MD ERAS Experiences prior to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrOMG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in the military prior to medical school and did significant EMT work in the civilian sector. Do I include these in the experiences section or only include what I did during med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should include significant things from prior to med school, and both of those would definitely count.

Reactions: 1 user
Heh you made it med school.

Yes I included both my time in the Air Force and as a Paramedic in my experiences section.

Military experience will be a bonus for any specialty.

EMT experience will be a bonus for EM mostly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I included things from college that I thought were relevant to the overall image/story/brand I was putting together through my app. What's your image/story/brand? (Don't actually have to answer here if you don't want, but you have to answer that for yourself).

I think military service would look good anywhere. If by "significant EMT work" you mean training others or any other scenario where people worked under you or really anything beyond just "lots of EMT hours" I could see it being good for any specialty. If it's just "lots of EMT hours" then I think it's somewhat specialty specific as to whether or not you include it.

I was in the military prior to medical school and did significant EMT work in the civilian sector. Do I include these in the experiences section or only include what I did during med school?
Even though it is set up differently than a resume, eras should include your actual work experiences. Remember that most of your classmates have never had a real job, so this can set you apart in a good way. This is not a knock on them, you (as did I) just took a different path. Bottom line: If you would put it on a resume, put it in your app!

Thanks for all your responses! I am planning on EM so I think both the military medic and EMT (more than just the hours) will work well for me. I'll put it all down! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all your responses! I am planning on EM so I think both the military medic and EMT (more than just the hours) will work well for me. I'll put it all down! :D

Oh if you're doing EM then yeah 1000% for sure. I scribed for a few months before med school and that came up at multiple interviews, which I thought was kinda funny since it was pretty insignificant, so substantial EMS and military experience are definitely gonna be mentioned.