1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

ESL-er, how to improve verbal?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Lisochka, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am an English Second Language person (I have been in the US for 3 years)
    what would you recommend to improve my verbal, because I have a very low level of English (I communicate just fine, but when I looked through couple passages from the MCAT- I could not understand what they even were about!)
    O man!
    Guys, what to do?
    I did take English 111 in college- waist of time! Did not improve my vocabulary a bit! It just teaches how to write essays (By the way, is there an essay you have to write on the MCAT?)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. albaniandoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, although I have been in the US for 7 years, I am dealing with this problem myself to some degree. From my experience the best advice I could give you is to shut off the TV and read. I have been reading quite a bit, since I attended college here, but otherwise I read other stuff like books and magazines. What has helped me a lot when I first got here was reading books that I had previously read in my own language ( you know classics, Sheakspeare, Balzak, Tolstoi etc).
    On top of that practice, practice with the MCAT verbal stuff. I got a 6 the first time I took the diagnostic this summer and just this week I got a 10 with practice exams. I hope to improve by at least another two points by April. I can honestly tell you that I felt like I was never going to understand the material in the begining and I always thought of the verbal as my nightmare for the MCAT. I became very frustrated with the scores but persistence paid off. I can finally see the light (or at least some of it). Don't give up.

Good luck
    Off to do some Acid-Bases and Electrochemistry now.

4. albaniandoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    By the way, there are college reading classes too. When I took the placement test, my reading comprehension was below average so I had to take a non-credit class of reading with lab. It helped a lot, besides that there was a REA 1105 College reading class where I went. I never took it, but I heard that it was beneficial to students.

5. nouveau007

nouveau007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you want to improve your vocabulary, there is a set of vocabulary that people in university are expected to know (these words appear on the SAT). If you want to get hold of those words, I know that Princeton Review provides them online for free: www.princetonreview.com/college/research/wdj.asp?wordType=2
    You get a word per day and this is how you can slowly expand your vocabulary and build confidence.

My next advice would be do a lot of critical reading and practice, practice, practice.

Some links related to critical reading:
    http://www.criticalreading.com/critical_reading.htm
    http://www.salisbury.edu/students/counseling/New/7_critical_reading_strategies.htm

Good luck :)

6. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

thanks a lot for your answers, guys!

hey, nouveau007, what a great links you gave me!
    Especially I like the prinstonreview words!
    I have noticed you recommend for the MCAT SAT words. Why?
    What about GRE, bussiness, law and medical words?
    Thanks a lot!

7. nouveau007

nouveau007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey Lisochka,
    Word du jour gives you a new word each day under differente categories.
    SAT -> words for the SAT exam in the US (college admission). These are must-know words for university/college students.
    GRE -> words for graduate or professional school admission.
    Bussiness, Law, Medical -> jargon specific to those fields.

Although you are taking the MCAT, Medical word du jour isn't likely to improve your verbal score ;) Once again, vocabulary is a small share of the MCAT verbal, you should concentrate on critical reading.

Good luck :thumbup:

8. sweetstuff25

7+ Year Member

i like u're link on critical reading. thx.

9. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

thank you guys, a lot!