ERAS Gen Surg abstract/publication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am one of the authors on an abstract that was accepted for a podium presentation. The presentation was NOT given by me. In the email, they said that the abstract will be published in a supplemental issue of a journal. Specifically, it says: "All accepted abstracts will be published in a Supplemental issue of the Journal of the American College of Surgeons (JACS) in the form it was received (250-word abstract). The supplement will be distributed to the entire membership (60,000 +) prior to the Clinical Congress, and made available for free during the meeting.

How would you list that in ERAS? 1) Peer-reviewed journal article/abstract (published)? 2) Oral presentation? 3) None since I did not give the talk?

Thank you all so much

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you @SurfingDoctor . Are the JACS abstracts "Peer reviewed" though? Also, did you mean "If you did not give the presentation, you should not list it as a presentation".

Any other input on this? I keep hearing/reading different opinion whether it should be listed as a presentation vs. an abstract. Any chance that a surgeon on here familiar with JACS and their supplemental issue publishing abstract could shed some additional light?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @SurfingDoctor . Are the JACS abstracts "Peer reviewed" though? Also, did you mean "If you did not give the presentation, you should not list it as a presentation".

Any other input on this? I keep hearing/reading different opinion whether it should be listed as a presentation vs. an abstract. Any chance that a surgeon on here familiar with JACS and their supplemental issue publishing abstract could shed some additional light?

Thanks

Yeah, sorry, I mean presentation. If you did not personally give the presentation, you can not (or should not) take credit for it. But you should list it as an abstract.

Most published abstracts are "peer-reviewed" in the sense that someone else from the conference committee looked at them and the editor of the journal sponsoring the conference put them in a supplement. That being said, conference abstracts are rarely rejected (but that's not really important at your stage, the fact that you contributed to a project is what is important). Irrespective, if your name was on a submitted abstract that was presented at a conference as a poster or oral presentation (but you did not give the presentation), it is listed as an abstract. You want to get credit for the work you did on the project.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much, @SurfingDoctor!

Just 1 more question regarding another study we conducted. I did an oral presentation of an abstract at a regional conference. A year later, the full manuscript was accepted as a peer-reviewed publication. In ERAS, should I list it only as a publication? Or can I list it as both oral presentation, and then publication? I don't know if that counts as "double dipping"?

Thank you so much, @SurfingDoctor!

Just 1 more question regarding another study we conducted. I did an oral presentation of an abstract at a regional conference. A year later, the full manuscript was accepted as a peer-reviewed publication. In ERAS, should I list it only as a publication? Or can I list it as both oral presentation, and then publication? I don't know if that counts as "double dipping"?

That is not considered double-dipping, at least not in my book. You should list both, one as an oral presentation and one as a peer-reviewed publication. Most abstracts (poster or oral presentations) lead to publications (hopefully) and you should get credit for both because even though the topic was probably nearly the same, they each required their own work and thus, their own recognition. Double-dipping would be more in lines with submitting the exact same abstract to 2 difference conferences and listing both conference abstracts.

Thank you so much for the quick response, really appreciate it!