ERAS 1st day vs 2nd week application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted463521

Hello,

I'll be currently applying during this upcoming ERAS window.
Recently graduated IMG.
I'm applying to Internal Med categorical and I have a 230 Step 1 (1st pass), CS (1st pass). Step 2 CK will be taken next week.

Is it of upmost importance to apply on the first day of the ERAS window? My current NBMEs 232, 230. UWSA1 238, UWSA 232; and I'm wondering if me taking an additional week to study for the CK or 2, to try to reach the 240s is more important than to apply during the first day (Sept 15.), or me getting a 240+ even though I apply a week or 2 later is better?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'll be currently applying during this upcoming ERAS window.
Recently graduated IMG.
I'm applying to Internal Med categorical and I have a 230 Step 1 (1st pass), CS (1st pass). Step 2 CK will be taken next week.

Is it of upmost importance to apply on the first day of the ERAS window? My current NBMEs 232, 230. UWSA1 238, UWSA 232; and I'm wondering if me taking an additional week to study for the CK or 2, to try to reach the 240s is more important than to apply during the first day (Sept 15.), or me getting a 240+ even though I apply a week or 2 later is better?
Submit your app when it opens. Update when 2CK is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok.

How real is this someone told me. I was told that if you apply without a CK (for example), some programs might immediately filter you out and even if you update your file with the CK there is no way to get back on their list.

Ok.

How real is this someone told me. I was told that if you apply without a CK (for example), some programs might immediately filter you out and even if you update your file with the CK there is no way to get back on their list.
Since apps are no longer downloaded, if a program is going to filter for IMG+Step1+Step2CK, and you don't clear those filters, then your app will be invisible to them, as if you never even applied. Now, when your 2CK is available, if the program goes back in and looks again (which they definitely will at some point), your app will be visible, and they can decide then if they want to interview you.

But here's the rub...you have no idea which programs will or won't filter like that. You have no idea when programs will look at ERAS, or update their filters, or what filters they run. So your best plan is to make sure that everything possible is available as early as possible. If you have a rational, practical, realistic reason to think that your 2CK score is going to go up by 20-30 points (not 5-10 like you're hoping for) with an extra week of study, I guess it's OK to wait. But the difference between 230 and 240 on 2CK isn't really anything anyone will worry about.

TL;DR - Take the test and get it over with. You're not going to make a dramatic improvement with 1 more week. Apply on 9/15.

Reactions: 1 user
Since apps are no longer downloaded, if a program is going to filter for IMG+Step1+Step2CK, and you don't clear those filters, then your app will be invisible to them, as if you never even applied. Now, when your 2CK is available, if the program goes back in and looks again (which they definitely will at some point), your app will be visible, and they can decide then if they want to interview you.

But here's the rub...you have no idea which programs will or won't filter like that. You have no idea when programs will look at ERAS, or update their filters, or what filters they run. So your best plan is to make sure that everything possible is available as early as possible. If you have a rational, practical, realistic reason to think that your 2CK score is going to go up by 20-30 points (not 5-10 like you're hoping for) with an extra week of study, I guess it's OK to wait. But the difference between 230 and 240 on 2CK isn't really anything anyone will worry about.

TL;DR - Take the test and get it over with. You're not going to make a dramatic improvement with 1 more week. Apply on 9/15.

Thank you for this gutonc, I appreciate it.

Thank you for your comments.

I ended up taking CK this past tuesday and will be applying for residency the 15th.