SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ER Volunteer LOR Points of Interest.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedSchool09, Jun 3, 2008.

1. MedSchool09

MedSchool09 2+ Year Member

Nov 17, 2007
    So today I asked the Head of the ER in which I volunteer for a letter of recommendation. She is willing to do so but asked that I first give her a letter indicating the points of interest that she needs to touch upon. I'm not really sure what to tell her. This is the last LOR that I will be needing and no one else asked for this, so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Tenk

Tenk Faculty 10+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    If you know her very well: ask her to touch upon how you present yourself in the E.R., how you interact with patients, your reliability, why you want to go into medicine, etc..

If you don't know her very well: she is probably asking you to tell her a lot about yourself, because she has no idea what to write about you. I hope this is not the case!
  4. DieselD

DieselD ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Well she's basically asking what you want on it. What do you think she can know about it. There's Punctuality/Dependability, Character, what you did there, any special skills of yours, etc.,

It could really go anywhere. What do you want it to be about I think is her basic question...
  5. iduwanna

iduwanna 2+ Year Member

May 2, 2008
    It might be a good opportunity to have her write something that isn't in your other letters. If your other LORs are mainly about your academics, for example, and she could write about your character and social skills.

Or if there is some weakness in your app, you might think of something that she could write that could assuage that.
  6. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    From my undergraduate's pre-health advisory committee evaluation forms: