Quantcast

ERAS APP -- how to address PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veloG

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
In the middle of finishing my ERAS app: any thoughts on where to discuss my 3 years of research in this thing? It seems silly to put my a 1020 character description of my research in my "experiences" section.

Also, is there something I'm missing that I need to check off to say that I'm an MD/PhD student or does it show up in my "previous educational experiences" section as PhD with degree to be awarded in 5/06?

Anyone else scratching their heads this weekend? Thx,

G
 

veloG

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
maybe this should be in the residency issues heading...can someone move my question?
 

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
9,508
Reaction score
4
Hi veloG,

I'm in the same boat as you. I put a one sentence description of my research in the "experiences" section. I talked quite a bit about what I studied in my PS. I don't think there is anywhere specifically to check a box.
 
B

b&ierstiefel

veloG said:
In the middle of finishing my ERAS app: any thoughts on where to discuss my 3 years of research in this thing? It seems silly to put my a 1020 character description of my research in my "experiences" section.

Also, is there something I'm missing that I need to check off to say that I'm an MD/PhD student or does it show up in my "previous educational experiences" section as PhD with degree to be awarded in 5/06?

Anyone else scratching their heads this weekend? Thx,

G
There should be at least 3 places in your ERAS CAF where you can mention the fact that you did a PhD:
(1) Educational background - here you list your degrees, dates attended, and institution.
(2) Research experience - all you need is a sentence or two. Probably the title of your thesis will do just fine (in sentence form of course).
(3) Publications and Abstracts.
 

veloG

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
AndyMilonakis said:
There should be at least 3 places in your ERAS CAF where you can mention the fact that you did a PhD:
(1) Educational background - here you list your degrees, dates attended, and institution.
(2) Research experience - all you need is a sentence or two. Probably the title of your thesis will do just fine (in sentence form of course).
(3) Publications and Abstracts.

Thanks for the input, all.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am now, still need to add a line in the experience section about my thesis project. Is it lame that I included my pre-1st year research rotations, too? Its in now, I worked hard for those silly 6 week rotations, damn it. Man, was that a long time ago.

G
 
B

b&ierstiefel

veloG said:
Thanks for the input, all.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am now, still need to add a line in the experience section about my thesis project. Is it lame that I included my pre-1st year research rotations, too? Its in now, I worked hard for those silly 6 week rotations, damn it. Man, was that a long time ago.

G
You can include your rotations if you want. There's no harm in that. Thinking back to my application, I didn't but that was because I only did one other rotation (besides the one I did in my eventual thesis lab) and I simply forgot to mention it. Anyways, it is not lame to do that...especially if you worked hard on a project and actually achieved something.
 

kassie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
144
Reaction score
1
I did as below plus worked it into my personal statement.

What are you applying for?

AndyMilonakis said:
There should be at least 3 places in your ERAS CAF where you can mention the fact that you did a PhD:
(1) Educational background - here you list your degrees, dates attended, and institution.
(2) Research experience - all you need is a sentence or two. Probably the title of your thesis will do just fine (in sentence form of course).
(3) Publications and Abstracts.
 
B

b&ierstiefel

kassie said:
I did as below plus worked it into my personal statement.

What are you applying for?
I actually applied to pathology last year and am now a PGY-1 at the Brigham.
 

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2001
Messages
313
Reaction score
1
So...why don't they have a checkbox for MD/PhD? AFter all, the AMCAS applications now do this.

Just wondering...
 

Hurricane

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
4
I just finished my ERAS last week. For research description, I put Dissertation Research. Then my thesis title. And of course talked about it in more detail in my personal statement.

I put my other rotations too.

I don't know if it's like this at other institutions, but here our program director writes the dean's letter for MD/PhD students. So it should be blatantly obvious that I am an MD/PhD student. Plus I would assume that some of my other letter writers will mention it too.
 
Top