Essay Edge....Is it Worth it????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the fees for the Editing Service from Essay edge.

601 - 900 words $139.95
901 - 1200 words $159.95

Before I drop $160 I thought it would be nice to get some feedback from the forum. If it is a good service then it is worth the money to me.

Is it Worth it????

Members don't see this ad.

I was very happy with EssayEdge. If you can afford it, and do not have the time to revise your essay umpteen times I think you should go for it. Keep in mind that you could still probably get the same help from an english professor free of charge.

Is there anybody that has been around the block that wouldn't mind critiquing my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definently suggest getting an English teacher to look at it. My bud is an English teacher and he was a great help, grammatically, and helping to focus. 1000 words is nothing - make them count. It was nice being able to discuss it with an actual person and throw ideas around. I found this a very good process for espousing original and creative thought. Just remember, if you use someone that knows you, your true audience is someone who does not, so be clear as possible. :thumbup:

yeah i'd have to say essay edge was definitely worth it, it really made my essay sound the way i wanted it to but wasn't able to on my own..have their prices gone up? i seem to remember it only being 100 when i did mine..im probably wrong though

Dish out the money and do it. Aside from helping with the grammar, they definitely make your essay sound a whole lot better. I would recommend it.

I'm gonna have to disagree with those who say to dish out the money. I did it and it was the biggest waste of $200. I guess it's just depends on if your person is good or not. Mine seemed as though he didn't care and didn't put much effort. I mean, honestly it did make my paper better than before, but I feel I would have gotten the same type of editing at my university writing center. What really disappointed me was that my writer didn't seemed to have that type of attitude where he'll "do whatever it takes" to make my paper the absolute best it can be. I'm not even going to use the personal statement and decided to re-write it all together. This time I won't be using essayedge. Just my 2 cents....... :rolleyes:

I was very happy with the finished product I recieved by using essayedge, and would definately use it again.

I don't have any experience with EssayEdge, but I used EssayRX. It was about 75 bucks for my 900 words or something. They did a wonderful job I think. These essay editing companies really make your statement sound better. They made mine much more fluid. It's a good investment I think.

I used essayedge like 5 times in this application cycle for the AADSAS essay and my secondaries. I think it is well worth it. Search the forum for their discount code, that'll save you 20% more.

Think about it this way, if you got this far, what's another couple hundred dollars? If the couple hundred of dollars can potentially get you into a state school (which is true for my case), then it is way worth it in the long run.

No matter how much time you spent proofreading your essay, it will not be the same as some English/Literature major who read and write everyday.

Would an essay edge editor have his teeth taken care of by another essay edge editor?

Would a pre-dental student have his essay proof-reading taken care of by another pre-dental student?

MitchSE-R said:
yeah i'd have to say essay edge was definitely worth it, it really made my essay sound the way i wanted it to but wasn't able to on my own..have their prices gone up? i seem to remember it only being 100 when i did mine..im probably wrong though

Hey Mitch!

So you've decided on NYU? How come the 99% as oppose to the 100%?

I'm not at all trying to make anyone mad. I was just curious, do dental schools consider that "cheating" as a professor in college would? I'm only asking because I would consider using essay edge myself if it isn't considered "cheating". (I also don't think anything wrong of anyone who did use it :)) Also, do you think that DS's can tell who probably used it and who didn't?

I have a degree in English, and have "been around the block" so to speak. I also have helped many people with reviews of their essay. My fees are much lower than Essay Edge, so drop me a PM if you are interested.

TeddieBelle said:
Also, do you think that DS's can tell who probably used it and who didn't?

Doubtful, unless they have another sample of writing to compare it to.

Many of your classmates will be excellent writers. I've helped ~50 people in the last two years with their statements, and I've seen some *really* great ones. I've also seen some really poor ones.

Take advantage of your school's writing center. It's free.

They won't edit it for you but they will be happy to help you. You will have to use the old 'noodle' but it will be YOUR personal statement.

Is it just me or is there something seriouly wrong with "paying OTHERS to write your PERSONAL STATEMENT for you"?

Are you telling me you can't set aside time to write and edit your PS?

This thread is just sad if not pathetic.

ItsGavinC said:
I have a degree in English, and have "been around the block" so to speak. I also have helped many people with reviews of their essay. My fees are much lower than Essay Edge, so drop me a PM if you are interested.

Gavin,

Just pm'd you.

Underdawg

Pikeyman said:
Is it just me or is there something seriouly wrong with "paying OTHERS to write your PERSONAL STATEMENT for you"?

Are you telling me you can't set aside time to write and edit your PS?

This thread is just sad if not pathetic.

I don't think it is wrong, and I'll explain my thinking. I clearly see TWO components to the personal statement.

1) is the story and information that the candidate wishes to convey. This is uniquely personal, and unless it is a blatant lie, it will continue to be personal no matter who reads or polishes the essay.

2) the writing style of the essay. This is by-and-large independent of the essay content, but certainly carries weight. The style (grammar, spelling, organization) is what I help students with. To sum: the message and content is theirs, I assist with the delivery. The final say is ALWAYS theirs.

On your other points, some people have such a problem with wording, phrasing, and writing in general that their essays do NOT get better with time. Unless somebody works with them on specific details they are apt to get frustrated and submit what amounts to a very weak rough draft.

ItsGavinC said:
On your other points, some people have such a problem with wording, phrasing, and writing in general that their essays do NOT get better with time. Unless somebody works with them on specific details they are apt to get frustrated and submit what amounts to a very weak rough draft.
I was that exact case throughout high school (always, B's on all my essays) but I decided to work at it someday and my essays have gotten better with time (all A's) since then.

I don't think you are trying to convey any kind of improvement is impossible but it certainly sounds bleak for those that have been feeling that way for some time.

I'm sure you wouldn't pay others to glitter your English or History term papers with all the right delieveries you couldn't figure out on your own. Then, why start with your PS?

I know, for a lot of the essays you write for classes, you use a different writing style than the one you'd use on your PS but I don't think that would matter much.

Hey, what do I know? I'm just babbling.

My apologies to those who were offended by my choice of word ("pathetic").

Pikeyman said:
I'm sure you wouldn't pay others to glitter your English or History term papers with all the right delieveries you couldn't figure out on your own. Then, why start with your PS?

Good post, I agree with much of what you've said. In response to the above quote, many feel that a dental PS carries much more weight than a history or english term paper.

And most schools DO have a writing center to help students edit their papers, or to suggest ideas. When it comes to pre-dental essays, I think working with somebody who has been through the process may have a bit of added benefit as well.