MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could it be gender too?!
Guess it could. It could be either, they hear "resident physician" and might be scared I'm going to bring COVID into their complex, or they don't take the woman seriously. Which is funny because even as a resident I'll make 20k more than him a year, universities don't pay instructors very much. He couldn't afford the place himself, I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Like asking for info on our health? I got forms asking for my vaccine records and a basic ROS sheet. That was about it
Yeah, our program has some basic information posted about what’s needed and it seems like it’s gonna require a legit doctors appointment. I haven’t gotten the forms though so we’ll see.

So the place I'm interested I called first thing this morning and left a message saying I had emailed them, who I was, and asking for a call back. Haven't got anything and its now 1:30 in the afternoon. About an hour ago I just had my SO call, he left a message saying he was interested in a townhome and they called him back within 10 minutes. Do you think people might be afraid to have a doctor move into their complex for the exposure risk? Am I being ignored because of my profession? :shrug:
I imagine it was more of an oversight thing with all these folks working from home. I just made a deposit on a new apartment and it took a week to do what would normally take a day or two.

They were happy to have a doctor moving in because they know I'll pay my rent on time lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess it could. It could be either, they hear "resident physician" and might be scared I'm going to bring COVID into their complex, or they don't take the woman seriously. Which is funny because even as a resident I'll make 20k more than him a year, universities don't pay instructors very much. He couldn't afford the place himself, I can.
I really hope it’s neither reason and that they’re just a little disorganized.

Reactions: 1 users
I imagine it was more of an oversight thing with all these folks working from home. I just made a deposit on a new apartment and it took a week to do what would normally take a day or two.

They were happy to have a doctor moving in because they know I'll pay my rent on time lol
I know theres at least one in the office because she posted a video tour today on Facebook of a unit, a different unit than the kind I want. Just hoping someone responds to me. I don't want to reach out again though, its on them now lol. But congrats on getting a place!

I know theres at least one in the office because she posted a video tour today on Facebook of a unit, a different unit than the kind I want. Just hoping someone responds to me. I don't want to reach out again though, its on them now lol. But congrats on getting a place!
Thanks! I similarly didn't want to reach out too much because I was afraid I'd piss someone off :O

Reactions: 1 user
My Spanish final is in an hour. I have to do a full H&P and patient presentation in Spanish. Need you all to direct good vibes my way...por favor. :help:

Reactions: 5 users
My Spanish final is in an hour. I have to do a full H&P and patient presentation in Spanish. Need you all to direct good vibes my way...por favor. :help:
Good luck!!

I’m really hoping all programs just have us wear scrubs all the time this year. It’s hard to just shop online and the quarantine ice cream pounds are adding up lol.
But actually I think all inpatient people should be wearing scrubs all the time.It seems way more sanitary to me. I get dressing up for clinic.

Reactions: 10 users
I’m really hoping all programs just have us wear scrubs all the time this year. It’s hard to just shop online and the quarantine ice cream pounds are adding up lol.
But actually I think all inpatient people should be wearing scrubs all the time.It seems way more sanitary to me. I get dressing up for clinic.
The thing I'm going to miss most doing psych is the scrubs. RIP socially acceptable pajamas.

Reactions: 4 users
Completely agree. Hospitals are gross, we should all accept that and change into and change out of scrubs while there. It sucked being on IM having to help a patient with their sputum or emesis basin, help with a tap/bedside procedure, sweatily run up four flights of stairs to a code, grab something that fell under the patient bed, etc all while being in professional dress. Also PPE over professional dress is so claustrophobic and I overheat. Scrubs just make sense for hospital work.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing I'm going to miss most doing psych is the scrubs. RIP socially acceptable pajamas.
I will not be giving up scrubs if I do hospital work. I don’t mind being “that” psychiatrist. If I’m on C&L I’ll be in scrubs and I’m not sorry.

edit: Emergency psych too. Have been spit at and kicked at. I didn’t wait for the bargain basement sale at Banana Republic to try to hand wash my dry clean only pants!

• Haha
I will not be giving up scrubs if I do hospital work. I don’t mind being “that” psychiatrist. If I’m on C&L I’ll be in scrubs and I’m not sorry.

edit: Emergency psych too. Have been spit at and kicked at. I didn’t wait for the bargain basement sale at Banana Republic to try to hand wash my dry clean only pants!
Oh when I'm an attending I'll definitely be that psychiatrist. Probably can't get away with it as a resident though. Only tine they wear scrubs at my program that I saw was on night shift.

