Essay Edge vs Essay Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo352

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone make any recommendations for either?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I would've guessed that these services are a rip-off. Someone is already reading my PS and I agree it's probably going to be better than someone editing at one of these places. I was just making sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea but most ppl on SDN arn't professional writers/english majors at Harvard (not that I've ever used the service)

i believe what you pay essayedge and stuff is for their writing style/grammar and so on. granted content is whats most important. but a good piece needs some brush up.

friends of mine who have either gotten many interviews or acceptance have recommended essayedge.. saying that they feel it really helped with their PS overall.

ofcourse theres no way to find out the actual impact.. as with all the other aspects of the application.. so...

If you know about SDN and are still trying to pay someone to edit your essays, you're nuts. Those services are a huge rip anyway, and the people in the personal statement readers list will probably do a better job editing for you.

+1

yea but most ppl on SDN arn't professional writers/english majors at Harvard (not that I've ever used the service)

for what it's worth, my roommate in college used a paid service and found it essentially worthless. the people that have read my PS on SDN have given me awesome feedback, and their comments were very similar to those of an adcom that read it as well.

Most of the professional English majors don't know what goes into a good med school personal statement, not to mention that being an English major or a professional writer doesn't make you a good writer. Read the newspaper some time. I'm not saying that everyone on the PS readers list is a crack editor, but I'd give some (perhaps many) of them on equal odds against any Harvard English major in terms of pure editing skill. It's knowing what goes into a PS that puts our guys over the top. The fact that it's free here and a couple hundred dollars there doesn't hurt either. ;)

Most of the professional English majors don't know what goes into a good med school personal statement, not to mention that being an English major or a professional writer doesn't make you a good writer. Read the newspaper some time. I'm not saying that everyone on the PS readers list is a crack editor, but I'd give some (perhaps many) of them on equal odds against any Harvard English major in terms of pure editing skill. It's knowing what goes into a PS that puts our guys over the top. The fact that it's free here and a couple hundred dollars there doesn't hurt either. ;)
+1

The best editors are people who have gotten into medical school successfully because that usually means their essay was at least decent.

English majors at Harvard do not understand what a good "medical" school essay should be like.

anyone had experience with mededit?