ERAS APP -- how to address PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veloG

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the middle of finishing my ERAS app: any thoughts on where to discuss my 3 years of research in this thing? It seems silly to put my a 1020 character description of my research in my "experiences" section.

Also, is there something I'm missing that I need to check off to say that I'm an MD/PhD student or does it show up in my "previous educational experiences" section as PhD with degree to be awarded in 5/06?

Anyone else scratching their heads this weekend? Thx,

G

Members don't see this ad.

maybe this should be in the residency issues heading...can someone move my question?

Hi veloG,

I'm in the same boat as you. I put a one sentence description of my research in the "experiences" section. I talked quite a bit about what I studied in my PS. I don't think there is anywhere specifically to check a box.

Members don't see this ad :)
veloG said:
In the middle of finishing my ERAS app: any thoughts on where to discuss my 3 years of research in this thing? It seems silly to put my a 1020 character description of my research in my "experiences" section.

Also, is there something I'm missing that I need to check off to say that I'm an MD/PhD student or does it show up in my "previous educational experiences" section as PhD with degree to be awarded in 5/06?

Anyone else scratching their heads this weekend? Thx,

G
There should be at least 3 places in your ERAS CAF where you can mention the fact that you did a PhD:
(1) Educational background - here you list your degrees, dates attended, and institution.
(2) Research experience - all you need is a sentence or two. Probably the title of your thesis will do just fine (in sentence form of course).
(3) Publications and Abstracts.

AndyMilonakis said:
There should be at least 3 places in your ERAS CAF where you can mention the fact that you did a PhD:
(1) Educational background - here you list your degrees, dates attended, and institution.
(2) Research experience - all you need is a sentence or two. Probably the title of your thesis will do just fine (in sentence form of course).

Thanks for the input, all.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am now, still need to add a line in the experience section about my thesis project. Is it lame that I included my pre-1st year research rotations, too? Its in now, I worked hard for those silly 6 week rotations, damn it. Man, was that a long time ago.

G

veloG said:
Thanks for the input, all.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am now, still need to add a line in the experience section about my thesis project. Is it lame that I included my pre-1st year research rotations, too? Its in now, I worked hard for those silly 6 week rotations, damn it. Man, was that a long time ago.

G
You can include your rotations if you want. There's no harm in that. Thinking back to my application, I didn't but that was because I only did one other rotation (besides the one I did in my eventual thesis lab) and I simply forgot to mention it. Anyways, it is not lame to do that...especially if you worked hard on a project and actually achieved something.

I did as below plus worked it into my personal statement.

What are you applying for?

AndyMilonakis said:

kassie said:
I did as below plus worked it into my personal statement.

What are you applying for?
I actually applied to pathology last year and am now a PGY-1 at the Brigham.

So...why don't they have a checkbox for MD/PhD? AFter all, the AMCAS applications now do this.

Just wondering...

I just finished my ERAS last week. For research description, I put Dissertation Research. Then my thesis title. And of course talked about it in more detail in my personal statement.

I put my other rotations too.

I don't know if it's like this at other institutions, but here our program director writes the dean's letter for MD/PhD students. So it should be blatantly obvious that I am an MD/PhD student. Plus I would assume that some of my other letter writers will mention it too.