Squandering my time with this audiobook. Second run **closes my eye**
How to win friends and influence people- dale carnegie
Audible narrated by Andrew Macmillan

Hey guys, are the hospitals accepting online BLS/ACLS courses? Anybody hear about it?! I don't think COVID19 crisis will let's do on-site training courses!
Do I need SSN as IMG applying for NPI number?! Still not have SSN!! Any IMG here to help?
Thank you

Last edited:
Hey guys, are the hospitals accepting online BLS/ACLS courses? Anybody hear about it?! I don't think COVID19 crisis will let's do on-site training courses!
If you haven't already, reach out to your PC! I was trying to get BLS/ACLS courses done but when I asked they let me know that it will be a part of orientation, they just haven't sent out that info yet.

How are people doing? How is the residency paperwork going?
House/apartment hunting?
How is the self isolation going?
Is no one panicking anymore ?!

House/apartment hunting?
Doing okay now that schoolwork is finally done.

I'll let you know once I have some to do.

In the process, sucks being in a high COL city but that's the price I pay (no pun intended).

Oh I have a baseline level of panic that becomes acute on chronic every so often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

House/apartment hunting?
Lol i still havent received any paperwork...

and my SAEM exam is in less than two weeks and i am not even remotely prepared and lack any desire to be.

Let me add idk even how to study for this exam. Bleh. I dont want to.

I signed a lease on a place I never saw in person. Hope I like it.
Expedia refuses to refund my money for the big trip I had to cancel. Trying to dispute it with my credit card. Guess we’ll see what happens there.
At least I’ve found online exercise classes!

Reactions: 3 users
It’s unnatural for them to make you take an exam during the end of fourth year.
Don't feel bad, my school made me do it for geriatrics. Exam itself was fine but holy hell.

I signed a lease on a place I never saw in person. Hope I like it.
Expedia refuses to refund my money for the big trip I had to cancel. Trying to dispute it with my credit card. Guess we’ll see what happens there.
At least I’ve found online exercise classes!
You would think Expedia would have the decency to refund you!
I also signed a lease for an apartment I haven’t seen.

Anybody have experience with figs scrub sizing? My residency program will be buying us figs and I've never worn them. According to their sizing chart, I'm a 38 in chest and 32 waist which corresponds to a small in both Male tops and bottoms. Do they fit true to size or should I size up to a medium?

It’s unnatural for them to make you take an exam during the end of fourth year.
Don't feel bad, my school made me do it for geriatrics. Exam itself was fine but holy hell.

Ive heard the SAEM exam is on par with NBME shelf exams. Nothing like a must pass exam looming over my head a month before graduation.

Anybody have experience with figs scrub sizing? My residency program will be buying us figs and I've never worn them. According to their sizing chart, I'm a 38 in chest and 32 waist which corresponds to a small in both Male tops and bottoms. Do they fit true to size or should I size up to a medium?
Are you male or female? The FIGS scrub top that I got this weekend was pretty big. I've heard that it's currently in style for women to wear looser tops, so Figs are big.

If you're female I'd get small. No advice if you're a male.

House/apartment hunting?

Residency paperwork has stalled out. I need to get fingerprinted but I'm going to wait and do it in the state I'm moving to because unlike my state, they are actually still doing it! I have done everything else I can do on it so far though.

Signed a lease on a place I haven't seen in person. It's smaller than I had hoped for but it is affordable, charming, ideally located, and all utilities are included so there won't be any surprises there. I'm currently in a state of denial that I will actually be moving across the country during a pandemic.

The panic has been sublimated into some daily existential dread, but, what else is new. As part of my denial, I'm avoiding packing, reading, ignoring the cardboard boxes in my apartment, and doing yoga every day.

Residency paperwork has stalled out. I need to get fingerprinted but I'm going to wait and do it in the state I'm moving to because unlike my state, they are actually still doing it! I have done everything else I can do on it so far though.

Signed a lease on a place I haven't seen in person. It's smaller than I had hoped for but it is affordable, charming, ideally located, and all utilities are included so there won't be any surprises there. I'm currently in a state of denial that I will actually be moving across the country during a pandemic.

The panic has been sublimated into some daily existential dread, but, what else is new. As part of my denial, I'm avoiding packing, reading, ignoring the cardboard boxes in my apartment, and doing yoga every day.
Haha wow we have a lot in common. I’m moving several hours away (not across country). I’ve been experiencing that same existential dread! Avoiding packing and reading. I think this would be stressful no matter what, adding a global crisis to the mix doesn’t help.

