ERAS publication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jqueb29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the publications section, I am trying to list a poster presentation. However, this particular poster presentation is being given by the resident who I worked on the poster with and not by myself. I am trying to figure out where to write a notice essentially saying "hey i did a lot of the work on this thing that was presented, it just wasn't presented by me". However, there's not really anywhere to do that. The only place where you can write much text is in the poster title, and obviously this is not part of the title. I'm thinking that in the Author/Presenter section I'll just write "Resident Name (presenter and author) & My Name (author)". Is this the best way to make this clarification?

Note before answering please: I know some people say not to list presentations you didn't personally give and I vehemently disagree with that, so please let's stay on topic

Members don't see this ad.

On the publications section, I am trying to list a poster presentation. However, this particular poster presentation is being given by the resident who I worked on the poster with and not by myself. I am trying to figure out where to write a notice essentially saying "hey i did a lot of the work on this thing that was presented, it just wasn't presented by me". However, there's not really anywhere to do that. The only place where you can write much text is in the poster title, and obviously this is not part of the title. I'm thinking that in the Author/Presenter section I'll just write "Resident Name (presenter and author) & My Name (author)". Is this the best way to make this clarification?

Note before answering please: I know some people say not to list presentations you didn't personally give and I vehemently disagree with that, so please let's stay on topic

bump! I'm in the same boat. It seems sort of sad that as a second author who couldn't go to the conference due to mandatory classes, etc, I can't or shouldn't include this under poster presentations...

Reactions: 1 user
bump! I'm in the same boat. It seems sort of sad that as a second author who couldn't go to the conference due to mandatory classes, etc, I can't or shouldn't include this under poster presentations...

I'm absolutely including mine. Some dorks tell you not to, but more people than not have said to do so from what I've seen elsewhere. Unless anybody has a better suggestion, I'm just doing the "Resident Name (presenter and author) & My Name (author)" thing.

EDIT: Almost 2 years of being a member and my thread is your first post. I think this is worthy of putting in ERAS too lol

Can you put explaining USMLE questions to others on SDN or any other website as a volunteer experience?

Can you put explaining USMLE questions to others on SDN or any other website as a volunteer experience?

Using advanced technology, tutored colleagues in wide range of medical topics.

Reactions: 1 users
Using advanced technology, tutored colleagues in wide range of medical topics.
Thanks.
I also tutored couple of colleagues at a local library.
Should I put "I tutored colleagues on wide range of medical topics in person and online". How does that sound? Can I mention SDN under Organisation?
I was one of the authors for FA2017. How and where should I put that in my application?
Can't put it under Volunteer experience since I got paid for it.

Last edited:
I was one of the authors for FA2017. How and where should I put that in my application?
If you got paid for it, then it's a job!

Thanks.
I also tutored couple of colleagues at a local library.
Should I put "I tutored colleagues on wide range of medical topics in person and online". How does that sound? Can I mention SDN under Organisation?

I thought you were kidding. Don't put SDN, it's an anonymous online forum and you currently have 17 posts - maybe if you were a moderator or something, but even then it's a stretch in my opinion...

Reactions: 1 users
If you got paid for it, then it's a job!
Thanks @Amygdarya
Appreciate your help.
Where should I put the Clinical observership ?
Should I put it under Work experience since it says " Clinical and Teaching experience should be treated as Work experiences." and "Include all unpaid extra-curricular activities and committees you have served on as Volunteer experiences."

I thought you were kidding. Don't put SDN, it's an anonymous online forum and you currently have 17 posts - maybe if you were a moderator or something, but even then it's a stretch in my opinion...
Thanks @ AdmiralChz
I am running on autopilot and too anxious to be kidding. I appreciate any help I can get.

I did number of online CMEs over the years but don't know where to put them in my ERAS application?
Please help.

Last edited:
I did number of online CMEs over the years but don't know where to put them in my ERAS application?
Please help.
Nowhere. You're not a physician so you can't do CME.

You might as well list the number of times you visited redtube in the last 4 years as it's probably more relevant.

Nowhere. You're not a physician so you can't do CME.
Actually I am, therefore I can and I did and it's very clear from the question I posted.
Please refrain from posting non-answers if you have nothing useful to contribute.
Thank you.

Actually I am, therefore I can and I did and it's very clear from the question I posted.
Please refrain from posting non-answers if you have nothing useful to contribute.
Thank you.

This answer applies to MOST people filling out the ERAS, since most are fourth year med students or final year residents. Besides, I'm fairly certain that if you aren't licensed, and you aren't board certified (which is highly likely if you are applying for residency, less likely if you are applying for fellowship), then your CME means nothing because it's not applicable to those things.

I'm sure you can list it under volunteer activities, but I'm not sure anyone will really care.

This answer applies to MOST people filling out the ERAS, since most are fourth year med students or final year residents. Besides, I'm fairly certain that if you aren't licensed, and you aren't board certified (which is highly likely if you are applying for residency, less likely if you are applying for fellowship), then your CME means nothing because it's not applicable to those things.

I'm sure you can list it under volunteer activities, but I'm not sure anyone will really care.
You are right about all that.
I am just trying to fill some gaps in my application to show that I was very much in touch with medicine by doing CMEs.
Thank you very much for your answer.

Thank you.
Nowhere in this thread do you state that you're a physician licensed to practice medicine in the US. Your status is "non-student".

In any event, CME goes nowhere in ERAS.

Nowhere in this thread do you state that you're a physician licensed to practice medicine in the US. Your status is "non-student".
In any event, CME goes nowhere in ERAS.
I apologize for the confusion.
Now I understand that on this forum MOST people filling out the ERAS are fourth year med students or final year residents.
I'm an IMG (physician) NOT licensed to practice medicine in the US.

I apologize for the confusion.
Now I understand that on this forum MOST people filling out the ERAS are fourth year med students or final year residents.
I'm an IMG (physician) NOT licensed to practice medicine in the US.
If you're not licensed to practice medicine then you don't do CME. IMG, AMG or DO.