ERAS/personal statement re failing anatomy during first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2007er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
repost

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2007er said:
Currently a fourth year MS and started working on application. I failed anatomy during first year of medical school. Went to another school for summer remedial anatomy and passed. The summer school didn't issue a formal transcript, but just sent letter to my school saying I had successfully completed their course. I was promoted to MS2. Now that I'm applying for residency, how do I incorporate that into my application, and i needed, my personal statement? Same goes for when I ask or recommendations. Anyone failed a course before and what did you do for your application? thanks.
Why'd you fail, and why won't you fail out of the residency too? That's what they want to know.

Does your deans' letter address the failure & remediation?

pgg said:
Why'd you fail, and why won't you fail out of the residency too? That's what they want to know.

Does your deans' letter address the failure & remediation?

well, just had trouble adjusting to challanges of medschool. dean's letter hasn't been written yet. we have to submit cv/ps to dean's ofice before it's written and i just wanted so input re best approach to addressing issue.

2007er said:
Currently a fourth year MS and started working on application. I failed anatomy during first year of medical school. Went to another school for summer remedial anatomy and passed. The summer school didn't issue a formal transcript, but just sent letter to my school saying I had successfully completed their course. I was promoted to MS2. Now that I'm applying for residency, how do I incorporate that into my application, and i needed, my personal statement? Same goes for when I ask or recommendations. Anyone failed a course before and what did you do for your application? thanks.

Hi there,
Do not address this in your residency personal statement. The Deans letter will address any academic complications. Your residency personal statement should explain why you chose specialty X and why you would be well suited for specialty X.

Your letters of recommendation should come from your clinical preceptors who likely do not know that you failed Gross anatomy. Program directors want to know something about your clinical performance as opposed to your basic science grades. Get your letters from your clinical preceptors, the chair of the department of the specialty of interest and leave it at that.

Your medical school will include a transcript with your ERAS application. If the program directors cannot figure out that you failed from your transcript, do not call attention to it. Since you were promoted after you did your remedial work, this is a "done deal".

Use your PS to highlight your interest in your prospective speciality.
Get recommendation letters from your third year attending preceptors.
Allow your Dean to address your academics.

njbmd :)

Absolutely do not address it in your personal statement.

Are you sure it is even reflected on your transcript? Perhaps the pass in the summer course just replaces it completely on your medical school transcript.