ERAS & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Could somebody explain to me how you get interview invitations..
Do they email you ? Write to you ??

I vaguely remember ERAS site tells a lot about the application status, but all what I could see is if they have downloaded the transcript from ECFMG.

I am waiting hoping to hear from at least a few out of the 49 programs I applied for.

Members don't see this ad.

I have received four interviews so far, all through my email. One residency had the assistant call me before she emailed me. I received a confirmation in the mail only after I scheduled an interview date...

Keep your hopes up, most interviews won't be given out until after the Dean's List is finalized.

QuinnNSU, Good luck with your invites, hope they will go well for you..

I have a question, How does one know if they are atleast interested in my application:

Some programs have downloaded everything possible- USMLE I - Does this mean they are a bit interested compared to some who have only the P/S and application downloaded so far ???

From my thinking (i'm not a program director... just an applicant), it doesn't matter what they download. Because the downloading of your files is done by the program coordinator or their assistant... and I would think is done in no particular order. They don't really know much about you UNTIL they download all your stuff, so I don't think it matters...

Just curious, what type of residency are you applying for?

Originally posted by Jani
Hi everyone

Could somebody explain to me how you get interview invitations..
Do they email you ? Write to you ??

I vaguely remember ERAS site tells a lot about the application status, but all what I could see is if they have downloaded the transcript from ECFMG.

I am waiting hoping to hear from at least a few out of the 49 programs I applied for.

Most people are getting e-mails for interview invites. Some programs with call too and others will mail out a letter.

Originally posted by Jani
QuinnNSU, Good luck with your invites, hope they will go well for you..

I have a question, How does one know if they are atleast interested in my application:

Some programs have downloaded everything possible- USMLE I - Does this mean they are a bit interested compared to some who have only the P/S and application downloaded so far ???

Yup, your app is downloaded automatically so don't fret about "interest" per se. I received invitations via email (98% of the time), phone calls (one), and through an on-site audition elective. Good luck!:cool:

ps - I'm applying to G surg

As I recall I got mostly email invites, but some programs wrote and a couple called (but backed it up with emails).

Don't get yourself riled up about what, when they download stuff - there is little to no correlation to how interested they are.