essay ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah_viola

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm confused.

How long is the AMCAS essay supposed to be? I thought I heard 200 words, but all the examples I find online are WAY more than that. Is there a specific question/topic, or is it up to us?

Is there a word limit to the essays we write for the secondary aps?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was 5266 characters, and it was very close to the limit. The essay is very important, very often I have been told that me essay is what earned me an interview. Good luck.

I believe it's like 5000 characters. The program will automatically cut you off if you try to save an essay that is too long. Spend alot of time writing the personal statement. A good personal statement is essential to getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
5300 characters including spaces

If you're already working on your AMCAS I'm amazed...

Yes, it's 5300 characters, which usually translates into about 700-900 words. You don't need to use the whole space, but I'd suspect 200 words is too short.

Originally posted by HoMuffin
5300 characters including spaces

If you're already working on your AMCAS I'm amazed...

Yeah, no kidding. If you're just filling it out now for admission in 2003, you're screwed. But if you're preparing to start on your personal statement for 2004 admission, way to go! Time is really really important for making revisions. Giving yourself plenty of time is really a smart thing to do.

Originally posted by Adcadet
But if you're preparing to start on your personal statement for 2004 admission, way to go! Time is really really important for making revisions. Giving yourself plenty of time is really a smart thing to do.

Don't be too particular getting the character number perfect is youre starting this early, also. 5300 is for the current app for 2003. Who knows if they will change it for the 2004 app that'll be out in the summer.