essay help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el799

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to an MD/phd program where I have to write an essay describing my career goals in 200-250 words and am having a really hard time trying to figure out how to start/ how specific i should be any advice appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a sense of where you want to take your career? For example, you may ultimately want to practice academic medicine, which would give you an opportunity to see patients in a clinical setting, conduct research to help the patients you see, and teach the next generation of lifelong learners. You may want to focus purely on research because you believe that is where you will have the greatest beneficial impact on the largest number of people. Or you may wish to do something else altogether. I would think deeply about where you want to be one year from now, five years from now, and beyond. I would then relate my prior clinical, research, classroom and life experiences to that goal--trying to show, rather than tell, the reader how and why that came to be your goal.

Do you have a sense of where you want to take your career? For example, you may ultimately want to practice academic medicine, which would give you an opportunity to see patients in a clinical setting, conduct research to help the patients you see, and teach the next generation of lifelong learners. You may want to focus purely on research because you believe that is where you will have the greatest beneficial impact on the largest number of people. Or you may wish to do something else altogether. I would think deeply about where you want to be one year from now, five years from now, and beyond. I would then relate my prior clinical, research, classroom and life experiences to that goal--trying to show, rather than tell, the reader how and why that came to be your goal.
yes my ultimate goal is academic medicine with about a 60/40 split between research and clinical... Ultimately I want to be able to research to hopefully contribute to science that may lead to a cure for many while making a difference in individuals lives day to day. I just don't know if i should talk about what i want to research/ if what i just said is too cheesy

edit: the 200 word limit is also killing me... everything i write is either way too long or way too short

Last edited: