MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apartment! It’s a three story house that was divided into one apartment per story. Charm/aesthetics are really important to us and it’s a cute turn of the century place! We originally were hoping for a two bedroom but there was nothing that met our requirements that was also available when I needed to move so it’s a one bedroom again. It is otherwise perfect though and the housemates and landlord all seem like the loveliest people.
Did they renovate it so every level has its own kitchen and stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Did they renovate it so every level has its own kitchen and stuff?
Yeah! And very nicely too. I was getting ready to just grit my teeth and accept particle board cabinets and plastic handles like many of the other available places but it looks so pretty. About to have a dishwasher for the first time in my adult life. ~*~glow up~*~

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah! And very nicely too. I was getting ready to just grit my teeth and accept particle board cabinets and plastic handles like many of the other available places but it looks so pretty. About to have a dishwasher for the first time in my adult life. ~*~glow up~*~

Hell yeah. Getting that dishwasher will be a life changer.

Reactions: 1 user
Took some socially distanced grad pics today. Felt weird haha. At least it was something though...

Reactions: 3 users
I’m gonna have a washer/dryer for the first time since leaving for college. Very excited about that. No more quarters!

Reactions: 6 users
I’m gonna have a washer/dryer for the first time since leaving for college. Very excited about that. No more quarters!
hahaha. I'm having no w/d for the first time in my life. Send help (or quarters).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
hahaha. I'm having no w/d for the first time in my life. Send help (or quarters).
I take my laundry to my husband’s friend’s house... mine got stolen by a neighbor and I refuse to ever again.

Reactions: 1 users
I take my laundry to my husband’s friend’s house... mine got stolen by a neighbor and I refuse to ever again.
Shared laundry situations really bring out the worst in people.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
And nobody in my building is anywhere close to my size which is the most annoying part. Nobody owned up to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
And nobody in my building is anywhere close to my size which is the most annoying part. Nobody owned up to it.

Someone took a pair of my dirty ass steel toe boots on deployment once. Not sure who the **** would want them, but I got them back mysteriously like two days later or something.

Someone took a pair of my dirty ass steel toe boots on deployment once. Not sure who the **** would want them, but I got them back mysteriously like two days later or something.
When I was in undergrad I routinely had my detergent stolen if I left in the laundry area and if you didn't have your laundry out of the w/d immediately when it was done someone would inevitably dump it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I was in undergrad I routinely had my detergent stolen if I left in the laundry area and if you didn't have your laundry out of the w/d immediately when it was done someone would inevitably dump it.

My dorm life experience was similar.

In junior and senior years of undergrad I lived in one of 5 units and we had one shared w/d for the 5 units. People would sometimes do laundry at like 3 AM or leave their clothes in the washer for hours and then step out. And when that wasn't happening, the machine would break down so I would lug my laundry over to my friend's apartment one street over. Definitely appreciate in-unit w/d now after that experience lol

In junior and senior years of undergrad I lived in one of 5 units and we had one shared w/d for the 5 units. People would sometimes do laundry at like 3 AM or leave their clothes in the washer for hours and then step out. And when that wasn't happening, the machine would break down so I would lug my laundry over to my friend's apartment one street over. Definitely appreciate in-unit w/d now after that experience lol

That was definitely one of my requirements when I was looking at apartments for my big move this year for residency. I know I'll be doing laundry at random times, depending on my schedule and when i felt like doing it. lol . The convenience of an in unit W/D was definitely a must for me!

And add me to the list of people who will have a dishwasher for the first time in my life.

I have my place! It’s not perfect, but it has a dining room! I’ve never had that before. I also have a half bathroom which is exciting for the guest situation.
It has nice stainless steel appliances and has washer and dryer hookups upstairs so I don’t have to lug my clothes up and down the steps. Brand new carpet upstairs and bran new flooring downstairs. I’m excited!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I have my place! It’s not perfect, but it has a dining room! I’ve never had that before. I also have a half bathroom which is exciting for the guest situation.
It has nice stainless steel appliances and has washer and dryer hookups upstairs so I don’t have to lug my clothes up and down the steps. Brand new carpet upstairs and bran new flooring downstairs. I’m excited!
Let us know when your housewarming party is, sounds fab!

