Establishing residency in Cal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldudecal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got accepted to UCLA but am wondering if a can get residency after living there a year. I was born and lived in Cal for a number of years and then my family moved, so I am no longer a resident and haven't been for a few years. Anyone know the details on this? I have heard that California is one of the few states where you can establish residency after a year even if you are taking classes. Is this true? Any information is very appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not sure about UCLA, but i called the financial aid office at UCSF as I am in a similar situation. The adviser there told me that about 98% of out of state students that try to switch over are able to, as long as all the other prerequisites for residency after 1 yr are met. she did ask me of which state i am currently a resident, as some of the western states have agreements with CA that won't allow you to switch residency for tuition purposes or something, but she said maryland was fine. just call the financial office at UCLA and ask.

cobalt31, have you decided on where to attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
The lady at UCSF is correct. You can claim residency in California after taking classes for a year. So after a year, you will be a resident!

Congrats on your acceptance to UCLA!

does anyone know how competitive it is to go into the dentistry field in Cali? Im graduating with BS in Dental Hygiene from a different state, planning to do predent/ postbac in one of the schools in CA, while working as a DH.

Do I have to be living in Cali for a couple of years to be resident/ to be able to work here?? Goin to school there is probably a safer option, huh?
How do I get instate tuition??

Man i just wanna move to CA, i love it there...I mean my bro and my cousin and aunt lives there, too..does it work if I use their address, i mean i will be livin with them, anyway..

any suggestion?

does anyone know how competitive it is to go into the dentistry field in Cali? Im graduating with BS in Dental Hygiene from a different state, planning to do predent/ postbac in one of the schools in CA, while working as a DH.

Do I have to be living in Cali for a couple of years to be resident/ to be able to work here?? Goin to school there is probably a safer option, huh?
How do I get instate tuition??

Man i just wanna move to CA, i love it there...I mean my bro and my cousin and aunt lives there, too..does it work if I use their address, i mean i will be livin with them, anyway..

any suggestion?

You don't have to be a Cali resident to work in Cali...