Haha wow we have a lot in common. I’m moving several hours away (not across country). I’ve been experiencing that same existential dread! Avoiding packing and reading. I think this would be stressful no matter what, adding a global crisis to the mix doesn’t help.

If it makes you both feel better, when I moved ~4 hours from my medical school to my core rotation site, I rented my apartment based only off of recommendations from upperclassmen plus the website. I never saw it live. I love it, and just signed my renewal.

I'm not moving across the country but am experiencing the same dread. There's so much uncertainty, by the time I move is there going to be a true shelter in place order? Will I get fined for moving my stuff? I had plans to do it in a few trips so I wouldn't need to borrow a trailer from anybody, is this even going to be possible?
Arghhhh

Surprisingly being forced to stay home all day everyday has kept me way busier than I had anticipated but I think a large part of that is forcing myself to be productive out of guilt that I have lots of things that will eventually need to be done so I shouldn't be "wasting" time and doing nothing.

I signed my apt lease last week and am just waiting for the final copy signed by the apt management. I'm super grateful that I matched into the ONE place where we have a family friend who lives nearby so he was able to do an apt tour and take photos/videos for me. The apt was just built a few months ago meaning I'll be the first tenant so I'm super excited :D

Residency paperwork is thankfully finishing up; just waiting to do fingerprinting and hopefully I'll be able to do that when I visit my parents out of state next month after moving out. VA has a stay at home order until June 10 so the fingerprinting sites will probably be closed until then =___=

I've slowly started to pack nonessential things--it's definitely doable if you break your place into smaller sections and aim to cover a section per day/every few days ie. bookcase, bathroom mirror cabinet, top of dresser contents, etc. I don't move out for another month but one of my friends is moving out beginning of May and she's already packed everything so it's made me start packing out of guilt LOL. It'll also give me a better idea of how many additional boxes I'll need to order..

Also been trudging through online coursework but at least it's relevant to residency like reviewing how to perform general procedures, donning/doffing PPE, crash course in learning how to manage fluids and vent settings, the harvard med student covid curriculum, etc.

Outside of all of that I've been playing catch up with lots of filming for my youtube channel (post video editing is the woooorst) and living vicariously through youtube let's plays of the new animal crossing game and Final Fantasy VII remake since I left all of my gaming consoles at my parents' house halfway across the country o-(-< I also want to get more into journaling since I have so many stickers and washi tape and decided to get a mini photo sticker printer...Just waiting on the actual journal to arrive since Amazon is delaying nonessential orders (3-4 weeks to deliver?? MADNESS lollll)

I'm not moving across the country but am experiencing the same dread. There's so much uncertainty, by the time I move is there going to be a true shelter in place order? Will I get fined for moving my stuff? I had plans to do it in a few trips so I wouldn't need to borrow a trailer from anybody, is this even going to be possible?
Arghhhh
You are (or will be) considered an essential worker and can travel without worry. Wear a mask in hotels, wash/sanitize hands after pumping gas, get used to take out meals. Take a copy of your PGY1 contract and/or something with your new posting on it (NRMP Letter) and show it to anyone who asks. A lot of nurses are travel nurses now who've moved or went cross-country and none of them had any problem. And when asked at the hotels, they told the hotel employees that they were front-line workers and got nothing but kudos.

Oh and for anyone, some hotels are offering free rooms or reduced rates for doctors, nurses, first responders. Some of these might work while you are moving. I'd consider any PGY1 a front-line responder because most of you will be working inpatient, ER or whatever in the first few months.

Hilton will offer rooms without charge to doctors, nurses, EMTs, paramedics and other frontline medical staff who need a place to sleep, recharge or isolate from their families through the end of May.

Rooms will be available across a variety of Hilton brands, including Hampton by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, DoubleTree by Hilton and others. Hotels will be staffed by Team Members who have received additional training on relevant health and safety measures to safeguard their own and their guests’ well-being. Hotel rooms and common areas will continue to be sanitized using industrial-grade cleaners and updated cleaning protocols.

