MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else feel like they don’t remember anything medical. Like I’m not confident enough to prescribe Tylenol right now.
My last "real" rotation was in October/November 2019". I think even premeds know more medicine than me at this point. I'm self-cringing already.

Edit: Wait, no this is a lie. I had a surgery rotation in January. Sorry Fam, my memory isn't as sharp anymore....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
COVID is always an issue.
Yup. Initially I was planning on studying this month and a bit in June and take it before orientation. Now I feel will be lucky to take it by EOY.

Reactions: 1 users
national guard moved into my new city that i'm flying into in a few days. what a great year:dead:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
national guard moved into my new city that i'm flying into in a few days. what a great year:dead:
The greatest. The greatest, most fantastic, year like nothing you've ever seen. It's gonna be huge.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
@MerYangBey how is the move going?
Haha thanks for asking! So stage one- move out of old apartment is done. My move in date at my new place got pushed a couple days. So currently my stuff is in a trailer at my parents who have very graciously agreed to help with the move. I’ll update in a couple days after stage two of the move.
Are you settled in at the new place?

Haha thanks for asking! So stage one- move out of old apartment is done. My move in date at my new place got pushed a couple days. So currently my stuff is in a trailer at my parents who have very graciously agreed to help with the move. I’ll update in a couple days after stage two of the move.
Are you settled in at the new place?

Stage 1, the worst stage, is done! Congrats!

Pretty much fully settled. I just have two boxes of "office stuff" left and one ikea order in the mail and then I am done! Currently focusing my energy on all of the mind-numbing bureaucratic stuff of moving to a new state - drivers license, car insurance, car registration, blah. Also waiting for the state medical board to process my training license and starting to sweat it.

Lease is signed and sealed and delivered moving in next week

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Love
Stage 1, the worst stage, is done! Congrats!

Pretty much fully settled. I just have two boxes of "office stuff" left and one ikea order in the mail and then I am done! Currently focusing my energy on all of the mind-numbing bureaucratic stuff of moving to a new state - drivers license, car insurance, car registration, blah. Also waiting for the state medical board to process my training license and starting to sweat it.
Haha Thanks!
I need to get on that stuff soon. This is my first time moving from my home state! I’ve also ignored my loans and such for a while. Trying not to get too anxious about it (Keyword trying).

Haha Thanks!
I need to get on that stuff soon. This is my first time moving from my home state! I’ve also ignored my loans and such for a while. Trying not to get too anxious about it (Keyword trying).

I just put in the request to consolidate my loans. It was pretty quick, it’s all online. Then the servicer sent me physical mail with “are you SURE? If so, don’t contact us for 30 days and we will get right on that”. The exit counseling is pretty painless too, I promise. Glad I read about the plans before though because it really glazes over the REPAYE Interest subsidy.

Reactions: 1 user
I want Figs. I know they’re expensive, oh well.
How do they fit?

How do they fit?

likeaglove.gif

I don't actually know, I just wanted to use that gif

Reactions: 7 users
Moved my stuff to an apartment I obviously hadn’t seen before. It’s smaller than I thought. Also the landlord asked for a couple extra days to clean the apartment but the more I look the less clean it really looks.
You guys I already feel homesick.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Moved my stuff to an apartment I obviously hadn’t seen before. It’s smaller than I thought. Also the landlord asked for a couple extra days to clean the apartment but the more I look the less clean it really looks.
You guys I already feel homesick.

Been there. I moved into a house in Hawaii with like zero notice because I was coming off deployment. It had gecko poop all over the house. Like every single room.

Been there. I moved into a house in Hawaii with like zero notice because I was coming off deployment. It had gecko poop all over the house. Like every single room.
How did you know it was gecko poop specifically lol?

• Haha
How did you know it was gecko poop specifically lol?

gecko/lizard poop looks kinda like rat poop with a little white thing on the end

I know this because I too have found lizard poop in my apartment building and panicked that it was rats until I looked it up

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
New panic: i still dont have my license.

Reactions: 3 users
I am still not entirely sure if I'm supposed to have a license as a resident or not considering no one in my program responds to email.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I am still not entirely sure if I'm supposed to have a license as a resident or not considering no one in my program responds to email.

