MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just going over some places I applied to and surprised to see one saying they don’t accept students with LOA... how common is that? Hopefully I only wasted my money on that one
I went through every psychiatry program other than California and saw that twice. I imagine it isn’t super common in other specialties either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I forget where I read it, but, some programs send out their IV’s early, but many will wait for the dean’s letter before doing anything. You will have zero chance if you dont submit, but the sooner, the better.

That’s what I figured, but if programs have a way to filter apps that come in after 9/15, then submitting on 9/16 is a waste.

Is there a separate thread for different specialties that people are applying to? I thought I saw an EM 2019-2020 thread and was wondering if there is any other threads for other specialties

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys.. got a second interview :D

Reactions: 17 users
Do all the interview invites come via the ERAS message center, or are some just direct emails from the program?

Does anyone know about the possibility of assigning a new personal statement after you’ve already assigned one to all programs? I realized immediately after submitting (face palm) that I should have mentioned something that was unique to a few programs that might help me get an interview. It I assign the new PS now, will it replace the old one? Or will they just have access to both?

Does anyone know about the possibility of assigning a new personal statement after you’ve already assigned one to all programs? I realized immediately after submitting (face palm) that I should have mentioned something that was unique to a few programs that might help me get an interview. It I assign the new PS now, will it replace the old one? Or will they just have access to both?
I read on reddit that if you assign a new PS it replaces the old one... not 100% sure tho

Do all the interview invites come via the ERAS message center, or are some just direct emails from the program?

For me, one came from the ERAS message center, the other was a direct email

Woke up this morning and got my first interview!! FM in California

Reactions: 10 users
So happy for you guys who received interview invites. I am still sitting here and waiting. Hope my time will come soon.:( The wait and the worry is unnerving.....

Members don't see this ad :)
So happy for you guys who received interview invites. I am still sitting here and waiting. Hope my time will come soon.:( The wait and the worry is unnerving.....
Same, I reckon most all of us are waiting for our first. What’re you applying?

Please post your prelim year interview dates here!

Same. Haven't even heard from my home program. Have gotten multiple "thanks for your app, we received it" e-mails. My peers applying to different specialities have already had invites from our home program. Not sure what you applied to, but I applied to all of the AZ psych programs and it looks like from previous threads they did not send invites until October. (assuming you applied AZ based on your username!)

@aProgDirector , we have our clerkship director write the chair's letter (i guess he is the chair's designee and he indicates that on the letter). So, I didn't check the "chair's letter" option on ERAS letter request because he is not technically the chair but just the chair's designee. Will this be a problem?
I know I can't do anything about this now, but still wondering if I need to send a clarification to programs that this is my chair letter.
Not an issue, they will see it anyway. Lots of people choose incorrectly.

If you submit a second PS, it replaces the first. If a program has already saved your app as a PDF or printed it on paper, they will have the old one. Else, they will just see the new one.

Regarding personalizing PS's -- IMHO it's only helpful if you really have a connection to a program or area. Every year a few people just decide to add our program's name to their PS, and it's clear they will just put another program's name into the same spot for each place they apply. This is fooling no one, and not helping you at all. Saying generic things like "you have great research opportnities" or "I saw your fellowship match and it was great" are really meaningless. And if you send the wrong PS to the program, that's a disaster.

Reactions: 2 users
Not an issue, they will see it anyway. Lots of people choose incorrectly.

If you submit a second PS, it replaces the first. If a program has already saved your app as a PDF or printed it on paper, they will have the old one. Else, they will just see the new one.

Regarding personalizing PS's -- IMHO it's only helpful if you really have a connection to a program or area. Every year a few people just decide to add our program's name to their PS, and it's clear they will just put another program's name into the same spot for each place they apply. This is fooling no one, and not helping you at all. Saying generic things like "you have great research opportnities" or "I saw your fellowship match and it was great" are really meaningless. And if you send the wrong PS to the program, that's a disaster.
Thanks!

1) I started an away rotation today at someplace I would not mind matching. Would it be wise of me to let the residents and attending know that I'll have to be on my phone every once in a while to check for interview invites?

2) Anyone know how on an iphone to only get the gmail app notifications to vibrate on silent and no other apps?

3) If I were to have a friend help me, does he need both my gmail and ERAS account? How is interview scheduling handled?

1) I started an away rotation today at someplace I would not mind matching. Would it be wise of me to let the residents and attending know that I'll have to be on my phone every once in a while to check for interview invites?

2) Anyone know how on an iphone to only get the gmail app notifications to vibrate on silent and no other apps?

3) If I were to have a friend help me, does he need both my gmail and ERAS account? How is interview scheduling handled?
1- I think they know the drill. An attending today even joked about who is gonna be checking their mail the most..

2-no idea but I got my phone on full blast with a specific ring tone for invite emails

1- I think they know the drill. An attending today even joked about who is gonna be checking their mail the most..

2-no idea but I got my phone on full blast with a specific ring tone for invite emails
Oooh, how do you set that up? I have emails forwarded to my phone but texts come from a different number every time.

