Establishing in-state residency for CA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm from Pennsylvania, but I am interviewing at UCSF in January. One thing I was wondering: is it possible to establish CA residency after the first or second year, or is such a thing impossible (for tuition purposes)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a PA resident! I applied to and interviewed at UCSD.

The rules about changing residency are very specific. You CANNOT change your residency status for tuition purpose! In other words, if you are only in the state of CA to obtain an education, you will not be able to get in-state tuition rates.

That being said, if you can demonstrate that you have a vested interest in changing your residency status, you should be able to get in-state tuition. For example, if you are married, and your spouse obtains a job in the state of California, and also changes his/her residency, then I think you would be justified in doing the same, and claiming in-state tuition.

Law2Doc probably has better insight into this. I'm certainly not an expert, but this is my understanding of the matter.

I am also a PA resident! I applied to and interviewed at UCSD.

The rules about changing residency are very specific. You CANNOT change your residency status for tuition purpose! In other words, if you are only in the state of CA to obtain an education, you will not be able to get in-state tuition rates.

That being said, if you can demonstrate that you have a vested interest in changing your residency status, you should be able to get in-state tuition. For example, if you are married, and your spouse obtains a job in the state of California, and also changes his/her residency, then I think you would be justified in doing the same, and claiming in-state tuition.

Law2Doc probably has better insight into this. I'm certainly not an expert, but this is my understanding of the matter.

Yeah I think this is the case. It's harder (that means impossible, they look for this kind of stuff) if you are enrolled in a school and paying tuition to change status. But if you're working there, it only takes a year and a drivers liscense. It MAY be worth getting the acceptance then defering a year if you could. If not, UCSF is worth the money anyway.(edit: whoops, UCSD...maybe not)

If you have a SO in the state I think the rules change again and you may be able to fudge it even if you are moving there and attending school straight away.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting. For example, my cousin was originally from PA as well but went to South Carolina for med school and was able to change his state of residency after the first year (and pay a lot less tuition). I wonder if CA is much more strict than this, since I have no idea personally.

That's interesting. For example, my cousin was originally from PA as well but went to South Carolina for med school and was able to change his state of residency after the first year (and pay a lot less tuition). I wonder if CA is much more strict than this, since I have no idea personally.

Yeah I'm sure it depends on the state. It's probably more difficult in Cali, because they already have so many CA residents trying to get into med school and most of the schools in Cali are UC schools...

Purely anecdotal: I have an out-of-state friend who attended a private college in CA, was accepted to UCSD as an OOS applicant, and qualified for in-state tuition beginning with year 2. Myself, I had never set foot in CA before my freshman year but got in-state tuition at UCSD straight out of college.

A lot depends on personal situation but if you study the registrar's requirements for in-state tuition (using in-state ATMs during vacations and keeping receipts, paying taxes, etc) and play your cards right you should be able to avoid OOS tuition by 3rd year.

I don't know about the other UCs but I know UCSD has non-need based scholarship funds for a few OOS students to cover that part of their tuition.

My OOS classmates all got in-state tuition after the 1st year. They changed everything over to CA immediately after arriving. I am not sure if being married helps or not. If you check with the financial aid office they should be able to advise you on how to get in-state tuition after 1 year.

Hey! I'm from Pennsylvania, but I am interviewing at UCSF in January. One thing I was wondering: is it possible to establish CA residency after the first or second year, or is such a thing impossible (for tuition purposes)? Thanks!

Hey what date? We may be interviewing at the same time!

Purely anecdotal: I have an out-of-state friend who attended a private college in CA, was accepted to UCSD as an OOS applicant, and qualified for in-state tuition beginning with year 2. Myself, I had never set foot in CA before my freshman year but got in-state tuition at UCSD straight out of college.

A lot depends on personal situation but if you study the registrar's requirements for in-state tuition (using in-state ATMs during vacations and keeping receipts, paying taxes, etc) and play your cards right you should be able to avoid OOS tuition by 3rd year.

I don't know about the other UCs but I know UCSD has non-need based scholarship funds for a few OOS students to cover that part of their tuition.

Great news! Now I just need to get that all important offer of admission!