Essential M2 books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

We had an "essential M1 books" thread now lets do the same for M2 books. The fewer the better!

Members don't see this ad.

Baby Robbins
First Aid
Micro Made Ridiculously Simple

Members don't see this ad :)
Baby Robbins
First Aid

I like BRS path too. Also, I love the BRS flashcards for everything (the ones with one fact per card)- they're great to flip through a few times and have helped me pick up a few quick points on every single exam this year.

Baby Robbins
First Aid

+ Goljan Rapid Review (instead of BRS - I wish I hadn't waited until it was too late in the year to make using RR worthwhile)
also, Robbins Review is great for doing tons of questions the weekend before a test.

Don't waste your money on Big Robbins like I did. I don't think I've opened it since last semester.

+ Goljan Rapid Review (instead of BRS - I wish I hadn't waited until it was too late in the year to make using RR worthwhile)
also, Robbins Review is great for doing tons of questions the weekend before a test.

Don't waste your money on Big Robbins like I did. I don't think I've opened it since last semester.

I just bought rapid review on Friday.

I read the necessary chapters in Big Robbins at least 2x's before every exam. I like it. But I also started reading Goodman and Gilman for pharm -- I wish I had had that book at the beginning of the semester. It's really good.

BRS Pathology
First Aid

And add a set of pharm cards (I have Lange). For me it is the only way of getting all those little details down. That and I don't have the problem of trying to make my own tables/cards for the info.

First Aid for Step 1
BRS Pathology
Pharmacology for the Boards and Wards
BRS Behavioral Science
Pre-Test Physical Diagnosis

Micro Made Simple
Pocket Robbins
Goljan RR
First Aid

Plus you'll want various sources of practice questions, either Robbins, BRS, or Pre-test depending on the subject.

Robbins
Rapid Review Path- I had BRS path but liked rapid review much better
Baby Katzung for pharm- I suggest making your own cards
Levinson's Review of Medical Micro and Immuno- excellent
Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple if you like the silliness

Pathology:
-Robbins (I used big robbins = pathological basis of disease)
-BRS Pathology
-I didn't use Goljan Rapid Review Path, but have heard it is better than BRS
-Pathophysiology Boards/Wards (not essential, used during Step 1 review "down time")

Pharmacology:
-Katzung/Trevor Pharmacology examination and board review (baby katzung)
-Lippincott's Illustrated Review Pharmacology is not as comprehensive, but either one (plus First Aid) is enough for Step 1
-Pharm Cards (not the one made by BRS): shared with a couple of classmates

Microbiology:
-Micro made ridiculously simple (the mnemonics are actually pretty helpful)
-Levinson/Jawetz Micro/Immuno Examination and Board Review (I liked the immunology section)

Behavioral Sciences/Psychopathology:
-High Yield Behavioral Science

And of course: FIRST AID :)

Robbins
Rapid Review Path- I had BRS path but liked rapid review much better
Baby Katzung for pharm- I suggest making your own cards
Levinson's Review of Medical Micro and Immuno- excellent
Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple if you like the silliness

Are Goljan's notes and audio enough for path or is there something else that I should add?

Any thoughts on Kaplan for Micro, Pharm, and Behavioral Science?

Last edited:
should i really buy the A books in the back of first aid?

should i really buy the A books in the back of first aid?

I recommend making a trip to the bookstore and scanning through them to find out which one or two best suit your style.

how%20to%20date%20a%20white%20woman.jpg

There are so many Robbins, review? baby? big?

What are the differences?

If you have a hard time memorizing things, then the "ridiculously made simple" series are excellent. Esp the microbio, the neuro, and the physiology. You may like all of them.