The Hilton organizations will provide their networks with further details about booking rooms through this program, which is currently planned to cover stays from April 13 through May 31. Hilton and American Express to Donate Up to 1 Million Rooms to Frontline Medical Professionals During COVID-19 Crisis

OYO offers free nights but not sure if it counts while moving but try it. The budget-brand OYO Hotels & Homes is opening the doors to its hotels and offering free stays to doctors, nurses and other medical first responders who are helping in the fight against Coronavirus. Medical first responders will receive free accommodations at any OYO Hotel in the United States so they can sleep, shower or just get off their feet and recharge. The brand has more than 100 hotels in 21 states and 60 cities. Call 628-213-7020 or use code: OYO4FIRSTRESPONDERS for a reservation for the nearest OYO. Valid active First Responder identification is required. OYO: India's Best Online Hotel Booking Site for Affordable Stays

Do a google search - more free food and rooms and even plane flights.

You are (or will be) considered an essential worker and can travel without worry. Wear a mask in hotels, wash/sanitize hands after pumping gas, get used to take out meals. Take a copy of your PGY1 contract and/or something with your new posting on it (NRMP Letter) and show it to anyone who asks. A lot of nurses are travel nurses now who've moved or went cross-country and none of them had any problem. And when asked at the hotels, they told the hotel employees that they were front-line workers and got nothing but kudos.

I am considered an "essential worker" because I'm military. I have yet to be stopped by anyone, and I drove right by a cop on the highway like two days after the stay at home order.

I am considered an "essential worker" because I'm military. I have yet to be stopped by anyone, and I drove right by a cop on the highway like two days after the stay at home order.
At this time we don’t have a stay at home order where I am or where I’m going, everything is just shut down. With luck it’ll stay that way.

So we have a group chat for our intern class going and it seems like a lot of them are married with kids. I’m not really expecting to be bffs with everyone but I could see myself being the odd one out when they have gatherings and such. Hope there is a handful of single childless people left.

So we have a group chat for our intern class going and it seems like a lot of them are married with kids. I’m not really expecting to be bffs with everyone but I could see myself being the odd one out when they have gatherings and such. Hope there is a handful of single childless people left.

First of all, very jealous you all have a group chat going already, I can't wait to meet my future co-residents! Anyway, I think that worst case, you would at least meet residents in other specialties in with similar lives/interests. You're IM right? You will interact with literally everyone and get to meet everyone.

Anyone else's school having a virtual graduation? How are they doing it? Ours is having us all individually (with assigned times) go up to a studio and have a professional photo and video taken and then leave before the next person. I think it's a very nice idea but I still have some trepidation about how COVID safe that would be...ultimately aren't we still sharing the same air that way? Or am I being paranoid?

• Wow
Anyone else's school having a virtual graduation? How are they doing it? Ours is having us all individually (with assigned times) go up to a studio and have a professional photo and video taken and then leave before the next person. I think it's a very nice idea but I still have some trepidation about how COVID safe that would be...ultimately aren't we still sharing the same air that way? Or am I being paranoid?
My school is doing a virtual ceremony via Facebook Live. Last week they had us each recite Hippocratic Oath and have it recorded, and then the school is having all stitched together into a single recording. Otherwise there's one or two dean speeches and our student speaker. Maybe superlatives?

All in all it's actually kinda nice because they informed us it'll only take about an hour.

Ours is virtual but they havent provided much other information. We’re apparently getting regalia as well? Idk lol

Ours is virtual but they havent provided much other information. We’re apparently getting regalia as well? Idk lol
Ours is paying for our regalia and shipping it to us.

Ours is paying for our regalia and shipping it to us.
Us as well! Theyre even asking information for potential “hooders”. No idea how this will work though lol

I actually emailed my school to ask what exactly is a virtual graduation. They totally ignored me. Maybe they don’t even know. This might sound weird but I would rather have the dignity of saying we didn’t have a graduation than to say oh we had a FaceTime/zoom/Facebook live meeting that counted as graduation.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I actually emailed my school to ask what exactly is a virtual graduation. They totally ignored me. Maybe they don’t even know. This might sound weird but I would rather have the dignity of saying we didn’t have a graduation than to say oh we had a FaceTime/zoom/Facebook live meeting that counted as graduation.
My school has a townhall tomorrow so i’ll see what my school’s version of it is

My school has a townhall tomorrow so i’ll see what my school’s version of it is

I'll be curious to hear! I know it's more difficult to control lighting but I wish that they were taking the footage of us outside instead of a small studio.

My school had some speakers talk and then they showed pictures of the grads and said their names. They also said they were going to do an in-person formal ceremony in the fall so the grads can get to have a real graduation.
My school ruled in person out because it is logistically insanely hard to do