MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On call tonight. Delirium has hit
But it’s still June!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
But it’s still June!
It seems like everyone but Psych and EM have started so far. I’m not sure why but I am grateful for these extra days of orientation!

It seems like everyone but Psych and EM have started so far. I’m not sure why but I am grateful for these extra days of orientation!
I have a friend doing EM who is currently doing "EM preschool" where they essentially shadow staff for two weeks with the goal not of taking care of patients but just learning how to use the EMR, how to find equipment, etc. I thought that was a great idea.

And can confirm, am psych and am online orienting still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
But it’s still June!
We started orientation early. Today was my first official day and i got stuck with call the first night lol

tired.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a friend doing EM who is currently doing "EM preschool" where they essentially shadow staff for two weeks with the goal not of taking care of patients but just learning how to use the EMR, how to find equipment, etc. I thought that was a great idea.

I interviewed at a couple programs like that. Yes it would be super helpful lol

I'm peds and I haven't started. I don't think any program at my institution has started. We all start on July 1st. It seems to be more institution related.

Well? How’d it go? If it makes you feel any better, my cat meowed all night and I didn’t get any sleep either.
Im a terrible sleeper and have insomnia most of the time and still managed about two hours of sleep. I had a good night lol

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm scared to death from my 6 on 1 off months of neurology and medicine. Sounds like a terrible time.

I'm scared to death from my 6 on 1 off months of neurology and medicine. Sounds like a terrible time.
6 months on, 1 month off? what fresh hell...

6 months on, 1 month off? what fresh hell...
No no I meant 6 days on 1 day off lol. My bad I forgot the word days.

I realize this is common in a lot of the world, I've just been so spoiled for that to have been a very rare occurrence in medical school, and the way my schedule worked out I'm very front-loaded. I got an easy first rotation, then I go into multiple months of schedule hell as a very front-loaded schedule. On the bright side, my last half of intern year should be a cakewalk.

I realize this is common in a lot of the world, I've just been so spoiled for that to have been a very rare occurrence in medical school, and the way my schedule worked out I'm very front-loaded. I got an easy first rotation, then I go into multiple months of schedule hell as a very front-loaded schedule. On the bright side, my last half of intern year should be a cakewalk.
You guys get a dedicated day off each week? Man, that sounds amazing

You guys get a dedicated day off each week? Man, that sounds amazing
Well I don't have a schedule yet but they claim "1 day off a week averaged across the month per ACGME guidelines". I'm going to assume we'll get a day off a week. Most places either do 6 on 1 off or 12 on 2 off no? I think I'd prefer the later so you get one day to rest and one day to accomplish things but I guess I'll see.
If yall aren't getting 4 days off/month your program is playing with fire with the ACGME

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't have a schedule yet but they claim "1 day off a week averaged across the month per ACGME guidelines". I'm going to assume we'll get a day off a week. Most places either do 6 on 1 off or 12 on 2 off no? I think I'd prefer the later so you get one day to rest and one day to accomplish things but I guess I'll see.
If yall aren't getting 4 days off/month your program is playing with fire with the ACGME
Many programs get creative in order to “adhere” to the 4 days off thing.

I’m really just jealous truthfully. I wish I got a day off every week :(

It depends on my rotation. This month im on call once a week. I only have one weekend call. I have four months of call. Three months of 6 on, 1 ofd scheduling. Overall, it isn’t totally terrible when you really look at it.

I would love that. I feel most of my orientation so far isn’t going to really help once I get started. It’s vague and nonspecific. Would love to have even a couple days of pre-school.

My attending told me to be there and have reviewed the chart of my orientation Wednesday at 8:30.
haven't quite figured out how I’m supposed to know who’s my patients.

My attending told me to be there and have reviewed the chart of my orientation Wednesday at 8:30.
Don't feel bad. All I know is I'm starting on inpatient psych on Wednesday and that's about it.

Usually a more senior resident will assign patients to the interns: will there be other residents on your ward?

Usually a more senior resident will assign patients to the interns: will there be other residents on your ward?
There will be a supervising resident but they won’t be there until 8. Between the interns I think we’re going to divide the patients ourselves the night before so we all have something prepared.

I have a desk, I have a call schedule, I have a pager, and I have a full day off before I start on the first. It’s all really happening!

