1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

essays on 2ndary apps vs primary apps

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mpaty, Mar 15, 2004.

1. mpaty

mpaty Junior Member

I don't understand the difference between writing essays for 2ndary applications vs essays on primary applications. Are the questions basically the same? Such as explain again why you want to be a doctor, why you want to go to this school, etc...?Those who've gone through the apps (I'm going to go through it this year), did you repeat alot of what you said on the primary vs the secondary essays?
    I guess I should start working on that essay right now, which I haven't yet--classes take up so much time.

thanks for the clarification!,
    :)
    mpaty

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    your primary app (AMCAS) has no questions. its just a personal statement. your secondary could ask you anything.

4. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi!

The questions range from really general things about your history to very specific ethical questions about your belief system.

Lot of schools ask "Why do you want to come to our instituion?".
    Also questions about why you are different, how your clinical experience has affected you, what you are doing during your application year, and if you took time off between applying and school, what you did during that time. One secondary asked where my value system came from, another asked me to recount a time when I felt I truly helped someone. They run the gamut. I'm a pretty good source for this too, considering I applied to all 125 allopathic schools.:horns:

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

and...

what is an (the biggest) obstacle you overcame?
    do you consider yourself disadvantaged, why?
    what is your biggest problem?
    what will you add to our intitution (and its diversity)?
    questions about healthcare.
    questions about your undergrad or major.
    what is your most scholarly work?
    have you done research?
    have you worked with the underserved?
    how did you hear about our school?
    questions about leadership, clinical, research, etc experience (what is the one most important one).
    what will you contribute to society?
    what kind of dr do you want to be and why?

so on and so forth...

6. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    tho your personal statement might be one of the most important things you ever write....

but the secondary essays allow for the school to get to know you better(also very important)...unless of course they are the schools that ask for a $$$ alone haha.

7. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

I'm certain I saw a website once that had abunch of the questions from different schools.

Just find out what the schools used last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. They don't change! Or atleast not much in the last 5 years. Some are identical year after year.

Are you going to apply to Creighton? If so, here is their secondary... it's a pdf.

Attached Files:

8. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

I tried to attach George Washington and rochester pdfs... Alas.. to big. :(

This is UCLA - 2003 I think
    Describe a problem in your life. Describe how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
    What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
    What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
    What has been the most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
    Describe involvement in one non-academic activity that has been most important in your life.

A question from Vandy
    In addition to preparing you to be an excellent physician, Vanderbilt is committed to educating leaders and scholars in clinical practice, basic research, clinical research, education, and health policy. Describe any skills or experiences that have prepared you for one or more of these broader missions.

Dartmouth (2002!)
    1)Please indicate what you are doing during the 2001-02 academic year. If in school, list courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.
    2)Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Yale
    Please use this section to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale. You may also use this to bring to the attention, info not discussed elsewhere, if you feel it is important to understanding your application.

SLU
    1. Please list the years of any previous applications to Saint Louis University School of Medicine.
    2. Is any member of your family a student or a graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?
    3. On another sheet of paper, please type the following:
    a. If you are not a full-time undergraduate student during the 2003-04 academic year, please describe your current activities.
    b. If you have not already written this on the AMCAS application, please describe briefly the reasons why you want to enter medical school. You may also make any other statement you wish to the Admissions Committee. Please do not send videotapes, cassettes, or other bulky materials.
    4. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation or juvenile offense?
    5. Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for: (1) unacceptable academic performance or (2) conduct violations?
    6. Have you read and do you understand the academic and technical standards described on the medical school Web site found at http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions/ and can you comply with those requirements?
    7. Please date and sign this form.

JHU
    1)Have you ever discontinued attendance at or been dismissed from any school or college? (400 chars)
    2)Describe briefly how you selected your undergraduate school and major area of study: (900 chars)
    3)If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 chars)
    4)If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 chars)
    5)List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: (600 chars)
    6) List Employment Experience(7lines): Employer,position,hours/week,start,stop
    7)List your major unpaid extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests, and travel following entrance to college, and indicate your degree of involvement(12 lines):Activity,position,hours/week,start,stop
    8)Briefly describe your most rewarding experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud: (900 chars)
    9)Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment: (1100 chars)
    10)List letters of recomendation.

Collumbia
    1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician? (2484 CHARACTERS.)
    2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*
    3. Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies*
    4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*( 207 CHARACTERS.)
    5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?* (1104 chars)
    6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. (1311 CHARACTERS)
    7. If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.

Loma Linda
    1) Describe the extent and sources of your knowledge of LLUSM.
    2) What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you?
    3) What traits make you a desirable candidate for admissions to LLUSM?
    4) This school is a 7-Day adv. School. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly services are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals.
    5) Describe your relationship with that church or religious group.

