Sep 10, 2015
4
2
Status
Medical Student
I will be receiving my Step 2 score on Sept 16, 2015, and the application opens on Sept 15, 2015. Should I wait until Sept 16, 2015 to submit my application, or go ahead and submit applications as soon as the application opens up since the rest of my application is complete?
 

mrmatt

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
340
5
TN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I will be as well and am planning to submit on the 15th. If you weren't satisifed with your Step 1 score and think Step 2 will be better, you may want to wait until that score is uploaded. Otherwise, I don't think there's a need to wait. A huge chunk of applicants submit with no Step 2 score.
 

JP2740

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
2,444
2,099
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What did you get on step 1 and what field are you applying to?
 

Testup

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
46
1
I'm also on the same dilemma. My Step1 score is 225. Think I did better on Step 2, but I thought the same when I came out of Step 1(lol). So I'm debating whether to wait or apply on Sept 15th. I'm applying for IM.
 

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Moderator
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
8,283
7,171
Status
Attending Physician
It really doesn't matter. No one is going to care if you apply on the 15th or the 16th. And there usually is a delay until all of the USMLE scores are updated in ERAS anyway (although perhaps that won't be an issue this year).

Your best plan is probably to apply on the 15th. Heaven forbid your score is horrible, then you can not release it. If you've failed it, you can take it again before releasing it. If you do fine, then you just release it on the 16th (or over the next few days).
 

Krasmyc

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
51
11
Status
Medical Student
@aProgDirector I have a query. I will get my CK score on Oct 3 and ecfmg certification by Oct 15. Add to the mix i am an IMG.
Rest of my application is ready. Should i go ahead and apply on 15th? or wait till atleast i get CK score. I read few programs say you should apply to the program with ecfmg certification. Does it matter?

or just an email after certification to the programs will work?
 
OP
R
Sep 10, 2015
4
2
Status
Medical Student
So I've heard mixed opinions on what to do.

Since there doesn't seem to be a straightforward answer I think this is my plan, some correct me if my logic is flawed...

I am going to submit on Sept 15 because my application is complete except my Step 2 score which I will receive on Sept 16, and 1 LoR. Chances are, most programs are not going to have read through all the applications submitted on Sept 15, and you can assign your score to the programs when we receive them on Sept 16. I'd rather have my application somewhere closer to the top of the pile, chances are as long as I release my score on the 16th, it won't be missing from most if not all my application. My hopes are that I'll have my score to the programs before they open the application. Regardless, I'm still waiting on 1 LoR from a Chairman of a program, that's not something I should hold off submitting my application for, right?
 

Duon89

Sun Power
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
183
26
In your head
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I've heard mixed opinions on what to do.

Regardless, I'm still waiting on 1 LoR from a Chairman of a program, that's not something I should hold off submitting my application for, right?
I am on the same boat. waiting on 1 LoR. Should it matter? should I hold off?
 

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Moderator
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
8,283
7,171
Status
Attending Physician
Again, there is no "correct" answer to these questions. It will depend upon each program, and how they process applications.

If a program requires both Step 1 and Step 2 scores to review applications, then if you submit before your step 2 score is back there is no harm. The program won't review your application until the Step 2 score is in. There's probably not much benefit to applying early either.

If you're missing an LOR, that's more complicated. Many programs probably require 3 LOR's. If you have three submitted and a fourth on the way, they may review your application with just three. If they reject you, they are unlikely to go back when the 4th letter comes in. If you really think this 4th letter is key to your application, you might be better off waiting to apply until it is in.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Psai