Establishing in-state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BACMEDIC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In-state tuition can be a considerable savings over out-of-state, especially DO schools, so those schools that allow you to establish in-state residency after a year are high on my list.

Usually one has to meet certain criteria before the school will allow a switch. Often this includes some combination of getting an in-state drivers license, registering to vote, paying taxes to the state, or even buying real estate. Of course, the more of this paper you have under belt, the better chances you have in establishing residency, and hence, a lower tuition rate for the remaining years in school. Or is it?

My concern is this. I have multiple acceptances, but the school I fell in love with just happens to be extremely expensive for out-of-state folks. If I can establish residency, then no problem, I?ll gladly take the hit for the first year. But if I can?t switch residency, I would be better off financially at another school.

I?m an older student, so payback time must be considered. Also, I do plan on practicing in a rural area, so income may not be as high as it could be if I practiced elsewhere. I feel that I will be taking a huge gamble if I go with my top choice school and end up with considerable debt if I can't make the switch.

My questions are:

1) Just how many people have successfully established residency after acceptance (for those schools that allow it)?

2) What schools were they?

3) Is there a way to find out what the success rate is for switching residency at a particular school (is that figure published somewhere, or would the school gladly provide that information)?

It would be great to hear from those who have and from those who have not switched.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

not sure about any others but UMDNJ-SOM told me they allow their students to move down to NJ and will fill out paper work so they get in state residency for THE FIRST YEAR and all following years as well of course.

this is making my decision very difficult (PCOM vs. UMDNJ-SOM), I already turned down NSU and this northeast weather is like a slap in the face from Fort Lauderdale.

good luck with your search!

-J

It is usually written into the school by-laws. My school for instance, will specifically not do this. I have to take a year off, or I would have had to marry an in-state resident. My wife and I almost divroced and remarried, would have saved about 100K

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of requesting residency from a school right now. They wanted drivers license pics, rental agreements/property deed, how long you have lived in a location, bank records establishing time of residence, and w-2 forms from work and such. It was a lot of paperwork including a notery to sign a form as well.

I also had to look at these options.

1) You must be in the state for one year in order to establish residency and work.

2) Buying property does not necessarily equate with being a resident.

3) Marrying a resident is the only way that is quicker than waiting a whole year.

4) A few schools will make an exception and consider you in-state for your last year IF you decide to do a residency in their state.

From the top of my head, residency application is easy for allopathic students in the following states:

Everyone pays instate tuition fee from year 1 on, in New Jersey. Students in Ohio, North Calorina, Illinois, Colorado get the discount from second year on.

Tha same requirement for eligibility should apply to osteopathic students too. Correct me if I am wrong. Add some name if anyone would like.