MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soo i have a pre-assessment ITE in a week lolol

Not studying

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So my salary was just cut, and I haven’t even heard about it from the university, just from other residents and the union. I’m raising kids on this salary. My #2 choice isn’t cutting salaries. My #3 choice pays what is now $15K more than I’m making. I was okay with my salary because it was just enough, but now it’s not.

Wonder if they’ll address it at orientation next week?

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
So my salary was just cut, and I haven’t even heard about it from the university, just from other residents and the union. I’m raising kids on this salary. My #2 choice isn’t cutting salaries. My #3 choice pays what is now $15K more than I’m making. I was okay with my salary because it was just enough, but now it’s not.

Wonder if they’ll address it at orientation next week?
That truly sucks. I didn’t think they could do that but I guess there was nothing about salary in the paperwork I signed after match. I feel like they’ll have to address it at orientation. I totally get why you’re feeling cheated.

That truly sucks. I didn’t think they could do that but I guess there was nothing about salary in the paperwork I signed after match. I feel like they’ll have to address it at orientation. I totally get why you’re feeling cheated.
No, I signed a contract with the dollar amount in it, as well as the raises we are promised every year. The union is fighting this, and they said that they will have to repay us after the “fiscal emergency” is over, but who knows when that will happen. I don’t know if I’m more annoyed by the paycut or the fact that I found out about this on social media and WhatsApp.

Reactions: 4 users
No, I signed a contract with the dollar amount in it, as well as the raises we are promised every year. The union is fighting this, and they said that they will have to repay us after the “fiscal emergency” is over, but who knows when that will happen. I don’t know if I’m more annoyed by the paycut or the fact that I found out about this on social media and WhatsApp.

What the ****. If you have a contract with a certain dollar amount, not paying that amount is a breach of contract.

Reactions: 6 users
What the ****. If you have a contract with a certain dollar amount, not paying that amount is a breach of contract.
Exactly. According to our CIR, they will have to retroactively pay us, but they are arguing that this is not necessary in the first place because Rutgers is not actually in a state of fiscal emergency, and even if they were, our funding does not come from Rutgers.

Reactions: 3 users
I discovered our entire orientation is unpaid. That should be illegal. It’s work, pay me. I won’t get my first paycheck until the end of July lololol
And I’m sorry @njtrimed. That really sucks. It’s not fair to be promised something and then have it taken away.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I discovered our entire orientation is unpaid. That should be illegal. It’s work, pay me. I won’t get my first paycheck until the end of July lololol
And I’m sorry @njtrimed. That really sucks. It’s not fair to be promised something and then have it taken away.
It may be illegal: 29 CFR § 785.29 - Training directly related to employee's job.

The caveat is that there may be an exemption somewhere for resident employees since there always seems to be an exemption whenever residents are concerned. I don't have the bandwidth to search for that particular statute or regulation if it exists. I've done enough work for a Sunday.

Our orientation is paid thankfully but we also get paid at the end of the month and it’s unclear if the first paycheck will be at the end of June or after a full pay period (end of July). This no paycheck limbo is awful. If I were still in school loans would have disbursed in June.

Reactions: 1 user
Our orientation is paid thankfully but we also get paid at the end of the month and it’s unclear if the first paycheck will be at the end of June or after a full pay period (end of July). This no paycheck limbo is awful. If I were still in school loans would have disbursed in June.
I firmly believe that every residency program should give at least 2,500 for relocation fees. I got zero of course. I don’t know how they expect people to manage without money.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program pays for orientation and our first check comes on 6/25. They also pay up to $500 in relocation fees, but only certain things apply, such as truck rentals and whatnot, not security deposits.

I firmly believe that every residency program should give at least 2,500 for relocation fees. I got zero of course. I don’t know how they expect people to manage without money.

Completely agree. I would even be fine with it being an “advance” and counting against my last paycheck of intern year or something. By then I should at least have some savings.

I agree — I’m incredibly thankful for my program’s generous reimbursement for relocation, even still I’m going to pay some out of pocket but it’s a huge help. I would have seriously struggled without it come July.

Orientation starts tomorrow. What is happening?! :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
It may be illegal: 29 CFR § 785.29 - Training directly related to employee's job.

The caveat is that there may be an exemption somewhere for resident employees since there always seems to be an exemption whenever residents are concerned. I don't have the bandwidth to search for that particular statute or regulation if it exists. I've done enough work for a Sunday.
I’m not happy about it, but don’t feel like I have any recourse. The life of a resident is so ****ty. If you’re unhappy with your employer you grit your teeth and bear it.
to be fair though they pay 5k more per year than surrounding residencies, but also don’t have an education allowance and I have to pay for my boards out of pocket.

• Wow
You know what I lied earlier because my department lied. My program said no pay, but the orientation just started and GME said they’ll tack on to our first paycheck (at the end of July) an extra $500.

Last edited:
That’s so frustrating! It turns out our orientation is only paid (a small stipend) because it’s supposed to cover Cobra costs. Having had Cobra in the past, this would cover maybe 60% of one month, and our health insurance doesn’t kick in until September...

Orientation should be paid, period- unless it’s voluntary, not mandatory! We all already spent dozens of unpaid hours on paperwork. As a hospital employee prior to med school, I got paid my full hourly rate for 3-4 8 hour days of orientation.

Update: i suck at Epic and still have no clue how to use it.

