Error in AAMC 4 Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbuster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there is an error in this AAMC 4 biology question:

Basically, the question asks about compensation mechanism for fever in septic shock. My problem with this question is that it doesn't mention compensation to what, fever itself or the septic shock. The whole passage is about causes (hypotension) and prevention of septic shock so it is reasonable to assume compensation to septic shock. However, dilation of capillary bed, which is the right answer, actually makes the matter worse as it further reduces the blood pressure but it does compensate for fever as it increases heat loss. I picked decreased fluid loss b/c that's the only choice that increases blood pressure.

For those who have taken MCAT, how likely is it to come across such questions in the real thing? I have seen several other similar questions that are equally confusing. These questions are pretty damaging to the overall score if you're trying to score really high as each missed question is one lost point in 15-12 score range.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
However, dilation of capillary bed actually makes the matter worse as it further reduces the blood pressure

Dilation of the capillary beds, I don't think, leads to noticeable reduction in BP. That would imply capillary bed dilation = vasodilation.

I think there is an error in this AAMC 4 biology question:

Basically, the question asks about compensation mechanism for fever in septic shock. My problem with this question is that it doesn't mention compensation to what, fever itself or the septic shock. The whole passage is about causes (hypotension) and prevention of septic shock so it is reasonable to assume compensation to septic shock. However, dilation of capillary bed, which is the right answer, actually makes the matter worse as it further reduces the blood pressure but it does compensate for fever as it increases heat loss. I picked decreased fluid loss b/c that's the only choice that increases blood pressure.

For those who have taken MCAT, how likely is it to come across such questions in the real thing? I have seen several other similar questions that are equally confusing. These questions are pretty damaging to the overall score if you're trying to score really high as each missed question is one lost point in 15-12 score range.

Based on what you said (I haven't taken AAMC 4 so I don't know the exact phrasing of the question) it's for the fever. Read the questions carefully, but you have to be sure to not read too much into them as you may confuse yourself or make things more complicated than they actually are.