Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
What is it that people normally say to the essay question of "Why do you want to go to ...?

The obvious answer is because it is a great school and I want to go there.

How do you go about answering this type of question?

Thanks!:confused:

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Do some research on their website, include the stuff you like and why that school is a good match....

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Is there something about the curriculum, faculty, facilities, clerkships, research opportunities, etc that you like? Then talk about it. Why is it a great school? What would make you happy to go there for four years?

not so calm now

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You've gotta approach this from an angle of highly supportive reasons why the school would be great coupled with the lack of an obsequious attitude. If I were on an adcom I would tire quickly of the "school is so amazing, it would be an honor to count my presence as an attendee here"

Do a little creative thinking, as said before, poke around their website. Does the school pride itself on supporting its students? Emphasize how important it is for students to have support during such a trying time as a medical education. Is it close to you geographically? Emphasize how important being close to family is for you. Does the school place a high value on treating diverse population? Talk about the things you gain from seeing diverse patients as a med student. There are ways to do this without sounding totally perfunctory/boring.

Generally, they are trying to assess how likely you are to go to their school if accepted. How much do you care about them? Some people will disagree with me, but having specific ties to the area (family, SO, etc.) are very compelling reasons for a school to interview you, especially if you're within the average range of stats there.

OP
M
Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You've gotta approach this from an angle of highly supportive reasons why the school would be great coupled with the lack of an obsequious attitude. If I were on an adcom I would tire quickly of the "school is so amazing, it would be an honor to count my presence as an attendee here"

Do a little creative thinking, as said before, poke around their website. Does the school pride itself on supporting its students? Emphasize how important it is for students to have support during such a trying time as a medical education. Is it close to you geographically? Emphasize how important being close to family is for you. Does the school place a high value on treating diverse population? Talk about the things you gain from seeing diverse patients as a med student. There are ways to do this without sounding totally perfunctory/boring.

Generally, they are trying to assess how likely you are to go to their school if accepted. How much do you care about them? Some people will disagree with me, but having specific ties to the area (family, SO, etc.) are very compelling reasons for a school to interview you, especially if you're within the average range of stats there.
Thank you, all three of you for your concerned responses - I really appreciate it! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.