essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EAK27

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how ya all are doing your essays. Whatcha writing about, I am having trouble even finding a good place to start. Any suggestions????

Members don't see this ad.

I am writing my essay on why I am prepared for dental school and why I want to be a dentist. Somehow I ended up comparing it to a game of lacrosse too. My mind is so fried. I think they pretty much just want to know why you want to be a dentist and why they should pick you. It gives you a chance to be more than numbers. My essay is only 330 words but it says all of that so I think it is going to be short. I don't know how people can spend 1000 words on the subject.

Wow that is cool that your essay is 330 words! I wish I could do that. Mine is 730 words, and I cut it down from 1000. I am writing mine on why I want to be a dentist, what makes me a good candidate, and my blemished undergrad grades.
Goodluck...just start writing and it'll all flow from there..

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I thought I was being concise with 600 words! I'm a non-traditional student, originally a math/econ major going into dentistry, so I tried to justify why I had a change of heart and what tried to convince them that I have what it takes to make it.

Wow, I thought it is supposed to be an essay, not a paragraph. I laud those people who could eloquently put together everything they want to say in 300 or so words wow. Mine was 1006 words, but it told everything from my passion for dentistry to other interesting facts about my life. Just wait with secondaries more essays...what a nice summer, eh?

DesiDentist

Ok, you guys are scaring me. I just don't know what to put into my essay I guess. I am always short and too the point but I think I may have left out something important now. I guess I should add detail even though I think that is boring.

hey GT chick, I'm a lax player too!! What a great game!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

So far my essay is about 1016 words. I am trying to cut it back some, though. I would contend that an economy of speech is fine just as long as you get the point across. If you're like me and have some "splainin'" to do about your early undergraduate performance, however, then it is a little easier to fill a page.

Good luck to everyone! :wink:

hey GTchick,

My point was not to scare you. It is upto you how long your essay has to be. If 300 words will cut it that is great. I know some people who drew pictures on their essay ( i guess to illustrate their manual dexterity). I don't know, everyone is different. i guess the main point you want to get across is that you are good for their school. there is nothing wrong with using the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Good luck and don't worry. You are ahead of the game (at least you've taken your DAT and did good).

Regards,

DesiDentist

thanks ya all. I have been trying to jot stuff down as I thought of it. I am going to see what i can bang out tonight and then see what I have to work with. So far I have some stuff about me knowing that I wanted to be a health professional however did not know what was the right field for me. Ill let ya know how it goes.

I just have this quote for y'all...hopefully it'll help..

"If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own."
-Henry Ford

just read your essay from the adcom's point of view and give yourself an honest opinion of your essay...

I have 630 words now. I reread my essay and decided that I could add some stuff that I hadn't thought to before. After I do spell check I am done with it!!!