Reactions: 9 users
I need these sleeping problems to resolve. Im so tired of laying here awake for hours and then being exhausted all day the next day. Every. Single. Day.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I have a desk, I have a call schedule, I have a pager, and I have a full day off before I start on the first. It’s all really happening!
Nice!! I have an orientation zoom conference from 7:30a-4:30p today and then an organized residency hangout tonight at 7p.. Wish I could just have the day off to relax for one last time -__-

Nice!! I have an orientation zoom conference from 7:30a-4:30p today and then an organized residency hangout tonight at 7p.. Wish I could just have the day off to relax for one last time -__-
Yeah that blows, I'm sorry. I had in person orientation from nine til about noon and then we have all today to do whatever.

I start tomorrow at 8 am. God help me.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah that blows, I'm sorry. I had in person orientation from nine til about noon and then we have all today to do whatever.

I start tomorrow at 8 am. God help me.
We had in person orientation M-F last week 8-5p and yesterday so today is almost like a "break" in that we don't have to be on site lol

I start tomorrow at 8a too! Though I'm on alternating backup starting today for the next 2 weeks...really hoping I don't get paged at like 3a tonight telling me I have to cover for someone on wards tomorrow morning :'D

Have not yet started! Lots of residents getting together for happy hours, but I'm just trying to enjoy my last few days hanging out with my old high school friends.
I'm also worried, like do I even remember how to present a patient? It's been 4 months!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Have not yet started! Lots of residents getting together for happy hours, but I'm just trying to enjoy my last few days hanging out with my old high school friends.
I'm also worried, like do I even remember how to present a patient? It's been 4 months!!!!!!!!!
It all comes back easily lol

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Level 3 scheduled! At this point I'm going to be pretty much winging it.

Level 3 scheduled! At this point I'm going to be pretty much winging it.
At this point only one of the pgy-2’s have taken step 3 lol
I feel zero urgency right now

• Wow
It is so surreal! Today is my first day at real work after a week of virtual training and orientation. I haven’t done anything clinical since end of Oct last year. Really nervous. Hope I don’t mess up today!

By the way, what is everyone’s plan for Step 3? Wonder what is the best time to take it. One of the PGY-2 suggested to do it early during intern year. Thoughts?

It is so surreal! Today is my first day at real work after a week of virtual training and orientation. I haven’t done anything clinical since end of Oct last year. Really nervous. Hope I don’t mess up today!

By the way, what is everyone’s plan for Step 3? Wonder what is the best time to take it. One of the PGY-2 suggested to do it early during intern year. Thoughts?
I dont have medicine until late so I'm wondering if I should just do it after. Just don't how I'm gonna study for it though.

Don't worry I'm terrified even after a day. I haven't taken of a patient since March and haven't done psych since last summer.

First day. Had multiple discharges. #Winning
One of my patients didn't want to talk to me and the other was too thought disordered to have a substantive conversation.

Easy peasy.

Literally every single “I am the doctor now” moment happened today. I prescribed things??? I initialed an EKG? I got to tell an attending my plan without a formal presentation? I was asked what to do by staff? Is this real life?

Reactions: 10 users
Literally every single “I am the doctor now” moment happened today. I prescribed things??? I initialed an EKG? I got to tell an attending my plan without a formal presentation? I was asked what to do by staff? Is this real life?
Introducing myself as Dr Ciestar is still the weirdest thing in the universe.

Reactions: 8 users
The prize you get for lots of discharges are lots of new admissions the next day.
and that’s what my senior said. He was basically like welp sorry.
One of my patients didn't want to talk to me and the other was too thought disordered to have a substantive conversation.

Easy peasy.
That’s what I expected my first day on the psych wards to be but noooo.

Realizing that you inherited a panel of patients that now start sending you med refills. #doctorMoment.
I’m excited to actually see these patients in the continuity clinic.

Reactions: 3 users
My life ya’ll.

Exposed to COVID. Now i get to ride this holiday out at home until i get tested lolol

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
My life ya’ll.

Exposed to COVID. Now i get to ride this holiday out at home until i get tested lolol
I’ve kinda been wondering how that process happens. What do they consider exposed? Aren’t all the patients masked and all the doctors wearing Masks/eye protection currently?

I’ve kinda been wondering how that process happens. What do they consider exposed? Aren’t all the patients masked and all the doctors wearing Masks/eye protection currently?
Yeahh it wasnt at the hospital lol
That’s why.

Made my first mistake, didn’t tell the nurses the treatment plan after treatment team. Honestly thought one of them was in the treatment meeting. Whoops.

@Oedipa Maas did your loan consolidation stuff go through. I’m considering doing it this week. I’m realizing that 300-400 a month is a lot of money for me right now. So I’m thinking zero payment (if I can still get it) will be nice.