Establish residency in another state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is my dilemma. I currently reside in a state with a very good medical schoo (UNC) and would be happy going to med school there, but I would prefer to go to MUSC (Charleston) over Chapel Hill. I have read that MUSC is nearly impossible to get into if you are not an in-state applicant. I am not an extremely competitive applicant so I risk not getting into either, but here are my questions:

1) Is it easier to get into MUSC or UNC as an in-state applicant.
2) I have to take a year off after undergraduate anyway, so should I use that year to establish residency in SC before applying to MUSC? I would probably be forfeiting any chance to attend UNC if I did this, which makes me nervous since I am such a Tarheel :), but I think that I would prefer to live in Charleston. I guess this would also mean that I would have to take 2 years off because I would have to establish residency before even applying. Worth it?
3) Does anyone have any first-hand experience with MUSC? I would love to hear about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I can answer part of that. Yes, it is nearly impossible to get in if you are not a resident, though there is a slight chance. However, the chance approaches being totally impossible if you don't at least already have strong ties to the state.

The residency thing for tuition DOES require one year. That does not necessarily mean that one must be a resident for an entire year BEFORE APPLYING.

I have heard that Joan in the admissions office is a very friendly person to talk to. She might be able to answer some of your questions if you can't find answers through their webpages or web searches.

Numbers posted for enrollment stats are always out of date and have been increasing yearly.

Also, there is a SC schools thread. People on there might be able to offer you some advice, too.