MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: still cant log in

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you need to log in now? Try again tomorrow, the system is probably crashing from everyone submitting today.

Because the IV message was through ERAS and the email provides no way to schedule it.

That’s some Alanis Morrisette style irony, yo

Yeah and i figured more of it out..
Im stupid and using my school email. And in a way to make everything more “secure” the school changed the settings that anything sent from external sources have attachements automatically blocked. Ive tried a bunch of things to fix this but it wont work.

So frustrated.

Yeah and i figured more of it out..
Im stupid and using my school email. And in a way to make everything more “secure” the school changed the settings that anything sent from external sources have attachements automatically blocked. Ive tried a bunch of things to fix this but it wont work.

So frustrated.
And that’s why I used my personal email.

And that’s why I used my personal email.

Yeah. And i screwed myself for not doing so. I dont ever check my personal. Guess i should have created a new one.

Watch me lose this interview.

Yeah. And i screwed myself for not doing so. I dont ever check my personal. Guess i should have created a new one.

Watch me lose this interview.
Nah, you won’t lose it. ERAS is having problems for everyone.Just check it in the AM. It’ll still be there. I have faith.

Here are the % of interviews sent before October in 2017 (from PD survey 2018..so N is limited..but still data to work with).

Stay Alert:
Peds - 37%, N = 78
Path - 33%, N = 43
Neuro - 31%, N = 41
FM - 29%, N = 152
Anesthesiology - 23%, N = 62
Child Neuro - 21%, N = 36
Diag Rad - 21%, N = 48
IM - 20%, N = 181
OB - 20%, N = 85
Psych - 19%, N = 61

Check your email every now and then:
PMR - 14%, N = 28
IR - 13%, N = 18
Transitional - 11%, N = 30
Gen Surg - 9%, N = 107
Neurosurg - 8%, N = 28
Thoracic - 7%, N = 11
ER - 6%, N = 92

Wake up in October:
Dermatology - 3%, N = 21
Ortho - 3%, N = 49
Rad/Onc - 1%, N = 27
ENT - 1%, N = 35
Plastics - 0%, N = 22
Vascular - 0%, N = 16

Reactions: 9 users
Is it only peds releasing interviews?!

Okay. Got in, changed my email.
Turns out you have to schedule through ERAS (news to me lol) but i got a slot. Good to go.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically we are boned if we use our school email? That’s news

Just spent the past hour trying to set up email sound notifications for gmail and it doesn't work on my android or ipad but sound notifications work if they come through my school email...I guess I'm stuck with having to use my school email to reliably get notifications -___-

So basically we are boned if we use our school email? That’s news

No, i thought my school email was blocking images, but it wasnt. I changed it so if i get an email alert, it’s from ERAS (as ERAS is all that is tied to that email) i know to be quick.

MS3 here, just wanted to say congratulations— I’m so excited for you!! I’ve been seeing your posts for the past weeks and know you got this!

I appreciate that, thank you :)

Just realized i assigned my FM personal statement to my IM applications this morning by accident before noon. I have now fixed the mistake, (8 pm eastern),

any ideas on whether it matters or not / programs would have seen that I did that?

I just shouted at my phone as I registered for the NRMP and had to dish out another $85.
This process is gonna leave me broke

Reactions: 8 users
I just shouted at my phone as I registered for the NRMP and had to dish out another $85.
There's profit motive at every point in the process to become a physician. It sucks.

Reactions: 4 users
Hopping on this thread and glad to see some familiar faces from the good 'ole AMCAS days. Applying IM

Reactions: 3 users
@aProgDirector , we have our clerkship director write the chair's letter (i guess he is the chair's designee and he indicates that on the letter). So, I didn't check the "chair's letter" option on ERAS letter request because he is not technically the chair but just the chair's designee. Will this be a problem?
I know I can't do anything about this now, but still wondering if I need to send a clarification to programs that this is my chair letter.

Does that need to be done soon?

any IM-categorical interview thread? can't find one

Reactions: 1 users
Nope just opened yesterday. Same for me today as later on so I just got it done.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll be damned. Got an interview invite today. Psychiatry.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
I’ll be damned. Got an interview invite today. Psychiatry.

Pumped for you! Been following your posts for a while.

Goodluck to everybody this cycle!

-eager M3 who can't wait to apply next year

Reactions: 3 users
On an aside, in what situation do people not apply on the day applications become open for submission? Isn't that just shooting yourself in the foot?

On an aside, in what situation do people not apply on the day applications become open for submission? Isn't that just shooting yourself in the foot?

It absolutely is. You shouldnt wait for anything IMO

Pumped for you! Been following your posts for a while.

Goodluck to everybody this cycle!

-eager M3 who can't wait to apply next year
Thanks bud! You know I’ve been worried then. I appreciate the positive vibes. :)

Applied peds. 35 programs and nothing yet.

When should I be expecting news?

Applied peds. 35 programs and nothing yet.

When should I be expecting news?

Anytime from now through October. Be patient...you'll definitely start hearing back the first and second week of October once Dean's letters are uploaded.

Anytime from now through October. Be patient...you'll definitely start hearing back the first and second week of October once Dean's letters are uploaded.
Thanks! Anxiety of course is roiling but I’m trying to keep busy.

Wait, so does that mean I panicked trying to get everything in before midnight yesterday pointless, since I could have just done it this morning?

Wait, so does that mean I panicked trying to get everything in before midnight yesterday pointless, since I could have just done it this morning?

??? Yesterday wasn't a deadline..it was just the opening. The general rule is...submit your app ASAP, but don't sacrifice the quality of your application. If you need a few days...your match outcome is not going to change if you submit when it opens vs. a few days later.

Not necessarily, someone told me that their institution pretty much only looks at applicants who submitted on the first day because they get so many apps and they have enough on day 1. That’s just one institution so it might not have affected you at all but if you applied to that program late it sounds like it would have just been wasted money.

Not necessarily, someone told me that their institution pretty much only looks at applicants who submitted on the first day because they get so many apps and they have enough on day 1. That’s just one institution so it might not have affected you at all but if you applied to that program late it sounds like it would have just been wasted money.
I can back this up with one program I applied to stating on their site they give interview preference to those applications that were in at 9AM. Just that one said that though.

IV from IM program this morn at 10:00 am! Message from another program indicating application received but they will not start sending out interviews until October...

I can back this up with one program I applied to stating on their site they give interview preference to those applications that were in at 9AM. Just that one said that though.

Well damn, I guess even getting it in on 9/16 means it’d be a waste of money. I don’t know why on their websites they say the application deadline is end of October or November.

Well damn, I guess even getting it in on 9/16 means it’d be a waste of money. I don’t know why on their websites they say the application deadline is end of October or November.
I imagine that (and this is me just spitballing) some programs see so many applicants they put stuff like that on their site. Others very well may seriously look at applicants through the following months.

I forget where I read it, but, some programs send out their IV’s early, but many will wait for the dean’s letter before doing anything. You will have zero chance if you dont submit, but the sooner, the better.

Just going over some places I applied to and surprised to see one saying they don’t accept students with LOA... how common is that? Hopefully I only wasted my money on that one