Essay Typo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Georgey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bored on a Saturday afternoon I decided to peruse my AMCAS app. Much to my embarrassment I noticed a pretty bad typo in the last paragraph of my Practice Vision essay--a word was left out. I'm pretty sure this is my fault and not AMCAS', but at this point who knows? I have started mass mailing all the schools to which I applied, but I fear they may not accept my revised versions. Does anyone know what impact my error will have on my applications? Could some schools conceivably throw out my app based on this alone? I'm starting to wonder this because about ten non-Texas schools have had my completed app for some time now and I have heard nothing from them, whereas the Texas schools, which don't have my practive vision essay (their app doesn't ask for it), have been contacting me for interviews. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. One day I was also bored out of my mind and started to read my AMCAS essay I send the UC schools (I slightly modifed it for the UCs) and I also left out a word. The word I left out was "of" so the sentence kinda doesn't make sense. I thought of contacting the schools, but they might think I'm super anal.

hi guys,
dont worry! i'm very sure it won't be a big deal. 1 typo will not do you in, for sure.

i found a typo as well, and called one school about it. they laughed and said, "you know, it's rare we find an essay without 1 or 2 little errors in it. it won't reflect badly on your application."

the reason i'm staying away from my amcas essays now is that i'm sure i'll find one or two more!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two typos and one wrong word in my Rush secondary. I think that many people have typos, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Don't worry about the typo. The med schools won't care unless there are a huge amount of typos.

I actually have a funny thing to add to this.
I emailed our local med school about another matter and I told the admissions lady I hope AMCAS wasn't giving her an ulcer. I even put a smiley face after this sentance.

Upon reading her reply to me I happened to look at what I had written. Much to my embaressment I had written...

" I sure hope the AMCAS disaster is giving you an ulcer. :)"

How is that for a typo to an admissions director? I emailed her back and said how sorry I was. She emailed me back and said she knew what I had meant to say.

Don't sweat your error.
;)

This is a very encouraging thread! I started to develop sweaty palms two weeks ago because I revisited my UCONN secondary...UCONN, my state school, the one possibility I'm really banking on as potentially realistic. To my horror, I realized that in the process of rearranging sentences, I referred to "these experiences" and modified them with "it"! Yikes!

The dopey essay was one of six, so I'm hoping it won't make that much of a difference...these posts are truly a relief, thank you everyone!

Good luck to all...I'm praying for all of you!

I spelled "committed" with one "t" on my PS. How dumb. :p

PEOPLE PEOPLE TAKE IT EASY....you guys are way stressed to much!!! One spelling mistake won't erase 4 years of hardwork :D

PS Too much and not to much...hehe, I also have a spelling mistake ;)