establishing residency after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamorama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to establish residency after attending a public med school for one year? eg. If i went to UofMaryland SOM as an OOS student would it ever be possible for me to pay in state tuition after say one or two years? Seems unlikely...thought i'd ask

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools it's impossible: Massachusetts comes to mind.
Other states, you just have to buy property instead of rent for a year: Texas.

You'll have to look at each state to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
But for the majority of states the answer is NO. If you are in another state for educational purposes (college, medical school) that does not count towards residency of that state.

FWIW, Ohio State Med has an office dedicated to helping you jump through the hoops of getting residency. You can get it after your first year.

"The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey has a liberal policy for establishing residency that allows both in-state and out-of-state matriculants, who meet requirements of car registration and a lease for upcoming residence in the state, to enjoy this tuition advantage. This means that all students qualify for the above tuition and fees."

Straight off the UMDNJ RWJ web site...NJ is actually good for something.