establishing residency in another state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this?
I'm thinking of attending grad school a state away, but I would continue to live in MI. Are there any "rules" as to what one has to do to establish residency in another state or does it just depend on the school? (I assume one can only be a resident of one state :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

rose786 said:
I'm thinking of attending grad school a state away, but I would continue to live in MI. Are there any "rules" as to what one has to do to establish residency in another state or does it just depend on the school? (I assume one can only be a resident of one state :laugh: )

no experience here but from what I've read some schools are more strict about it than others.

I know UNLV mentions that you can become an NV resident after your first year right on the website. However, I may have also read that at another school (I think Maryland) you may not change residency status just to get cheaper tuition.

not to go off the topic, but are you 786mine?!

Members don't see this ad :)
rose786 said:

depends on the state; for many states, like NY, you become a state resident after one year worth of residence in tha state, whether or not you are attanding a public school there. for other states, one has to not only be in that state for a whole year but not be there for school. i'e, get a job for at least a year in that state. examples are georgia and maryland.

come to NY :D

soswank said:
not to go off the topic, but are you 786mine?!

um, no.

establishing residency seems like a lot of paper work. I'll have to investigate some more...

rose786 said:
um, no.

establishing residency seems like a lot of paper work. I'll have to investigate some more...

I moved right in the middle of application and as previous posts have said, it depends on the state. Generally speaking, the board of regents for the state university system is the group that determines who will qualify for in-state tuition. Most states have certain rules that can provide immediate residency for spouses of full-time state/university employees or military folks, but if you are moving on your own, you'll likely have to reside for a year and find work prior to applying.

I moved to NE from TX. Luckily my wife moved us for a university position and I gained residency immediately. I had to point out multiple times to multiple people that I was a resident by law, but in the end the people that mattered in defining the classification were aware of the legality though some of the interviewers were skeptical.

rose786 said:

You probably have to move there, work in that state for 1-2 years, pay state tax, and register your car, get a driver license in that state, and register to vote in that state. Dental schools usually have links regarding who they will consider to be an in-state resident some are more stringent than others. :) Good luck!

I moved right before I submitted my AADSAS so I was in residency limbo. From the perspective of the dental schools, I technically wasn't a resident of any state... and I only applied to state schools! Luckily I got into my top choices as an out-of-stater and now I qualify for in-state residency since it's been 12 months.

My lesson learned? residency for admission and residency for tuition are two different things at some schools!

Make sure you check out each school's policy now because a lot of the paperwork needs to be started 12 months in advance...

NoBraces said:
some are more stringent than others.
i can say from experience that UMD is one of those 'stringent' schools :thumbdown:

:laugh:

syn_apse said:
i can say from experience that UMD is one of those 'stringent' schools :thumbdown:

:laugh:

this maybe a tad late but I just checked UofMichigan and it seems like its darn near impossible to attain in-state just like Maryland

i have a different question, same topic.

i'm a FL resident, but may be moving to boston for 1 YEAR to do biotech research and go to dental school in 2007.

am I going to lose FL residency because I became an independent in another state for a year? I plan on keeping my car in FL, keeping my FL ID, voter registration, etc. so i can apply to UF.

anybody see issues with this?

whiskeysour said:
am I going to lose FL residency because I became an independent in another state for a year?
it would be a good idea to call UF yourself. many schools require you to be physically present in the state for the 12 months before school starts... make sure there is no doubt how UF will determine your residency before you move!

Some states (like Penn.) will allow you to become an instant resident if you buy a house. Many states need a "show of intent" to live in the state. Buying a house can show that intent. Something to think about. Plus after 4 years you can sell the house and make a nice profit. My sister made $40000 in profit when she grad. from dental school. Also the instant in-state saved her money too.

it varies with school. i had the hardest time establishing residency at the UC's. They're requirement for tuition purposes was that you have to be financially independent for the last 2 years. I think this is if you are below 25 years of age.

isurus22 said:
Some states (like Penn.) will allow you to become an instant resident if you buy a house. Many states need a "show of intent" to live in the state. Buying a house can show that intent. Something to think about. Plus after 4 years you can sell the house and make a nice profit. My sister made $40000 in profit when she grad. from dental school. Also the instant in-state saved her money too.

Actually, I think if you live there for about 90 days (doing whatever) you can establish residency in Pennsylvania. There was a big push to get all of the freshmen at Penn (u-grad) registered as Pennsylvanian residents to vote in the 2004 election. I don't really know how it works though, but that's what happened.

isurus22 said:

that's if you can afford to buy a house in the first place.