MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone considering taking step 3/level 3 before residency starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone considering taking step 3/level 3 before residency starts?
I considered it at one point, especially now that we have all this "free" time but I'd be surprised if the test centers will be open.

I'm planning to take mine next late Feb/early March assuming I get my vacation request preferences...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even think Prometric centers are open right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I believe theyre closed until May

Dont you have to have graduated to take step 3?

I believe theyre closed until May

Dont you have to have graduated to take step 3?

Yeah but you could study

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even think Prometric centers are open right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm well aware of this. I'm talking about taking it in early June. How long do people study for it? Would two weeks of dedicated suffice? UWorld?

I'm well aware of this. I'm talking about taking it in early June. How long do people study for it? Would two weeks of dedicated suffice? UWorld?
Our school just told us a few days ago that we wouldn’t be certified to graduate until June 30. Now they informed us we will be graduating in April so that we can start residency early. I have no idea what will happen or if any of us will actually be free in June. That being said, I guess it couldn’t hurt to study, but I’m not buying UWorld unless I know I can take the exam.

Our school just told us a few days ago that we wouldn’t be certified to graduate until June 30. Now they informed us we will be graduating in April so that we can start residency early. I have no idea what will happen or if any of us will actually be free in June. That being said, I guess it couldn’t hurt to study, but I’m not buying UWorld unless I know I can take the exam.

Some programs buy uworld for you too.

Reactions: 2 users
Dumb question - for the NPI signature, do we include MD/DO because that is our title in two months? Or just our name?

Has anyone taken the SAEM exam? Wanna help me figure out how to study? I really dont wanna

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken the SAEM exam? Wanna help me figure out how to study? I really dont wanna
Why are you taking that for FM? But yes. Easy. There’s some good flash card decks out there.

Document 1: you must have a medical license prior to appointment into your residency or fellowship program. As this is a lengthy process, GME recommends beginning as soon as possible.
Document 2:
Please read the following carefully to determine if you are required to obtain a Medical License prior to your start date. If required, failure to do so will impact your start date and program eligibility.
If you will have 12 months of prior accredited training by your start date, you are required to obtain a resident medical license. Please contact GME immediately for next steps.
If you will have 24+ months of prior accredited training by your start date, you are required to obtain a regular (full) physician license. Please contact GME immediately for next steps.

Those 2 documents are contradictory! lol They're trying to confuse me as much as possible.

Reactions: 4 users
Document 1: you must have a medical license prior to appointment into your residency or fellowship program. As this is a lengthy process, GME recommends beginning as soon as possible.
Document 2:
Please read the following carefully to determine if you are required to obtain a Medical License prior to your start date. If required, failure to do so will impact your start date and program eligibility.
If you will have 12 months of prior accredited training by your start date, you are required to obtain a resident medical license. Please contact GME immediately for next steps.
If you will have 24+ months of prior accredited training by your start date, you are required to obtain a regular (full) physician license. Please contact GME immediately for next steps.

Those 2 documents are contradictory! lol They're trying to confuse me as much as possible.
I emailed them today asking for a simple thing. I got the most confusing contradictory answer on earth. Like I couldn’t decipher it. Thankfully we have an intern group chat going and they helped me figure it out.

Reactions: 1 users
And what did I do tonight? Take a new photo in front of a door for my ID badge. Showered and dried only the front of my hair, put on a full face of makeup at midnight. My first photo was rejected because it had a grey background. The only issue is my door is white, but it has divets in it. I don't have a white wall in the house - they're all light grey or other colors. The quarantine prevents me from going and getting a passport photo taken. Wheeeee.

Reactions: 5 users
And what did I do tonight? Take a new photo in front of a door for my ID badge. Showered and dried only the front of my hair, put on a full face of makeup at midnight. My first photo was rejected because it had a grey background. The only issue is my door is white, but it has divets in it. I don't have a white wall in the house - they're all light grey or other colors. The quarantine prevents me from going and getting a passport photo taken. Wheeeee.

Photoshop! It looks like there are some good tutorials online about how to change wall color but DM me if you need help. Adobe made photoshop free for students due to COVID stuff.

Photoshop! It looks like there are some good tutorials online but DM me if you need help. Adobe made photoshop free for students due to COVID stuff.
Well thats awesome! PS is expensive lol

Why not just use your eras photo..?

Well guys, it has come to my attention that i post here excessively and im too neurotic. I apologize.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

My program specifically wants a white background for the badge, sounds like hers does too. Many ERAS photos have other things in the background, mine was a brick wall. I lucked out and had an ERAS "photoshoot" reject where I am in front of a white background that I will be using for the badge.

Photoshop! It looks like there are some good tutorials online about how to change wall color but DM me if you need help. Adobe made photoshop free for students due to COVID stuff.
If they reject this photo I'll definitely do it! It's just frustrating, normally I would have this all together now.
If ya go back and read it my first post says my photo was rejected for not having a white background.
Well guys, it has come to my attention that i post here excessively and im too neurotic. I apologize.
Post all you damn well please. Love having you here!

That was such a snarky post. I too am on the "no chill" end of the chill spectrum, but it's my own neuroticism, NOT throw people under the bus/gunner-ism like the OP was talking about.