Northwestern ( Theirs changed though... I think)
    1. SPECIAL PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS - Develop a profile of a ?good? physician. Choose descriptive attitudes and behaviors you think a physician should possess. How closely do you fit the profile? (The boxed space can contain approximately 400 words.)
    2. CAREER INFLUENCES - What processes have you used to explore your commitment to a career in medicine? Describe in detail your evolution of thought and discovery experiences that led to your decision. Be specific.(The boxed space can contain approximately 400 words.)
    3. YOUR INTEREST IN NUMS - Why do you want to attend Northwestern University Medical School? What contributions will you make to Northwestern University Medical School? (The boxed space can contain approximately 300 words.)

UCSD
    1) AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
    This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, early adult years, and future career goals in medicine. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. DO NOT EXCEED THE SPACE PROVIDED FOR THIS PURPOSE(no more than two pages long) Use a font size or pitch which is easily readable.

Duke (some changes though)
    a) had an essay question about medical ethics...
    1) In the adjacent space, please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?
    2) Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?
    3) Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?
    4) In the adjacent space, please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are proudest and why.
    5) Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title.
    6) Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

Emory
    9. Briefly describe (50 words or less) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student:
    10. Briefly describe (100 words or less) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement.: (Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe in more detail)
    11. Briefly discuss (100 words or less) any special interest(s) attracting you to Emory.
    [Please note: If you have a relative or close acquaintance who attended Emory, please indicate your relationship to this person and the school within the University (e.g. Medical School) they attended.]"

Vermont (never changes... yet)
    1. Names and populations of towns and cities you have lived in:
    2. Activities since completion of the AMCAS application:

Loyola(2001)
    1)What do you consider a valuable experience?
    2) describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.
    3) How did you reach your decision to enter medicine?
    4) What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work.
    5) If you will not be enrolled, what will you be doing?

9. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

wow, creighton lets you or wants alumni to write a letter for you? interesting...

10. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Hey BrickHouse, 125!!!!:wow: You can't be serious!!! :scared:

Tulane(2003)
    8) Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?
    9) Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (eg, items you collect, genre of favorite reading material)
    10) Father's occupation, Mother's occupation, age of siblings
    11) List and leadership positions, in clubs or oranizations, you may have held during your colege years.
    12) What was the single most meaningful volunteer experiance you have had?
    13) Briefly desribe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

Tulane(2000)
    8) Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?
    9) Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (eg, items you collect, genre of favorite reading material)
    10) Who most influenced you to aspire to a career in medicine (check 1)
    11) List the three major reasons why you aspire to a career in medicine
    12) Briefly desribe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

Chicago Pritzer
    1) If you have been involved inresearch, what did you learn that makes this type of experience woth recommending to others (1300char)
    2) Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped someone (1300char )

Tufts
    1) Why have you applied to Tufts University School of Medicine?
    Please describe and relationship you or any member of your family has had with Tufts.

Boston
    1. What are you doing?.. or something like that

Temple
    On-line app. Don't remember if they asked any essay questions.

... I guess that's enough for now... Any specific ones you're interested in?

Mt Sinai's application in pdf

Attached Files:

11. kings2

kings2 Member
    7+ Year Member

Mr. Reddly,

How bout 2ndaries for any of the MA schools (tufts, bu). Or the chicago schools (loyola, rush). Or Jefferson, GW, Temple?

thanks so much!

kings

12. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    brick....im not worthy....125...whew...i thought 43 was a lot.

haha hey kings 2...ill post when i can...im in the middle of compiling a list like the one up here for my friend.

but what i remember tufts was very short and easy....like what connection do you have with boston...

bu has none. they want your money...100 dollars to be exact...so if you know you are strongly considering that place...then pay....i should have never turned in that damn check....

rush has like 10-12 questions that have no limit. so thats gonna take a while.

the rest ill get back to ya.

13. finnpipette

finnpipette Fallen from Grace
    7+ Year Member

wow...and the new wave of applications begins...i'm feeling old

14. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    lol, i hear yah!

15. mpaty

mpaty Junior Member

Wow, just checked email. Thank you for all your replies! Answering these questions first will probably be a good start before doing my personal statement. I have a list of about 30 schools right now which I will probably narrow down and Creighton is among them! I want to apply to all 30 since I want to get into at least one!

Brickhouse, can I ask why you applied to so many? Was it your first time applying too? Maybe 30 schools ain't so bad :)

I appreciate all the replies,
    mpaty

16. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Yeah, I was kidding. Wouldn't that be funny though?

17. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think GW just asks why you want to go there, and same for Jefferson....funny I'm going to GW and I can't even remember their secondary...just goes to show ya...

And YES I WAS KIDDING about the 125 schools! Could you even imagine? I think my actual total was 29, althought AMCAS sent 37 schools my primary.

18. kings2

kings2 Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks guys :)

2ndaries sound like a [email protected]#$

jlee, looking forward to hearing--

did you guys get started on the secondaries essays ahead of time, if so around when? I'm thinking of applying in June-- the 2ndaries come in August or so?

kings

19. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you want to start forming ideas that's cool, but I would just be prepared to spend weekends writing once they start coming. Don't let them sit around once you get them, because they start to pile up and then you start procrastinating and feeling overwhelmed.

20. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a pretty good source for this too, considering I applied to all 125 allopathic schools.

YES!!!