I keep getting emails from my program and ive exhausted all channels at this point.

The board asked me to provide additional documentation aka a document I already provided so now I’m in a tailspin wondering if it’s not sufficient even though it’s the exact document they requested. I would feel so much better if I could just call and talk to someone instead of uploading documents and hoping they stick?

I, fortunately, don't have to have a license, you get it after 6 months of training. But there have been so many damn documents to upload this would have been a lot easier in person.

On a positive note, I got my loveseat today! Won't have the couch until the end of the month but I love the look. My place isn't perfect, but it'll definitely do fine for the next 4 years. I feel like I lucked out on since I didn't get to see it beforehand.

I, fortunately, don't have to have a license, you get it after 6 months of training. But there have been so many damn documents to upload this would have been a lot easier in person.

On a positive note, I got my loveseat today! Won't have the couch until the end of the month but I love the look. My place isn't perfect, but it'll definitely do fine for the next 4 years. I feel like I lucked out on since I didn't get to see it beforehand.
I feel you on the paperwork. And so much of it is redundant too.

The board asked me to provide additional documentation aka a document I already provided so now I’m in a tailspin wondering if it’s not sufficient even though it’s the exact document they requested. I would feel so much better if I could just call and talk to someone instead of uploading documents and hoping they stick?
I tried calling and not surprising, theyre closed. Ive submitted everything I can. My school has to send in a form, which they say they did, but the board still doesnt have it. So i have to just ride it out now.

without the trainee license, i cant start.

this is fun

I tried calling and not surprising, theyre closed. Ive submitted everything I can. My school has to send in a form, which they say they did, but the board still doesnt have it. So i have to just ride it out now.

without the trainee license, i cant start.

this is fun
My program’s HR office has been closed but still giving appointments to people to come in even though they’re closed... covid is making this more difficult than it should be.

My program’s HR office has been closed but still giving appointments to people to come in even though they’re closed... covid is making this more difficult than it should be.
My program’s HR is still open.

My problem is with the state now and i have zero recourse now.

Downloaded the Step 3 Anki deck. It’s over 9000 cards. Idk how to begin to tackle that lol

How do they fit?
Before you buy I’d make sure you’re allowed to wear them. My hospital, for example, only allows residents to wear scrubs they provide. One can’t wear outside scrubs

So just a heads up

• Wow
Before you buy I’d make sure you’re allowed to wear them. My hospital, for example, only allows residents to wear scrubs they provide. One can’t wear outside scrubs

So just a heads up
Already confirmed it is okay!

I got my rotation schedule finally for intern year. The chiefs asked us for our one "major" vacation request that we'd like as a priority throughout the year but didn't really ask us for our other requests. The schedule has our vacation weeks scheduled for us at certain times. I was under the impression that I could request my own vacation...I have a vacation week in like July after a really easy first month and would rather push that back to another time...

• Sad
I got my rotation schedule finally for intern year. The chiefs asked us for our one "major" vacation request that we'd like as a priority throughout the year but didn't really ask us for our other requests. The schedule has our vacation weeks scheduled for us at certain times. I was under the impression that I could request my own vacation...I have a vacation week in like July after a really easy first month and would rather push that back to another time...
That's annoying. My chefs were nice about it in just saying "hey we don't have the schedule finalized yet so just request what you want and we'll do our best to accommodate you."

I FINALLY HAVE INTERNET AFTER 2.5 WEEKS \o/ Glad I did my ACLS and PALS before moving; hopefully I can knock out NRP and BLS this weekend ;o;

Congrats on the matches, upcoming moves, and starting residency, folks.

I'm a soon-to-be fourth year, applying IM. Apologies for not reading this entire thread but I'm curious about ERAS photos. I'm not too keen on the photo my school took of me during the end of second year, they often use those for ERAS but I'm thinking about scheduling a visit at a JCPennys or something like that to get my own headshots done.

Q is, are we expected to smile or no smile? Angled headshot or straight on? Teeth in the smile or no teeth? Are light (say, 8 o'clock shadow) beards looked down upon?

Super neurotic, I know. But I've heard so much disagreement with this, I'm hoping to get some clarification from all of you lovely souls who have made it to the other side successful.