I think I'm gonna go with the nuclear option. I'm going to turn ALL notifications off (sound, vibration, preview) on everything except my one gmail account on the gmail app. So if my phone rings, you best believe I'm stopping chest compressions and heading to the nearest PC.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Same, I reckon most all of us are waiting for our first. What’re you applying?
Applying surgery with IM as back up. I am worried that my step scores are not good enough (Step 1 is low 230’s). I haven’t receive one single email even acknowledging that they received my apps. Looks like a number of folks here got the confirmation email. I checked ERAS and it shows that I have applied to the programs. Wonder why I didn’t receive a single email so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Oooh, how do you set that up? I have emails forwarded to my phone but texts come from a different number every time.
I just have email on my phone so not sure how forwarding works in this regard? I just VIP’d aamc/ thalamus/ etc and gave the email account a specific ring tone so I know that ring tone = interview
I think I'm gonna go with the nuclear option. I'm going to turn ALL notifications off (sound, vibration, preview) on everything except my one gmail account on the gmail app. So if my phone rings, you best believe I'm stopping chest compressions and heading to the nearest PC.
Does your phone have a none/ silent option for a ringtone? I have an iPhone and it does not so I just gave phone calls the most benign ringtone possible

Applying surgery with IM as back up. I am worried that my step scores are not good enough (Step 1 is low 230’s). I haven’t receive one single email even acknowledging that they received my apps. Looks like a number of folks here got the confirmation email. I checked ERAS and it shows that I have applied to the programs. Wonder why I didn’t receive a single email so far.
First off don't worry about matching surgery. Your step score is great for surgery and you will match at a respectable program with no problems.

Second, most places don't even send confirmation emails. I applied to 50+ programs and received 0 confirmations

Reactions: 3 users
Trust me, you don’t want a confirmation email.

It’s the biggest tease in the history of mankind

Reactions: 2 users

Why? Half the people that matched surgery had a lower score than you did. I feel like SDN is such an echo chamber of 250+ steps that we forget that the majority of medical students don’t even have a 230. Also the programs just now have access to our files, give them a second. Most of the people I know IRL have interviews at either their home program or a place they did an away at.

Does your phone not have an email app?
I have VIP emails set to make a specific sound, but I also created filters in gmail to send alerts to my phone and my husband’s phone since I am scrubbed all day on my away rotations. Not all emails are coming from ERAS, either, so I have additional filters set up.

Is there a list somewhere of all of the addresses we should set alerts for?

I just have email on my phone so not sure how forwarding works in this regard? I just VIP’d aamc/ thalamus/ etc and gave the email account a specific ring tone so I know that ring tone = interview
Sorry for my ignorance, but which email address did you set for thalamus?

I don’t think every program even does that. Idk why they do at all, I can see I applied haha

Good board scores, I wish you luck!

submitted yesterday only to realize today that I had not attached my programs to the application... lots of competitive IM programs... >250s on both steps, research year, very high class rank, AOA. I fixed the problem today, 9/16. I'm worried everything I worked so hard for will be distilled in a sea of unopened applications. Am I totally boned out of a ton of interviews?

submitted yesterday only to realize today that I had not attached my programs to the application... lots of competitive IM programs... >250s on both steps, research year, very high class rank, AOA. I fixed the problem today, 9/16. I'm worried everything I worked so hard for will be distilled in a sea of unopened applications. Am I totally boned out of a ton of interviews?
What do you mean you didnt link it

What do you mean you didnt link it

I must have been so out of it, I didn't realize the saved programs hadn't been formally attached. Stupid thing says it was submitted on 9/15, stupid me assigned on 9/16

I must have been so out of it, I hadn't realized the saved programs hadn't been formally attached. Stupid thing says it was submitted on 9/15, stupid me assigned on 9/16
Like you didnt pay yet for them? Just trying to make sure i didnt do the same thing!

I need to leave this thread, too much worrying over pointless things. And from what I understand, most programs just download all the apps on October 1, so as long as it’s before that, you’re good.

Reactions: 4 users
I need to leave this thread, too much worrying over pointless things.

hey, sorry to have bothered you with things you think are pointless. was just wondering if people have heard of invitations not being given after the first day. people keep saying they're basically filled from day 1. feels pretty bad, to be honest. was just asking for thoughts

• Angry
Double nuclear: I also set up the native mail app on iphone to sound a ringtone everytime I get mail.

believe it or not... yeah

any thoughts?
Ive heard for a few it might matter because they filter by the time stamp.... but like i said thay is heresay! I like to think you will have no problem!

hey, sorry to have bothered you with things you think are pointless. was just wondering if people have heard of invitations not being given after the first day. people keep saying they're basically filled from day 1. feels pretty bad, to be honest. was just asking for thoughts

I am certain they aren’t all given out yet, don’t worry too much

Double nuclear: I also set up the native mail app on iphone to sound a ringtone everytime I get mail.

Years ago on a NYC bus there was this HUGE cop who had "mail mother****er" as his text notification. I feel like I need to go that route for this, consequences be damned.

so i think in your case, as long you submitted and applied for the programs on time (if programs use this as a filter), the time you assigned your documents might not be a big deal.
People update their letters, scores, etc, etc. I don't believe majority of programs opened your application yet. They will see that you submitted on time. I do not think they can see or pay special attention to the time you assigned your documents as long as you assigned them all before they open your application.
Edit: just saw you forgot to pay for the programs on time. Hmm, still think you are fine.

Last edited: