ERAS - Sequence of Application Download

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD'05

Money Hungry Pervert
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that someone with experience and knowledge of the application process could help me suppress my growing paranoia.

I am glued to ADTS, checking every 15 minutes whether a program downloads my application and then my CAF and then my photo and then my PS. And if they download my PS, do they download my USMLE transcript. If they don't download my USMLE transcript, does that mean that they are not interested in me because my personal statement SUCKS or because they have 20,000 other applications to wade through?!

Please help me, the people at my school who work with ERAS will not speak to me because they sense my worsening psychosis.

Thank you for any help that you might provide, I must get back to checking ADTS ... :oops: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

The download process is completely random and does not reflect any judgement the program has made about you. Chill. ADTS is meant to be used when a program says "Oh, we don't have that yet" so you can say "You downloaded it on ...," not to see if programs want you.

You should only be worried if they downloaded your photo, but then nothing else. Otherwise, kick back, this is a long process. :scared: +pity+

Thanks. So far my picture hasn't scared off any programs (knock on wood) :laugh:

Officially, they are not able to see the photo before sending out an invitation. I don't see how ERAS could possibly enforce that, though.

I think most programs have software that downloads apps automatically. It's not like there's someone sitting in front of a comp all day manually downloading every document.... talk about a horrible job! Therefore, I wouldn't worry about which programs have downloaded what... it doesn't mean anything. And everyone has their own timeline.

You need to CHILL OUT!!! ;)

I still have a few programs that haven't dowloaded a single thing. +pissed+

Blade28 said:
A few? I have around 15 of those kinds of programs. :(

haha...yeah, but you applied to 70+ programs there, buddy :p

BellKicker said:
Officially, they are not able to see the photo before sending out an invitation. I don't see how ERAS could possibly enforce that, though.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that programs follow that. Several programs have downloaded my photo, but I have yet to hear from anyone.

Everyone's downloaded my photo even those who have not offered me a interview. Are you sure that's a rule?

I was wondering that about the photos as well (considering I haven't submitted a photo yet as I haven't had time to get one taken, I was wondering if it mattered since *technically* they can't get it until they offer you an interview). It DEFINITELY states in ERAS rules that the photos are not available until the interview has been offered...so how they can download them already is unclear. :confused:

Almost every program has downloaded my stuff all at the same time...otherwise it was profile+CAF, then PS+USMLE transcripts the next day or two. I don't have my photo or school transcripts uploaded yet (and some of my letters are also still pending *sigh*).

And Blade, since you're running at >75% downloaded, I wouldn't be too worried ;) You make me feel super-paranoid about only applying to ~25 programs. All but one in my initial batch of programs have been downloaded, but some of the later programs I've added still haven't downloaded as of yet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessing over which programs have downloaded what so far...as one of my interns said, "med students collectively are some of the most anal-retentive, OCD personalities out there....why they give us access to seeing exactly what programs are doing with our information is like adding fuel to the fire and giving us license to obsess endlessly over every little thing".

Smurfette said:
And Blade, since you're running at >75% downloaded, I wouldn't be too worried ;) You make me feel super-paranoid about only applying to ~25 programs. All but one in my initial batch of programs have been downloaded, but some of the later programs I've added still haven't downloaded as of yet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessing over which programs have downloaded what so far...as one of my interns said, "med students collectively are some of the most anal-retentive, OCD personalities out there....why they give us access to seeing exactly what programs are doing with our information is like adding fuel to the fire and giving us license to obsess endlessly over every little thing".

No, don't be paranoid! Don't let my neurotic tendencies worry you. :)

We are all most definitely anal and OCD. :thumbup:

one program i applied to said they needed a photo before they would consider me for an interview

friendlyfriend said:
one program i applied to said they needed a photo before they would consider me for an interview

Did you get the interview after sending the photo?

MD'05 said:
I was hoping that someone with experience and knowledge of the application process could help me suppress my growing paranoia.

I am glued to ADTS, checking every 15 minutes whether a program downloads my application and then my CAF and then my photo and then my PS. And if they download my PS, do they download my USMLE transcript. If they don't download my USMLE transcript, does that mean that they are not interested in me because my personal statement SUCKS or because they have 20,000 other applications to wade through?!

Please help me, the people at my school who work with ERAS will not speak to me because they sense my worsening psychosis.

Thank you for any help that you might provide, I must get back to checking ADTS ... :oops: :scared:

I understand that Paxil can be quite effective for obsessive compulsive disorder.

Just got my photos taken yesterday, submitted and uploaded today. Some programs have already downloaded it, though they're not supposed to view it before offering interviews, right?

Weird...

Blade28 said:
Just got my photos taken yesterday, submitted and uploaded today. Some programs have already downloaded it, though they're not supposed to view it before offering interviews, right?

Weird...

I agree, apparently none of the programs I applied to are following that rule. All have downloaded my photo and I still have no interview.

Many programs have downloaded everything except Dean's Letter for me.
What's going on? Did your Dean's Letter get downloaded by the program yet? Thanks.

Vwvvwvw said:
What's going on? Did your Dean's Letter get downloaded by the program yet? Thanks.

At our school, the Dean's letters does not get uploaded until November 1st (definitely not before then). I'm not sure if this is a policy followed by all the med schools but I have a hunch that it is.

As a former undergrad recruiter/admissions director, the whole concept of ERAS download tracking is fascinating to me.

I hate to add to people's neuroses, but is the CAF download significant? In the undergrad world we could download all electronic applications, then apply a filter and eliminate applications not worth considering based on test scores. To the applicant, they saw their application was downloaded. To us, we weren't even considering them for admission. (We did "courteously" send them a deny letter rather than let them hang in limbo.)

I wonder if residency programs have this filter option, and if so, if they filter BEFORE or AFTER downloading apps. :confused:

If programs can download all CAFs, all LORs, etc. with a click of a button, then residency applicants are falsely getting their hopes up. :eek:

I hate to throw that in, but it's worth considering.

Vwvvwvw said:

ERAS doesn't release it until November 1st no matter when your school uploads it.

So there's nothing to worry about.

freelancewriter said:
As a former undergrad recruiter/admissions director, the whole concept of ERAS download tracking is fascinating to me.

I hate to add to people's neuroses, but is the CAF download significant? In the undergrad world we could download all electronic applications, then apply a filter and eliminate applications not worth considering based on test scores. To the applicant, they saw their application was downloaded. To us, we weren't even considering them for admission. (We did "courteously" send them a deny letter rather than let them hang in limbo.)

I wonder if residency programs have this filter option, and if so, if they filter BEFORE or AFTER downloading apps. :confused:

If programs can download all CAFs, all LORs, etc. with a click of a button, then residency applicants are falsely getting their hopes up. :eek:

I hate to throw that in, but it's worth considering.

From what I've heard, they do indeed have such filters. Not just for scores but for other things like IMG or AOA status. Honeslt, though, I think that's something most applicants are aware of. Some programs have websites that state they want about 85 on both usmle steps before they will consider an application, so people know there's a fair amount of screening going on.

I had imagined that more programs would start out by downloading the usmle transcript but that hasn't been the case. That leads me to believe the programs download everything, screen for scores etc., and then print out the applications that make it through the filter.

Vwvvwvw said:

Dean's Letter doesn't go out until November 1st (for ALL schools). Has yours been written already?

Blade28 said:
Dean's Letter doesn't go out until November 1st (for ALL schools). Has yours been written already?

If this is true, why does ERAS have my Dean's Letter listed as having been uploaded and available?

The correspondences I have thus far received from programs list the Dean's Letter as one of their requisites before reviewing my application. So if the whole Nov. 1 thing is true, I guess I'll be waiting for awhile.

InductionAgent said:
If this is true, why does ERAS have my Dean's Letter listed as having been uploaded and available?

Because your school has already uploaded the letter. It won't be released by ERAS until Nov 1st, however. This is one of ERAS's rules to keep everything on a timeline, I guess. There are many programs that don't offer interviews until the app is complete (including the DL), so we won't hear from them for a while.

freelancewriter said:

If you are not a medical student and you are not a program director, why are you here? Please go away and let me enjoy the fantasy of being invited for interview. Thank you. :mad: