Establishing state residency for medical school during a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted982915

Hello!

I will be moving to a different state with fiance shortly before I begin medical school application and I was wondering if anyone had any insight about how this would affect my residency.

I plan on applying to the medical schools within my new state as well as establishing myself as a resident. I will live there for over a year while working there and switching everything of mine over to that state before classes will start. However, I will not be classified as a resident of that state when I submit my application.

How will this affect my application as well as tuition fees? If I apply to these schools as an out of state applicant and somehow able to be accepted, will I be stuck as an out of stater because of my out of state application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I will be moving to a different state with fiance shortly before I begin medical school application and I was wondering if anyone had any insight about how this would affect my residency.

I plan on applying to the medical schools within my new state as well as establishing myself as a resident. I will live there for over a year while working there and switching everything of mine over to that state before classes will start. However, I will not be classified as a resident of that state when I submit my application.

How will this affect my application as well as tuition fees? If I apply to these schools as an out of state applicant and somehow able to be accepted, will I be stuck as an out of stater because of my out of state application?
I'm not an expert, so definitely verify what I am saying with at least some of the schools in the state you are applying, but my understanding is that in many, if not most, states, the residency requirement is one year prior to matriculation, so I think you will be fine. You would apply as IS, even though you will have been a resident for less than a year at the time of your application, because you will be able to show when asked that you will have been a resident for more than one year before classes start.

Just keep in mind that pretty much all states do NOT allow you to accrue time as a resident while you are a full-time student, or while you are not providing at least half of your own support (i.e., if you are working making $15,000 (after taxes) while your parents are supplementing that with $16,000 so you can live, have health insurance, car, apartment, food, etc., that would be a problem in most states).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the help!

For those of you that are interested in finding answers to this questions, this is what I was told when I reached out to the education board of the state.

However, this could be different for other states.
773CB489-5088-4868-A955-7D44F9D7E957.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user