ERAS "Research Experiences" - Do Systematic Reviews +/- Meta-analysis count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dapik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is a question I haven't been able to find much clarity on. Should we put down systematic reviews with meta-analysis down under "research experiences" section of ERAS? What about systematic reviews without meta-analysis?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get published? If so, then yes it's a research experience.

Hmm, I'm not sure that publishing is a sufficient criteria for research. For example, I think most people would agree description of case reports do not belong in that category.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, I'm not sure that publishing is a sufficient criteria for research. For example, I think most people would agree description of case reports do not belong in that category.

This is entirely incorrect. Case reports that are accepted and published count as research. If you don't play the game you gonna lose the game.

You still have to do a lit search for case reports. You still have to attempt to go through the publication process. You’re still contributing to medical knowledge. Sure, it’s not as good as a randomized control trial, but it’s not worthless.

This is interesting, my admin advised (questionable reliability) us specifically not to put case reports into the research experiences section.

A separate question - is publishing a necessary condition to put something down as a research experience? What if the case report, systematic review, or meta analysis hasn't been published yet but has been presented at a conference or is in the submission process?

Last edited:
To be fair, if you have a bunch of systematic reviews or meta's on your ERAS app, you probably don't want to put a bunch of case reports on there also. If you make the list too long, people will miss the important parts. This isn't an official CV, you don't have to list everything if you don't want to. Some people do, though.

To be fair, if you have a bunch of systematic reviews or meta's on your ERAS app, you probably don't want to put a bunch of case reports on there also. If you make the list too long, people will miss the important parts. This isn't an official CV, you don't have to list everything if you don't want to. Some people do, though.

That's a really good point. Dont want it to turn into a laundry list of low impact mentions. Thanks for the help folks!

This is interesting, my admin advised (questionable reliability) us specifically not to put case reports into the research experiences section.

A separate question - is publishing a necessary condition to put something down as a research experience? What if the case report, systematic review, or meta analysis hasn't been published yet but has been presented at a conference or is in the submission process?

There is a place to put presentations, which is where you would put something presented at a conference.

I can’t remember exactly how ERAS is set up, but there may be an option for ‘Submitted’ under publications, but I’m not 100% sure. If not, just bring it up at your interviews.