erythroblastosis fetalis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATLATLATL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need a decent breakdown of it....it always GETS MEEEEEE thanks..baby stepsss hehe

Members don't see this ad.

if i remember right...if the mother is rh- and the fetus is rh+...the first pregnancy will result in the antibodies against rh being formulated in the mother. the first fetus will survive. if the mother gets pregnant again with an rh+ fetus...it will not survive. Do not quote me on this though. I havent thought about that since I took my DAT over 1.5 yrs ago

yeah thats right but i dont think subsequent rh+ fetus death is guaranteed. There is just a chance of it happening

Yes, that is true. The baby will not always die though, but there is a chance. If your blood does contain the protein, your blood is said to be Rh+. If your blood does not contain the protein, your blood is said to be Rh-. Sometimes, a baby will inherit an Rh+ blood type from its father while the mother has an Rh- blood type. This is when the baby's life could be in danger if the mother has Rh- blood because the negative blood attacks the baby's Rh+ blood. If this happens, an exchange transfusion may save the baby's life. The baby's blood can be exchanged for new blood that matches the mother's. I have also heard the mother's blood only attacks the baby blood 13% of time, but I don't know how accurate it is. But if a Rh- woman who has been exposed to Rh+ cells in her first pregnancy gets pregnant again, her body "remembers," and starts producing antibodies when exposed again to Rh+ cells. These antibodies can cross the placenta and attack the fetus's RBC. Also, if this is the case, during a woman's second pregnancy she would be given shots of Rhogam at 28 weeks and after the delivery to prevent mixing of the blood.

Hope this is helpful!

Let me just say that having this condition will NOT always lead to death. How do I know? I was a baby that had this Rh factor disease. Granted, I did have to undergo a complete blood transfusion a few months after birth, but it's not a death sentence. For those that catch this condition late, it usually leads to mental ******ation. Obviously, now a days, there are tests and such and is caught much earlier.

This disease usually manifests itself in the 2nd pregnancy. Mother is -, first baby is +. Mother makes antibodies to the +. 2nd baby comes along and is also +. mother has ab's to + and starts attack 2nd baby. blood transfusion is to the baby's blood type, not mother's blood type (i am A+ and continue to be A+, while my mother is O-).... basically what MAK1186 said.