• Love
You guys I totally underestimated this packing thing. It’s such boring and tedious work. Almost made my way through the closet. Hoping it gets better from here.

The public must see these messages of new doctors being excited about having dishwashers and w/d in the room. They will change their opinion about how overpaid we are.

Reactions: 9 users
You guys I totally underestimated this packing thing. It’s such boring and tedious work. Almost made my way through the closet. Hoping it gets better from here.
I honestly have no idea how I'm going to logistically do this and I'm terrified.

I hate moving so much. I hate my current apartment but i hate moving so much more

I honestly have no idea how I'm going to logistically do this and I'm terrified.

To be fair it might be easier if I had sorted and gotten rid of stuff once in the last several years. Are you hiring movers or what are your plans?

To be fair it might be easier if I had sorted and gotten rid of stuff once in the last several years. Are you hiring movers or what are your plans?
Just me. I'm going to basically bring bare bones stuff to allow me to get settled and either have other things shipped or order what I need. It's just the fact I have to move across states and then set myself up.

Wow. We had 4 washers and dryers on the ship for 300 people. Each department had a day, so that meant like 60-70 people per day. If you walked in and a machine was done, most people would just take it out and flip it into the dryer or fold it if it was dry.

Whenever I’m packing to move, I carry my iPad to whatever room I’m working in and binge watch Netflix/Hulu while I pack. I also make bags to throw away and bags to donate as I go.

Reactions: 4 users
Whenever I’m packing to move, I carry my iPad to whatever room I’m working in and binge watch Netflix/Hulu while I pack. I also make bags to throw away and bags to donate as I go.
Binge watching or podcast listening is necessary. I would never get tedious tasks done otherwise.

So my SO came over and saw the place today (he’ll be there part time, he teaches college a hour away)
He opened the cabinet above the fridge (it’s super tall he’s 6”2 and can just reach the bottom of it) and found a nice set of glasses, wine glasses, a skull cup, a nice monogrammed beer stein and 2 of the movie tavern liter beer mugs you get refilled for half price at movie tavern.
Yay free stuff?

Last edited:
So my SO came over and saw the place today (he’ll be there part time, he teaches college a hour away)
He opened the cabinet above the fridge (it’s super tall he’s 6”2 and can just reach the bottom of it) and found a nice set of glasses, wine glasses, a skull cub, a nice monogrammed beer stein and 2 of the movie tavern liter beer mugs you get refilled for half price at movie tavern.
Yay free stuff?

Maybe ask the landlord if it’s theirs or they can ask the previous tenants. Maybe they want it and forgot it was there.

Yeah seriously moving sucks. I'm leaving Wednesday and in classic fashion I left the majority of packing/throwing things away till the last minute

Maybe ask the landlord if it’s theirs or they can ask the previous tenants. Maybe they want it and forgot it was there.
So I’m sure it’s likely the previous tenants. It’s a very hard shelf to reach, so the landlord didn’t clean it either. It set vacant for a month before I moved in,
I’m assuming the previous tenants didn’t miss it if they didn’t call and ask in that month.
I’ll probably take most of it up to the landlord.
but those movie tavern mugs. I’ve always wanted one of those.

anyone got any recs for a full size bed that's ~$200

I played the “what’s the cheapest attractive bed I can get with slats and no box spring” game and lost. Bought a cute little mid-century looking number for $240 and over the course of maybe six months the legs were buckling and bending. Not worth it. I ended up buying an antique iron bed and box spring on Craigslist for around the same price and it has been great. That being said, the slat bed I bought in high school from IKEA (malm) is still kicking around in my parents guest bedroom. Your mileage may vary but regardless, I would avoid the 7-8 leg slat style beds and do something with a box spring.

I can't imagine getting a mattress for that low. I'm not sure if mattress stores are open near you, but I'd recommend going in and checking out beds. You'll be sleeping on this mattress when you come back home exhausted; you'll want to have a fairly comfortable rest. You can get discounts on floor models and they frequently extend credit lines to customers; mine was 0% APR for 9 months.

