ERAS Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingston99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am filling out my eras application and I wanted to know how much information I should put in the hobbies section. Should it be in paragraph format or a list?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Literally does not matter. I did a list but if you have something so amazing and incredible that you think someone would actually read a paragraph about it, knock yourself out.

Literally does not matter. I did a list but if you have something so amazing and incredible that you think someone would actually read a paragraph about it, knock yourself out.
Pro tip...unless you're an astronaut, pop star or professional athlete, you don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Pro tip...unless you're an astronaut, pop star or professional athlete, you don't.
Lists are easier to read and absorb and give the residents/interviewers enough info to ask questions that flesh out the experience. I don't like paragraphs for either hobbies or research.

I concur with list. The hobbies section seems more to spark something to talk about during interviews.

Be sure to include “travel” like 90% of other applicants!

Like seriously, I worry about those that DONT put it as a hobby.

Don't blow off the section completely... it's probably the most discussed at interviews. That said, just a short list of bullets is more than sufficient.

As an interviewer, I agree that this section shouldn't be completely glossed over. Is it going to make up for other deficiencies? No. But in a pool of applicants that can sometimes be hard to differentiate, it's a conversation starter. For me, if I'm going to have to work with/train someone for 5-7 years, the "normal person" factor isn't to be overlooked. This section may help provide some conversation starters that turns you into more than just a CV, and may make you a bit more memorable.

That being said:
1) Keep it brief
2) Don't write something you can't talk about. Your hobby is not rock climbing if you've only done it 3 times on the last 5 years.

Couple of questions:
1) If you had a paid research position, do you have to list it under Research and Work experience? I would like to avoid redundancy if I can.
2) If you shadowed/assisted physicians (not a requirement of the curriculum), should it be listed under Work Experience?

Hello,

I am an IMG having done residency and other postgraduate training out of the USA. Where do I fill it in the ERAS application, given that it only allows for ACGME and AOA accredited training?

Will be glad to get any answers.

Thank you.

You list it as a work experience.

Want to make sure you know it is very late to be applying anywhere for this year. At this point, an application would only be useful in SOAP.

Reactions: 1 users
You list it as a work experience.

Want to make sure you know it is very late to be applying anywhere for this year. At this point, an application would only be useful in SOAP.

Thank you.

Oh yes, I do know it is late. I want to give it a try, go through the process. Hopefully I will be better prepared next time if I don't get any spot.

Thank you.

Oh yes, I do know it is late. I want to give it a try, go through the process. Hopefully I will be better prepared next time if I don't get any spot.
Are programs even accepting applications? I would have though the deadline would have been December at the latest

Are programs even accepting applications? I would have though the deadline would have been December at the latest

I have come across a few programs with deadlines in January 2020. I am thinking of giving them a call.

I have come across a few programs with deadlines in January 2020. I am thinking of giving them a call.
Save your money. I guess you could try to SOAP, but your chances are even slimmer there. Have your app ready to go on the first day ERAS opens next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Save your money. I guess you could try to SOAP, but your chances are even slimmer there. Have your app ready to go on the first day ERAS opens next year.
Completely agree. If you want you could just fill out ERAS and try to soap without wasting money on programs, but honestly there is no chance of matching through the regular match.

If you do want to SOAP, you need to apply to at least one program and pay the minimum fee, and enroll in the NRMP. The minimum fees to so so are not very much.