1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

ERAS-- include undergrad acitivites? religious clubs?

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by ForeverandEver, Aug 20, 2011.

1. ForeverandEver

2+ Year Member

In ERAS, do I include:

1. Undergrad activities?

2. Religious organizations? I'm part of an Islamic club at my medical school, where I took on leadership roles. These days, Islam is such a politically charged topic, that I'm not sure whether to include it at all. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ThePursuit

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless you're applying to a program that you specifically know would appreciate your islamic ties, I agree with your intuition. It's probably best to put other info on your CV. A comparison would be someone putting a "president of anti-abortion club" on their CV. Just not the greatest idea in most cases (I think).

4. bcat85

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Curiously, I am the president of the medical students for life group at my medical school. It's not really an antiabortion group (we didn't talk about it once I don't think), but I've been debating whether or not to include this in my application. Any thoughts?

5. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If its not an anti abortion group, what is it?

6. LeLu

LeLu Cookie Monster
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What about undergrad activities, ie president of an honor society, etc?

7. hermionegranger

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm putting my membership in the Islamic club on the CV. Why not? It's a huge part of my CV. Also, if the program doesn't like it and can't accept that there are great resident applicants who are Muslim...why should I go there anyway?

I also put my membership in the Muslim Student Associaton while applying for medical school. It always started great conversation during the interview.

8. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup:

Would you want to go to a program that didn't interview you because of your religion? Imagine getting accepted to that program and them finding out later about your religion. 3-7 years of torture.

9. peppy

peppy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you're applying for something competitive or you're a borderline applicant, I'd probably avoid anything that could be potentially controversial. You just never know how people will react and you don't want your chances spoiled by one ignorant person on the selection committee.
    For a strong candidate in a specialty that is a "buyer's market" like FM, I'd go ahead and mention it so that hopefully wherever you match will be accepting of who you really are.