I'm a soon-to-be fourth year, applying IM. Apologies for not reading this entire thread but I'm curious about ERAS photos. I'm not too keen on the photo my school took of me during the end of second year, they often use those for ERAS but I'm thinking about scheduling a visit at a JCPennys or something like that to get my own headshots done.

Q is, are we expected to smile or no smile? Angled headshot or straight on? Teeth in the smile or no teeth? Are light (say, 8 o'clock shadow) beards looked down upon?

Super neurotic, I know. But I've heard so much disagreement with this, I'm hoping to get some clarification from all of you lovely souls who have made it to the other side successful.
Just imagine you're weightless, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by seahorses. It's gonna come out really nice.
giphy-4.gif

Based on interviewee photos that were handed out at some of my interviews, most people smiled and those with beards of any sort made sure they were well-groomed. Angled vs straight and teeth vs no teeth should make no difference. Just do what feels comfortable and is normal for you.

1. Chillllllllllllllllllllllllll
2. Smile. However you feel natural and not awkward.

You’ve gotten great advice so far. I too had a dreadful school photo and was also super neurotic about this, no worries. I ended up just having my partner take it because I knew I would probably look the most natural with him behind the camera. We took a bunch in different lighting and background conditions. Then I had a friend do some standard subtle “photo edits” - light correction, a little skin smoothing, zit removal, teeth whitening (third year was the year of coffee) so that I would look like the best version of myself.

My only recommendation to add is if you do a photo session somewhere, see if they will let you do two backgrounds. One of your choosing and then one that is plain white. If you go back in the thread you will see that some institutions require a white-background photo for your badge pic and this way you can kill two birds with one stone. Also even if they say they want a grey or blue or whatever color background, having it be white makes it very easy to photoshop.

Based on interviewee photos that were handed out at some of my interviews, most people smiled and those with beards of any sort made sure they were well-groomed. Angled vs straight and teeth vs no teeth should make no difference. Just do what feels comfortable and is normal for you.
1. Chillllllllllllllllllllllllll
2. Smile. However you feel natural and not awkward.
You’ve gotten great advice so far. I too had a dreadful school photo and was also super neurotic about this, no worries. I ended up just having my partner take it because I knew I would probably look the most natural with him behind the camera. We took a bunch in different lighting and background conditions. Then I had a friend do some standard subtle “photo edits” - light correction, a little skin smoothing, zit removal, teeth whitening (third year was the year of coffee) so that I would look like the best version of myself.

My only recommendation to add is if you do a photo session somewhere, see if they will let you do two backgrounds. One of your choosing and then one that is plain white. If you go back in the thread you will see that some institutions require a white-background photo for your badge pic and this way you can kill two birds with one stone. Also even if they say they want a grey or blue or whatever color background, having it be white makes it very easy to photoshop.

You guys are great, thank you!!

So life update. I’ve spent hours online shopping. Finally ordered two pieces of furniture. I was worried about assembly but I think I found someone to do it.
Have to deal with some paperwork this week.
Orientation starts next week! Where did our vacation go lol.

Finally got my license!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
So life update. I’ve spent hours online shopping. Finally ordered two pieces of furniture. I was worried about assembly but I think I found someone to do it.
Have to deal with some paperwork this week.
Orientation starts next week! Where did our vacation go lol.
I was wondering the same thing. Part of me is so excited to start and another part is going to sorely miss my current routine of waking up whenever, having infinite time to read, do yoga, go on walks, cook, complete tasks, talk to family/friends, spend time with my partner, and re-binge Star Trek.

I was wondering the same thing. Part of me is so excited to start and another part is going to sorely miss my current routine of waking up whenever, having infinite time to read, do yoga, go on walks, cook, complete tasks, talk to family/friends, spend time with my partner, and re-binge Star Trek.
Glad im not the only one who feels this way.

Glad im not the only one who feels this way.
Part of it is that I have had no time to do these things until the last quarter of fourth year. Or it was all piecemeal. Some days I had time to cook something other than a TJs frozen option, some days I had time to pleasure read, some days I had time to work out, some days I had time to run errands. To have all of that at once is so impossibly lovely.