ER Technician with bad sciences starting over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

everglow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started college at a private school in the midwest. The school ended up not being a fit, and I ended up leaving after a year and half--but not before getting C's and D's in my sciences, and just above that in my other classes.

I started taking classes casually at the local CC once I moved home, and transferred to UCSB (University of California, Santa Barbara) this academic year after recieving A's and B's for the last year at the CC.

At this point in time, my science GPA is somewhere around 2.4 and my overall around 3.4.

I spent the entire time while I was at home working full time as an ER tech. I have approx. 2 years of intensive Emergency experience, and could obtain very positive letter of reccomendation from 5+ physicians. I am a licensed EMT-B.

I plan retaking ALL my sciences here, and should complete a BS in biopsychology in about 3 years. I have also taken steps to participate in research as an assistent, which should come to fruition this upcoming quarter. My grades this first quarter are ehhh, B's across the board. There were some intense personal issues this quarter which have been repaired. From here on out, I expect A's.

I am a disabled student--Non Verbal Learning Disorder, ADD, Depression, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I receive notes and extended test times in my courses.

What, if I bring my sciences up to a 3.3 and my overall to a 3.6, are my chances of getting into a US med school with a good MCAT? Will my disorder affect my candidacy? Will an upward curve like this be enough?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your experience as an ED tech as well as your good upward trend will give you a decent chance as long as you get a good MCAT.

Don't count on physician LOR's counting for much. From what I've heard, they don't do much for your application.

As long as you do all the things you say your going to do, I believe you have a shot if you apply to the right schools.

As far as your disabilities, I'm not sure where that puts you.

Fellow ER Tech and EMT here in NJ at a Level I Trauma Center who is going back to school in January. I just posted a long synopsis on the Post-Baccalaureate thread on Page 1, so I'll spare you the details. Personally, I think it has given me some amazing experience/hands on clinical work, that has helped me decide my career path.

My approach is simple. Put your mind to it, give it 100%, and don't stop. If you want to become an MD, DO, whatever, you can do it. I plan on acing out the rest of my BCPMs and applying with a high MCAT (>35). If no one will take me, I will be back in the classroom for another year, to keep boosting that GPA, and then re-applying. If they still won't take me, I'll find out why and fix that... and on, and on, until I get in somewhere.

The mind is a powerful thing - focus, work hard, and except nothing but the best - you'll get there.

Good luck.

What, if I bring my sciences up to a 3.3 and my overall to a 3.6, are my chances of getting into a US med school with a good MCAT? Will my disorder affect my candidacy? Will an upward curve like this be enough?

Thank you in advance!

If you have three years of straight As on your transcript, along with an excellent MCAT score, you will have redeemed yourself enough to get considered by many US med schools, considering your excellent ECs.

If the path to redemption is not quite as smooth as you predict, keep in mind that DO medical schools will replace any retaken grade with the new one, allowing a faster GPA resuscitation (MD medical schools will average the two). Also, you would not need as high an MCAT, and you could be ready to apply sooner.

Your disorder will not effect your candidacy negatively, nor will you be excused from the usual requirements because of it. You need not mention it at all, if you are worried about discrimination. But you might be better off discussing it in your Personal Statement or elsewhere on the application as an explanation for the rocky, early years. A string of straight As will prove you've learned to manage the problem.