ERAS/scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , and all that perfunctory greetings. First time to SDN.

I applied to ERAS and did not get any interviews. So I have not done anything further. I am a FMG and my USMLE's were so/so - since someone will want to know why I probably did not get an interview.

Anyway - I want to scramble. What do I need to do and is it too late to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway - I want to scramble. What do I need to do and is it too late to do it?

You have to register for the Match (through NRMP, not ERAS). I don't know if it's required but you're best off if you also put in a rank list with 1 program on it (doesn't matter which program...you could list Hopkins Neurosurgery for all it's going to matter) to ensure that you go unmatched. You'll then have access to the unfilled programs list and the scramble.

Other advice to is to make sure you have a very generic PS and some generic LORs ("cmon will be a good physician") ready to go since you'll be scrambling for a few unfilled IM and FM programs and a whole truckload of dead-end surgical prelim spots.

I don't know if it's required but you're best off if you also put in a rank list with 1 program on it.

This is a common misconception. From the NRMP site:

5. You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list.

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but did not certify a rank order list prior to the rank order list certification deadline. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

This is from this page, where it explains the possible messages you will see on the Monday of match week. As clearly stated here, anyone not submitting a list at all will have full access to the scramble list.

This is a common misconception. From the NRMP site:

This is from this page, where it explains the possible messages you will see on the Monday of match week. As clearly stated here, anyone not submitting a list at all will have full access to the scramble list.

Thanks for the clarification.

Is using commercial services (Electronic Residency,..etc) to send scramble emails with url to my info page going to be beneficial for me, also those commercial services say that they can send emails with the link for my info a couple of weeks before the scramble day to all residency programs in US for IM/FM for instance. I am nor sure if this is not Match violation for this years match.

Is using commercial services (Electronic Residency,..etc) to send scramble emails with url to my info page going to be beneficial for me, also those commercial services say that they can send emails with the link for my info a couple of weeks before the scramble day to all residency programs in US for IM/FM for instance. I am nor sure if this is not Match violation for this years match.

The answer is the same as it was when you asked this identical question here.