pay great, but I would definately get to do more stuff than just volunteering. Would med schools look at this as better or worse than being a volunteer. I have a regular job, so it would just be weekends or so. Can this help/hurt me? Any experience with ER Techs applying to med school? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great experience. Since you have already volunteered, don't worry about what the adcoms will think. Being in a position that gives you more exposure to medicine and more responsibility will be looked upon favorably.

Check out the EMS forum for a thread with more info on ER tech stuff.

I worked as an OR tech for two summers full-time before applying. Adcoms loved it. Being an employee means added responsibility (i.e. adcoms know you definitely did stuff and didn't just sit around doing menial tasks). Absolutely go for it.

I was an ER tech for a year before applying. I think it was a big plus and was looked upon favorably. I doubt there is an entry level position with a better opportunity to "get your hands dirty" in medicine. You'll definitely be able to convey that you know what your getting yourself into after a few trips to the morgue with people you were doing compressions on and after cleaning more than your share of adult diapers. The volunteers at our hospital pushed patients around or were "greeters." ERtechs got to do phlebotomy, EKG, splinting, bandaging, compressions in arrest situations, etc. and we got to assist in a huge range of procedures (not just ER stuff).

Go for it. It is great. At least it was for me.