We have zero in person orientation until June 29 but apparently a bunch of online stuff that we've received zero guidance on.

On top of myriad communication issues between the GME office and my cohort we are off to a roaring start

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Sad
  • Wow
We have zero in person orientation until June 29 but apparently a bunch of online stuff that we've received zero guidance on.

On top of myriad communication issues between the GME office and my cohort we are off to a roaring start

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We’ve yet to get any type of schedule for the orientation that starts in two days. It would be nice to have so I can plan for things that I still need to do/be home for. I just don’t get it. Like they can’t be waiting until the last day to make the schedule so why not send it out at least for the week.

Mostly Sunrise. Used Cerner for one rotation. Allscripts at another.
If what I’ve heard is correct those are harder to use than Epic so you’ll master it no time :).

Hey friends, I have another question for you all if you don't mind. What were some of the best methods you guys found for making sure interview invites were able to be responded to and accepted right away? I've heard making outlook/email "rules" to have them send it to your phone as a text. That may be really beneficial if you have an apple watch too, I'd assume?

Our school forces us to use out school email for ERAS and I'm wondering if there's a way around that. I've heard that using gmail is more helpful to make sure the emails come and are forwarded quicker.

Any advice on your experiences would be great!

Hey friends, I have another question for you all if you don't mind. What were some of the best methods you guys found for making sure interview invites were able to be responded to and accepted right away? I've heard making outlook/email "rules" to have them send it to your phone as a text. That may be really beneficial if you have an apple watch too, I'd assume?

Our school forces us to use out school email for ERAS and I'm wondering if there's a way around that. I've heard that using gmail is more helpful to make sure the emails come and are forwarded quicker.

Maybe your school email won’t do this, but I have my school email set to forward to my gmail account, which I can then set to alert me when I get one.

I think Apple Watch was the real mvp during invite season. You can turn off alerts for other apps, so I turned off Snapchat and random things like that. So i basically left email and messages. When I got an email I quickly glanced at my wrist even if I was in clinic or rotation or whatever. If you have to be glued to your phone screen it would be more annoying to preceptors and such on rotations (assuming your have rotations lol).

I think Apple Watch was the real mvp during invite season. You can turn off alerts for other apps, so I turned off Snapchat and random things like that. So i basically left email and messages. When I got an email I quickly glanced at my wrist even if I was in clinic or rotation or whatever. If you have to be glued to your phone screen it would be more annoying to preceptors and such on rotations (assuming your have rotations lol).

looks like I have a reason to buy myself an apple watch now.

How can they force you to use your school email?

What i did was create a new gmail account just for it. Turned all notifications off and had the sound on my phone for the first time ever.

The watch definitely would be helpful here though, i concur

How can they force you to use your school email?

What i did was create a new gmail account just for it. Turned all notifications off and had the sound on my phone for the first time ever.

The watch definitely would be helpful here though, i concur
I made a new email for ERAS season. I had my phone make a specific sound anytime I received a new email. That and phone calls were the only things making sounds on my phone. It came to the point, as it will for most, where anything could be happening but if your phone rings, you run to the nearest PC and sign up for your interview. I even pulled off a freeway exit a few times. Don't mess around.

I made a new email for ERAS season. I had my phone make a specific sound anytime I received a new email. That and phone calls were the only things making sounds on my phone. It came to the point, as it will for most, where anything could be happening but if your phone rings, you run to the nearest PC and sign up for your interview. I even pulled off a freeway exit a few times. Don't mess around.
I had to do that for the program i matched at lol

They can’t force you to use the school email. You make the account and if you’re like me, your aamc ID is already associated with your personal account and that’s where things go. I also had an Apple Watch and even responded to an interview invite during a presentation on an AI. You gotta do what you gotta do.

On another note my parking pass is almost $500 for the year. Otherwise I’m loving my program and my co-residents so far.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
looks like I have a reason to buy myself an apple watch now.
I have literally the first generation Apple Watch. Have been using it for 5 years. It’s just so convenient because you can always be connected without constantly looking at your phone. And if you like to track fitness stuff then it’s also cool. But if you’re on a tight budget then obviously there are other ways to manage the interview season.

Anyone else getting their licensing fees and licensing exams (step3/comlex3) refunded? Woot woot!

First night in my new apartment. The newness of everything feels really uncomfortable :(

If my sleep problem could fix itself before next week that would be great.

Was given a survival guide today. Ive never felt more scared.

• Haha
Was given a survival guide today. Ive never felt more scared.
Was just told the service I am starting on has exploded and is exceptionally busy. We got this, right???

Im on a consult service which is one of the easiest rotations... which is why you get call. I know nothing. Who’s bright idea was it to let me graduate?

My clerkship years sure did not prepare me for this lol
Lots of notes, when i didnt have to write notes on many rotations. Ive only had to participate in sign out on one rotation. Hell, I even got a cush surgery rotation.

Im on a consult service which is one of the easiest rotations... which is why you get call. I know nothing. Who’s bright idea was it to let me graduate?

My clerkship years sure did not prepare me for this lol
Lots of notes, when i didnt have to write notes on many rotations. Ive only had to participate in sign out on one rotation. Hell, I even got a cush surgery rotation.
If it makes you feel any better I had a very similar clinical experience. Very few notes, little consistency, varying expectations. In all honesty I think I had 3 solid rotations in 2 years. So I really really get how you feel. But we can learn all this stuff. It’s gonna suck for a bit though lol.