That was such a snarky post. I too am on the "no chill" end of the chill spectrum, but it's my own neuroticism, NOT throw people under the bus/gunner-ism like the OP was talking about.
Ive made it no secret ive struggled with generalized anxiety most of my life... like, it struck a damn nerve. This is life altering so.. yeah, some nervousness. Sue me.

Ive started my EM sub-i but instead ive gotten sucked in by harry potter once again and seem to spend more time doing that than studying #winning

While I agree with your premise that it shouldn't matter, it does. I wasn't trying to be snarky, just explaining why it does matter that it was a grey background being that I did say I tried and it was rejected in my first post.

edit: man I’ve had more posts edited by moderators in the past week than in 5 years on this site.

Last edited:
Ive made it no secret ive struggled with generalized anxiety most of my life... like, it struck a damn nerve. This is life altering so.. yeah, some nervousness. Sue me.

It has been an absolute joy to commiserate with you on this thread. It's been so helpful to see other people going through the same stresses and worries. I'm glad that this thread has kept up a bit past the match, y'all are great.

Ive started my EM sub-i but instead ive gotten sucked in by harry potter once again and seem to spend more time doing that than studying #winning
Let's be real as long as you pull off the pass its a much better use of your time :D

If they reject this photo I'll definitely do it! It's just frustrating, normally I would have this all together now.

Don't hesitate if so! My partner is a graphic designer who could probably get it done in less time than it took me to type this sentence. I feel you though, there are so many requirements I need to get done that require in person stuff - ACLS, BLS, fingerprinting?? It's so annoying to want to get a jump on all this stuff and be unable to.

Don't hesitate if so! My partner is a graphic designer who could probably get it done in less time than it took me to type this sentence. I feel you though, there are so many requirements I need to get done that require in person stuff - ACLS, BLS, fingerprinting?? It's so annoying to want to get a jump on all this stuff and be unable to.
That’s what frustrates me. My program has yet to send any of that stuff, but i suppose the urgency really isnt there (so im assuming ACLS/BLS will be provided by them) as i cannot really do any of it right now? Maybe. Idk.

I don't know what happened here but I find it funny when people criticize others for posting too much or being neurotic on SDN because it annoys them. All they have to do is, you know, not read your posts. Or block you. Or they could just get off SDN altogether. In short, you have nothing to apologize for.

Reactions: 7 users
I also wanna go on the record and say none of you should be posting less. If anything post more!
I wanna keep this thread alive especially.

Reactions: 7 users
Of note I found a townhouse that seems great for $1025/mo. Gated community, 2 pools, fitness center, all the works. (Everything in the area is 900+ I’ll pay the extra).
One available for May move in. Messaged them yesterday to no response. All I want is a video tour of a unit. Pleaseeeee.

Of note I found a townhouse that seems great for $1025/mo. Gated community, 2 pools, fitness center, all the works. (Everything in the area is 900+ I’ll pay the extra).
One available for May move in. Messaged them yesterday to no response. All I want is a video tour of a unit. Pleaseeeee.
try calling the realtor on the phone, more direct

Anyone else doing Canopy Spanish right now? My final H&P is tomorrow and the website has been terrible the past two days. It's a great time to learn a language, I wish Canopy would get it together.

Is there a reason I haven’t received my contract?
looked up state requirements and went oh boy! That’s a lot. Especially as an IMG. I already started with some of the processes myself but I don’t want it to be a waste of time.
Then the little voice in my head tells me... what if your MATCH was a mistake? Ohhh!

looked up state requirements and went oh boy! That’s a lot. Especially as an IMG. I already started with some of the processes myself but I don’t want it to be a waste of time.
Then the little voice in my head tells me... what if your MATCH was a mistake? Ohhh!

I just received mine this week. I've been able to get a jump on some of the program's checklist stuff but I still have to wait for the state board of medicine to contact me before I can do the licensing stuff, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I just received mine this week. I've been able to get a jump on some of the program's checklist stuff but I still have to wait for the state board of medicine to contact me before I can do the licensing stuff, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Not getting mine until the 2nd week of may. Not like it’s negotiable or anything anyway...

One thing my school told me was, "when in doubt, don't guess." I haven't gotten paperwork either so until then I'm just gonna chill and do my online learning to make sure I'm good to graduation and I'll cross those bridges when I get to them.

Reactions: 5 users
My post is starting to show intermittently, I feel for ya'll.

So the place I'm interested I called first thing this morning and left a message saying I had emailed them, who I was, and asking for a call back. Haven't got anything and its now 1:30 in the afternoon. About an hour ago I just had my SO call, he left a message saying he was interested in a townhome and they called him back within 10 minutes. Do you think people might be afraid to have a doctor move into their complex for the exposure risk? Am I being ignored because of my profession? :shrug:

• Hmm
Has anyone gotten health forms from their program?

So the place I'm interested I called first thing this morning and left a message saying I had emailed them, who I was, and asking for a call back. Haven't got anything and its now 1:30 in the afternoon. About an hour ago I just had my SO call, he left a message saying he was interested in a townhome and they called him back within 10 minutes. Do you think people might be afraid to have a doctor move into their complex for the exposure risk? Am I being ignored because of my profession? :shrug:
Could it be gender too?!