I can't imagine getting a mattress for that low. I'm not sure if mattress stores are open near you, but I'd recommend going in and checking out beds. You'll be sleeping on this mattress when you come back home exhausted; you'll want to have a fairly comfortable rest. You can get discounts on floor models and they frequently extend credit lines to customers; mine was 0% APR for 9 months.

Second this. I sprung for a California King that was pretty expensive, but holy crap was it worth it. When I came home after 36 hours at work and just wanted to sleep, that thing was amazing.

How many miles did you drive? My dad and I are driving 1800 with 2 overnight stops on the way.
We did 1800 miles! The first day was spent mostly packing and we did around 300 miles that night. The rest was almost evenly split between three days of driving. We had a moving truck with a car trailer attached though so we were limited in terms of speed and comfort.

Did you guys have any trouble getting hotel rooms on your way? Might be making a cross country drive of 1600 miles soon & dreading it
You are going to want to book them about an hour out from getting there. We did not have any issues but some places were sold out of the rooms we wanted or only had like deluxe rooms available that we didn’t want to pay extra for.

just got a full mattress off of amazon for 205 with shipping, taxes, and other crap included. It's a zinus, 10 inch, memory foam. I can let you know how it is, but I don't subscribe to the idea that you need to spend thousands on a comfortable mattress. When you come back from a 36 hour residency shift you could probably fall asleep in a spiked coffin.

just got a full mattress off of amazon for 205 with shipping, taxes, and other crap included. It's a zinus, 10 inch, memory foam. I can let you know how it is, but I don't subscribe to the idea that you need to spend thousands on a comfortable mattress. When you come back from a 36 hour residency shift you could probably fall asleep in a spiked coffin.

One of the most comfortable mattresses I've had (2nd only to a much more expensive one that was a gift) was the full one I bought at the beginning of med school for $250. I still have it and kids are sleeping on it now. Its seen better days, but is still pretty comfortable. I do recommend getting a comfortable one, but I agree you don't need an expensive one for it to be comfortable, the expensive ones just seem to last longer.

Also 36 hr shifts don't and shouldn't exist in residency anymore. I've had a shift that pushed 29, but it was partly my fault. 24+4 hrs is the technical max.

Did you guys have any trouble getting hotel rooms on your way? Might be making a cross country drive of 1600 miles soon & dreading it

When I drove from Cali to VA, each morning we figured out about how far we wanted to go that day and then booked a room that morning. That gave us something to shoot for and made it so we never had any issues trying to find a room after we had been driving all day.

When I drove from Cali to VA, each morning we figured out about how far we wanted to go that day and then booked a room that morning. That gave us something to shoot for and made it so we never had any issues trying to find a room after we had been driving all day.
Thanks @Matthew9Thirtyfive and @Oedipa Maas. I had heard some worrisome stories from friends who were driving a few weeks ago (more toward the start of the pandemic). Almost at a destination, they would double check the reservation and find it had been cancelled with no notice. Frantic hotel searches ensued. I hope that with some things being re-opened that won't happen.

Thanks @Matthew9Thirtyfive and @Oedipa Maas. I had heard some worrisome stories from friends who were driving a few weeks ago (more toward the start of the pandemic). Almost at a destination, they would double check the reservation and find it had been cancelled with no notice. Frantic hotel searches ensued. I hope that with some things being re-opened that won't happen.

Yeah I’m not sure how things are with covid but @Oedipa Maas seemed to make it. Canceling with no notice is ****ty though.

I bought a couch for my house. Wooooo!

Hope everyone is doing good with the getting to new places and adjusting :)

Reactions: 11 users
Honestly I was pretty shocked at the lack of COVID precautions and based on that I don’t think any place would cancel on you last minute especially if you are booking same day. The last place I went to was the only one where there was hand sanitizer and distance markers. Even then I only saw one employee in a mask. Probably depends on where you are going but the people at the hotels and gas stations of middle America that I stopped at did not seem to be living any differently.