1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

ERAS advanced, categorical, prelims question

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by anbuitachi, Sep 7, 2014.

1. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Applying to anesthesia, have a few questions.

Many programs have both advanced and categoricals and prelim [3 check boxes]
    Since the prelim popped up when i searched for anesthesiology, does that mean its an anesthesiology prelim?? [as opposed to medicine/surg]. And if so, whats teh difference between doing categorical at that institution and doing both advanced and anesthesiology prelim there?? Sounds the same..

Are we supposed to click on both advanced and categorical to maximize our chances or do programs only want you to click on one or the other?

Is it separate interviews for categorical, advanced, prelim [anesthesiology]?

When people say apply to 30 programs, and a program has both advanced and categorical, does that count as 2.. or does that count as 1.. ?

And if want to do medicine prelim, we have to search for IM and then click on prelim right?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No clue. It might be a medicine prelim and they put it under anesthesiology to save you $$$ so you don't have to apply to them separately. I haven't seen that myself, so don't know for sure.
    Generally, it would behoove you to apply to both and rank both.
    Categorical and advanced interviews will be the same. Prelims are generally separate, but I don't know about the specific question re: prelims listed under anesthesia.
    "Counts" as one.
    Yes.

anbuitachi likes this.
  4. MeatTornado12

Medical Student
    Man, I'm glad you asked, because I have some of the same questions. Why does it have to be so complicated/expensive/excessive??

Would applying to advanced spots without applying to prelims/transitionals in hopes of just scrambling into a spot be too risky?

5. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That would be stupid. Not saying you couldn't scramble into a prelim surg spot, because you could. But that's a stupid plan.

6. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    seems like too much risk lol. might as well just apply to a few really lowly prelim places

7. MeatTornado12

Medical Student
    Haha that was kind of a tongue-in-cheek question...although I am getting to the point where I'd almost consider it.

My plan is to apply to both categorical and advanced (I have 44 programs picked out), apply to about 8-10 prelims in cities where I would be ok with going advanced over categorical at another place. I still think I will rank categorical spots above most advanced spots just for the convenience of it.

8. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think advanced programs that don't provide linked prelim options are ridiculous and outside of Ophtho, Derm and Rad Onc (which can do whatever the hell they want since they're so competitive) will soon disappear. The gas and rads programs at my (IM) residency hospital have both recently funded several IM prelim positions (plus some administrative FTE in the IM department) because they were losing too many good applicants to places with categorical/linked prelim spots.

southernIM likes this.
  9. ProEra

ProEra ASA Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Looks like more and more of the anesthesia programs are including categorical spots.
    But it would still behoove you to apply to advanced spots, especially at competitive programs.
    Who knows, you may be able to match at a great program just because some applicants will forgo ranking advanced positions for sheer convenience.

10. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Given that ~96% of medicine prelims and TYs have filled their spots in the match over the last few years, leaving a total of ~100 non-surgical prelims in the country to scramble/SOAP into if you don't match first round, what do you think? I mean, you can always get a malignant surgery prelim somewhere, but why on earth would you want to?

ProEra likes this.
  11. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So anyone have any idea about the prelim check box under anesthesia. Wondering if I have to also apply to IM prelim at that institution or the checkbox is enough